Quantcast

i pinched my Thomson post

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
dang, i didn't think that was possible, but i guess my attempts to keep my post from slipping weren't too smart.

anyone want a 31.6 Thomson post for cheap? :(

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I pinched a loaf about two hours ago :D dang, i didn't think that was possible, but i guess my attempts to keep it from slipping weren't too smart.

anybody want a pinched loaf cheap?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
yeah, crimped, that's the word. don't seatpost clamps put equal pressure around the seattube? oh, but Thomson posts aren't circular inside. damnit. i've never hamfisted anything.

--edit--

31.6, also.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
DOH! I read it as "stem" the first time.

Damn that's bad news. I didn't think that was possible with at seatpost. How much is still intact? You could cut it off and sell it to a DHer with a M1.

Mike

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Ouch! Will Thomson warranty such things?

I've never understood why people fork out the cash for a Thomson...nice clamping mechanism...but are there other reasons? Someone please enlighten me. Yes, I have played with one IN PERSON :eek:

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
xbluethunderx said:
I've never understood why people fork out the cash for a Thomson...nice clamping mechanism...but are there other reasons? Someone please enlighten me. Yes, I have played with one IN PERSON :eek:
Here is one reason:

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
yeah my bb7 had a thompson post and stem when i got it. i thought the post was cool but the stem. man i love that stem. it is insanly light. i dont think id have a thompson post if it didnt come w/ my frame but now that ive got a thompson stem i dont think im gonna runn another one

xbluethunderx said:
...I've never understood why people fork out the cash for a Thomson...nice clamping mechanism...but are there other reasons? Someone please enlighten me. Yes, I have played with one IN PERSON :eek:
They selectively machine material from the inside of the tube, trying to keep material where the loading requires it while keeping the total weight low.

I bought one based on word of mouth on the :monkey: after I bent about three ordinary seat posts in various crashes. It does not seem to have bent yet.

J

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
As others have said, Thomson will likely replace it if you call them.....

*EDIT*
Now that I look back, nobody really said that, they said contact Thomson, but I'm saying it :)

dirtyj

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
austin
the Inbred said:
you can kinda see the 3 little crimps. the highest one being right by the "S".

damn inbred u need to stay of the weights. I didn't think that was possible. how for down is it. I use a 31.6 on my dh rig. I'll take it off your hands if its not to far up.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
zod said:
As others have said, Thomson will likely replace it if you call them.....
sent an e-mail and they said it was purely cosmetic. now sending a picture to see if it really is just cosmetic.

Lefty said:
Pff... i had a Extralight saddlepost,on my ex xcbike, and it was 180 grams for 330 mm. A Thomson won't beat that. And still it was very strong.
how much are they? Thomsons are $60.

dirtyj said:
damn inbred u need to stay of the weights. I didn't think that was possible. how for down is it. I use a 31.6 on my dh rig. I'll take it off your hands if its not to far up.
well you can see the crimps in the picture. it took a bit of working to get it out of my frame, but it'll still go in. if Thomson says it's fine, you can have it. i don't think anyone would pay too much for it, anyway. i'll let you know.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
ok, Thomson says it's cosmetic, and that the post is fine. dirtyj, want me to just leave the post with Clay at BSS?

Lefty

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Megan calls me a babe.
the Inbred said:
how much are they? Thomsons are $60.

The Post 2 Hyper accurate cnc clamps, special stainless bolts, double-butted Ergal tube, black or silver anodized, sizes: 26.8 - 27.0 - 27.2 - 30.9 - 31.4 - 31.6mm x 360-400mm; 168gr. 27.2x360mm, 178gr. 30.9mmx360, 188gr. 31.6mmx360mm. $119.-

Ehmm i only paid 74 euros'at that time for it.. because i had a discount at it.
Normally it was a few years ago 99 euro's .

so the price must be correct in us dollars.

60 dollars is really cheap for a Thomson.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Larry at MountainHigh Cyclery sells Thomsons shipped for $60. i think stems are $65, but don't quote me on that.