Quantcast

I pimped my kitchen!

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
My kitchen project is finally done. Here is the breakdown:

* Replaced drop ceiling/foam tile/fluorescent light crap with drywall with recessed spots.

* Painted all walls and existing wall tile ("Linen white" color)

* Installed maple crown molding.

* Refaced cabinets with Cherry wood.

* Resurfaced counter tops with granite / installed new sink w/plumbing.

* Installed cherry hardwood floor (laminated plywood).

I made the flooring myself, cutting each board, sanding, and staining, finished off with 4 coats of satin polyurethane. 400+ boards, 1200 nails (not sure I'd do that again).

Cost:

Ceiling: $300
Paint/misc: $150
Counter top / sink: $600
Cabinets:$200
Floor: $210

Total cost: $1,460

The key was that I bought 350 square feet of cherry plywood (used for cabinets and floor for $160 (retails for about $600).

Total time spent... ~175 hours.

here are some pics in general order (before/after style...)

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
MMike said:
Have I got a deal for you!! I happen to be selling a dining set: table chairs, hutch buffet) that would match the table and stool in second pic!!

Are you ever in luck!!
heheh... I actually resurfaced that side table with granite that is flush with the main counter....

I do need a dining room table though... what style, wood... pics?

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
Now you can kick back and have a beer.. then get your Butt out and ride!!!!!!!!!!! Im sure it took away from your riding time.. so you have some riding to do

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
narlus said:
sweet! looks great, nice job. my only slight nitpick is that you didn't spec an undermount sink.
Im quitethe n00b at this redecorating thing, but I had the original countertop with backerboard under the new granite to deal with, so an overmount was really the only possibility...

I am actually my own apprentice with this house, trying all this type of stuff for the first time (drywall, electrical, plumbing etc.).

Im learning all of this to start buying, fixing and selling foreclosed houses as a business (to start in the next few weeks).

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the Inbred said:
any advantages, or just cosmetics?
the biggest benefit is ease of cleanup. just take a sponge to the counter and wipe directly to the sink. and no caulking to worry about (at least not there) and grime buildup.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Crashby said:
heheh... I actually resurfaced that side table with granite that is flush with the main counter....

I do need a dining room table though... what style, wood... pics?
wELL YOU'D HAVE TO come to Montreal to get...

But it's the same style as the stool. White painted legs/base with the finished wood tops....

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
Crashby said:
Im learning all of this to start buying, fixing and selling foreclosed houses as a business (to start in the next few weeks).
SWEEEEEEEET!! Too bad you aren't in Colorado. I'm just finishing up gutting my bathroom. Between the two of us the most difficult rooms in the house would be covered. Of course, we'd both be thinking "screw working today I'm riding." :D

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
Morryjg said:
SWEEEEEEEET!! Too bad you aren't in Colorado. I'm just finishing up gutting my bathroom. Between the two of us the most difficult rooms in the house would be covered. Of course, we'd both be thinking "screw working today I'm riding." :D
ummmmm yea... bathroom starts this weekend.

I'm really considering tiling around the vanity instead of removing it and tiling the whole floor... is that considered half-assed? I will definitely remove the toilet for the tiling, but I would have to cut pipes, and whatnot to do under the vanity.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
Crashby said:
ummmmm yea... bathroom starts this weekend.

I'm really considering tiling around the vanity instead of removing it and tiling the whole floor... is that considered half-assed?
That's what I did. I used 2x4 to raise the vanity up to compensate for the additional height that the tile created. I ripped the 2x4 down to roughly 2x2 I think. I'm going to put trim around the bottom of the vanity to cover up the riser that is exposed. There is really no point to putting tile under the vanity. I did a similar deal when I put hardwood floor in our kitchen. I used 3/4 inch plywood under the refridgerator and the stove to bring it up to the height of the wood floor.

I also put a tile heater in so I can have a warm floor in the morning when I get out of the shower. :D