Quantcast

I planted 3 trees, and it isn't even earthday.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Redmaple
Eastern Redbud
American Holly

Anyone into trees? I am a bit...have quite a diverse collection on my small plot of land here. 20+ species easily. 1 more today with the redbud, which supposedly I can use to flavor meat.

...Hey look, geese flying in a V.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I went out and snowshoed almost 4 miles amongst the trees. There is a grove really old cedars along a gully I like to visit. Does that count? I did see where it looked like a coyote tried to take down a deer. Tracks converging to lots of marks in the snow, a little blood, then tracks leading in 2 directions. I followed the deer tracks for a while but lost them at a creek. Very cool stuff. No signs of spring here yet...

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
That's pretty interesting. Spring is getting on well here. Maples have big buds on them, daffodils are already blooming.
Would like to see some coyote action down here. Saw a big one dead beside the road the other day...hear them at night, but they are a rare sight.

Here's the tree species off the top of my head that I have on my land.
Red Maple
Eastern Redbud
American Holly
Silver Maple
Tulip Poplar
White Pine
Black Walnut
Black Cherry
Umbrella Magnolia
White Oak
Chestnut Oak
Mockernut Hickory
Eastern Red Cedar
White Cedar
American Beech
Lombardy Poplar
Apple
Pear
American Chestnut
Smooth Bark Sumac (Blaaaaaaaaaaah!!!)
Mimosa (blah!)
Yew
Scarlet Oak

Edit: Flowering Dogwood

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Oh and speaking of cedars... I saw a whole logging truck FULL of eastern reds today when I was taking the dog to play in the river. Big ones too, 20" diamaters on some of them. Rare to see them logged, down here anyway...bet they are worth alot.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Yeah they run kind of dinky up here. Most folks plant them in their yards and call them Junipers.
technically they are: Juniperus virginiana.

And usually they are small down here, other than the rare ornamental you see. I know some farms with big thickets of them, full of deer. Pretty neat trees.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Props!

I thought that once you bought that chainsaw that you would be hackin everything down! Sounds like you were just clearing room for different trees!

:thumb:

I love trees myself!

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Well the saw is mostly for clearing deadfall and ridding the world of sumacs and mimosa. It's very satisfying work.

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
Redmaple
Eastern Redbud
American Holly

Anyone into trees? I am a bit...have quite a diverse collection on my small plot of land here. 20+ species easily. 1 more today with the redbud, which supposedly I can use to flavor meat.

...Hey look, geese flying in a V.
Pffft.....I planted 70 green giant arborvitae this week and have 27 more to plant Monday. First I had to cut down 100 leyland cypress' that had a blight and bagworm problem. This was a project at work so a I had access to large quantities of equipment to help me out. It still made for a long week.

Good choices on the trees Burley...they'll add some nice color to your yard. You can always tell when spring has sprung here in the south when you see the redbuds and yellowbells in bloom.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Which particular 'Apple' and 'Pear' varieties do you have? There are quite a few...

Cool that you have so many trees, I love to see copses and so on with a big variety. Looks so much better than uniformity.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Pffft.....I planted 70 green giant arborvitae this week and have 27 more to plant Monday. First I had to cut down 100 leyland cypress' that had a blight and bagworm problem. This was a project at work so a I had access to large quantities of equipment to help me out. It still made for a long week.

Good choices on the trees Burley...they'll add some nice color to your yard. You can always tell when spring has sprung here in the south when you see the redbuds and yellowbells in bloom.
Hopefully you have an auger or something to dig those things in. Hate to be doing that by hand. I have a 1/3 acre hillside, as Ive mentioned before that is really choked up with sumac/mimosa.
As an arborist, what would you recommend I do?
They grow back quick, should I plant white pines, hopefully to outgrown them?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Which particular 'Apple' and 'Pear' varieties do you have? There are quite a few...

Cool that you have so many trees, I love to see copses and so on with a big variety. Looks so much better than uniformity.

I forget. Probably what ever is most common. I have a guidebook that I keyed them out with, but dont remember what was what now. The two apple trees didnt fruit this year, but the pear tree did.
They are all on their way out of this world though. Woodpeckers and big dead limbs are all over all of them.

Bixxle

Chimp
Dec 29, 2007
Your golden banana owns all my credits now BS. Too bad I took out those loans.

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
Hopefully you have an auger or something to dig those things in. Hate to be doing that by hand. I have a 1/3 acre hillside, as Ive mentioned before that is really choked up with sumac/mimosa.
As an arborist, what would you recommend I do?
They grow back quick, should I plant white pines, hopefully to outgrown them?
I had a bobcat t-190 with an 36" auger..these were 6 foot trees with about a 250lb rootball. I work for a rock quarry so we had no lack of machinery to do the job.

As far as your invasive trees.. I would cut them to the ground and paint the stumps with some round-up brush killer. That will stop your resprout problem. As a replacement I would go with the already mentioned Juniper (cedar to us). I've dug hundreds up and replanted them and have yet to have one die. They are easy to find in quanity, usually sprouting up in bunches. Cut a few mims and sumacs....go dig a few cedars. Lather, rinse, repeat. In no time you'll have a nice cedar grove and deer bedding in your own yard. Hope this helps.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Sound great BW. Id rather have cedars than pines anyway. Do they grow fairly quickly? I dont like looking at my redneck neighbors.

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
About as quick as anything. The last batch I planted started as about 2 foot trees and in 6 years they were around 12 feet tall and 4 or 5 feet across. Compared to the white pine...the native cedar is much more hardy and long lasting.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Awesome. Will be on the lookout for little cedars for sure. Hopefully I dont get shot digging them off some farmers land. I sure as hell'd hate to pay much for them.

Good work. Since our soil is mostly blue clay, I have to plant trees in the fall - if I plant 'em in the spring, the clay cracks and they dry out and die. If you plant them in the fall, the frost works the clay and it doesn't crack the next summer even if it's dry. Of course, the best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago.

We have

Beech
Birch
Bitter walnut
Hop hornbeam (Hardhack)
Red pine
White pine
Quite a few varieties of white oak
Red oak
Dogwood
Shagbark hickory
White cedar
Juniper
Hemlock
Multiple ash varieties
Hard maple
Swamp maple
Willows
Blue spruce (not native, I planted them)
American chestnut
Poplar ("popple")
Blue beech

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I think the beech are my favorite JBP. They get some real nice holes in them that birds and squirrels like to nest in around here. Get real big too.

What types of trees are you girdling?

Mostly sugar maples. They grow so thick that they crowd each other. Takes them about three years after you girdle them for them to figure out that they're dead. I forgot to mention apple and cherry, and the last time I looked we had a pear tree.

Sometimes I girdle white pines that have a fungus that makes them bleed purple pitch. They stand for years and the pileated woodpeckers drill them full of holes.

Raccoons live in the older hollow sugar maples, as do flying squirrels.

Oh, yeah - we have sumac and buckthorn. Buckthorn's an invasive which I spend a lot of time rooting out - futile but satisfying.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
For some reason, I dont have any of those sugar maples, but I did forget to mention that I have Sassafras growing the gulch.. a few of them actually.
I have so much deadfall at the moment that I dont really think I should be killing much else for the critters. Plenty to eat on now.
I havent seen a pilleated woodpecker here, but plenty of redbellies and northern flickers.
Got a neat flock of chickadees too.

I forgot basswood.

We have downy and hairy woodpeckers also. I have only seen a flicker once, at Hilarie's parents in Kingston, New York.

Recently, I have been clearing around the apple trees - they tend to get crowded out by other trees and deer and foxes like the apples as food. I have a couple that are being crowded by white oaks, and I'm hesitant to girdle the oaks to favor the apples.