Oct 23, 2001
you people have no taste! :nope: ipod or minipod all the way :cool: hehe

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Toshi said:
you people have no taste! :nope: ipod or minipod all the way :cool: hehe
Yeah having a trendy looking item is so important when you are buying an AUDIO device... :devil:

I'd rather have higher quality, gapless (very important for some albums or genres of music - a must have for DJs) audio playback with twice the battery life and enough processing horsepower to play open standard lossless formats like OGG, FLAC, etc...

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
syadasti said:
Yeah having a trendy looking item is so important when you are buying an AUDIO device... :devil:

I'd rather have higher quality, gapless (very important for some albums or genres of music - a must have for DJs) audio playback with twice the battery life and enough processing horsepower to play open standard lossless formats like OGG, FLAC, etc...
Not to mention something that doesn't skip if you use it while running, biking, etc...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
a few points:

1) ipods don't skip. they buffer ~20min into ram depending on bitrate and then spin down the hard drive
2) ugly devices with poor interfaces are only favored by pc users with no taste :D . the masses have spoken, and the ipod is the anointed one
3) only nerds and those whose idealism overpowers all use ogg. i rip my own cds to mp3 and aac so i don't have to worry about any drm anyway, and using fairplay/hymn would address your concern even if you did have more than the apple-allowed 3 devices.

so basically you ipod haters just have no style. simple as that, hehe :D try to counter that, an unassailable ad hominem argument if i've ever seen one ;)

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I would really like to hear some reasons for hating the ipod? Cmon bring em on. Apple is the most innovative company right now and this coming from a PC guy. everyone else just follows their example...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
1) Rio Karma looks like audio gear instead of girl's makeup case

2) Creative and Rio both use higher power headphone amps. Several companies have higher quality SNRs too:

Rio Karma
- 96dB SNR (headphones)
- 98dB SNR (docking station RCA line outs)

iRiver iHP-120
- 90db SNR

Dell DJ
- 94dB SNR

Gateway Jukebox Player DMP-X20
- 90dB

Nomad Jukebox Zen NX
- 98dB SNR

Apple iPod
- 90dB SNR
(note: apple has declined to release SNR data, and the number provided is based on tests like http://www.stereophile.com/digitalsourcereviews/934/index5.html)

Other players are comparable to the iPod, and the Karma is actually better in terms of the signal produced. This doesn't speak to the warmth of the sound (a personal feeling if ever there was one), but it does highlight the iPods mediocrity (at best) when compared with other players in the one place audio quality can be directly compared.

But don't take my word for it, read what iPod owners and zealots have to say on the subject.
http://www.ipodlounge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9265
http://members.brabant.chello.nl/~m.heijligers/ipod/
3) Battery Life - at around 15-16 hours, its twice as long as the iPod. Not to mention yet another Apple battery quality issue:
A simple google search is adequate to uncover a REAM of sites, postings, and commentaries on the iPods battery life. However, don't take my word for it, read for yourself:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=ipod+battery+hours&btnG=Google+Search

Whether the battery's short duration as documented by all those posts is a result of poor manufacturing in the batteries Apple bought, is the result of a defect, or is the "true" rate isn't really relevant. Real world experience as documented by the majority of user contradicts both you, Mossberg (I'm not sure why you would cite another opinion piece based on anecdotal evidence to support your claim), and Apple's marketing department.

And note that this isn't even discussing the outright failure rate of Apple's batteries that has led to the filing of five class action lawsuits against the company.
4) Size:
The Rio Karma's total form factor is smaller than the iPod; the Karma measures 2.7" x 3" x 1.1", while the iPod measures 4.1" x 2.4" x 0.62". It is also over 1oz lighter, a fact that seems trivial until you remember that the iPod only weighs about 6oz (meaning it's almost 20% less in weight).
5) Gapless audio playback - some albums or genres of music do not have gaps between each track - the music is composed to be played continuosly - the Rio Karma does this - the apple doesn't and that ruins the listening experience

6) Features (ethernet support, format support(OGG, FLAC, WMA, MP3), etc...)

7) user support (frequent direct public support, free frequent firmware updates for additional functionality, and general effort to improve)

8) Journaled filesystem (a journaled filesystem is especially needed on a HDD based player due to HDD crashes and/or potential battery issues which can corrupting files (all or some)).

9) Rio is a leader, not a follower. Rio started the portable mp3player market releasing the first mass-market flash (under Diamond Rio) and HDD player (under empeg - now a division of Rio). They also won the court case that cleared the way for the rest of the mp3player market. Apple is merely a technological follower with great marketing.

10) Cost - a Rio Karma 20 GB can be had for $240 while a 20GB ipod 3G goes for $360

A Rio Karma also has weaknesses including a limited warranty (buy it on good CC and double it free or get one of those walk in extended warranties from best buy for cheap), a lack of accessories, and a lack of certain features like a line-out port, but its audio quality (better signal to noise ratio and dB sensitivity), software, form, and battery life are all superior to the iPod.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Oh yeah, its not real until Jobs tells me it is :rolleyes:

Isn't it just great to stick with the standard - lets all be medicore, fat, and stupid - following the herd is cool - bah bah bah :p

Talking about Jobs - oh yeah, we are going to get to 3GHz, no problem, even though he has no friggin clue about computer engineering. Nice try, but you are 500MHz under and had to resort to liquid cooling :eviltongu

MtnBikerNJ

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
jerrrrrsey
um.. i have to disagree. who REALLY has more than 1 or 2 audio formats anyway. personally I think i use mp3 and aac. there's also a new lossless compression format. not to mention that apple bases some of the technology on STANDARDS and not making up their OWN format. and as for continuous music. ok you sort of have that one, although I wasn't aware that the CARS made techno continupus DJ beats. Also, of the DJ's I know that use mp3 players, they still use iPods (they just use 2), because they are mixing as they go. not playing back a pre-recorded playlist. its the same as using 2 turntables.

also, since I have a big expensive ipod (40G) i also use it as a hard-drive to shuttle files home from work. via firewire. which is still faster than USB. and I also have my contact list on it. and my calendar. and notes. which my mac syncs automatically. granted it doesn't take the place of a full blown PDA, but I'm not one of those guys that really needs one. SO i leave my PDA home with my pocket protector.

as for the battery, yea you do have that one. so far I haven't had long enough travels where I don't plug it in, but i'm sure that day will come. of course apple could use a higher capacity battery, but that would make it bigger.

journaled file system. um. WHO CARES. actually the ipod MIGHT BE journaled because its the default configuration of OS X.3 (panther). and it is updated often enough, which does add new functionality at times. like adding support for new formats. speaking from personal experience (i'm now on my second iod, my first was a 1G 5gig, then I got this one for xmas), i have yet to have any problems with fragmenting, or anything else you are talking about. its just a NON-ISSUE.

earphones - i'll be the first to admit the stock ones are crap. but 99% people that have the ipod don't care. and the ones that do, are buying better phones than what come with ANY mp3 player made by ANYONE. But the white ones look cool. it is more like a status thing I think. then there's always the remote that it comes with, which is a plus.

MtnBikerNJ

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
jerrrrrsey
syadasti said:
Oh yeah, its not real until Jobs tells me it is :rolleyes:

Isn't it just great to stick with the standard - lets all be medicore, fat, and stupid - following the herd is cool - bah bah bah :p

Talking about Jobs - oh yeah, we are going to get to 3GHz, no problem, even though he has no friggin clue about computer engineering. Nice try, but you are 500MHz under and had to resort to liquid cooling :eviltongu

yea steve admitted that they missed the mark. but it was more because IBM told him that's where they thought they would be, not him just pulling a number out of his a$$. Is that why the Opteron is only at 2.4 GHZ, and they had to resort to using 4processor systems to get the speed up (although a 4 proc. mac would be cool). and aren't PC's still at 3.2ghz? they've been at that speed for like a year now, right? now THAT's what I call innovation...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Haha, you make all these statements but have no clue...

MtnBikerNJ said:
um.. i have to disagree. who REALLY has more than 1 or 2 audio formats anyway. personally I think i use mp3 and aac. there's also a new lossless compression format. not to mention that apple bases some of the technology on STANDARDS and not making up their OWN format.
OGG and FLAC ARE the standards for lossless audio - Apple went and made their own standard cause their audio processor didn't have enough processing power to work with the standards... Apple format came out this year....FLAC in 2000 OGG started in 1999

and as for continuous music. ok you sort of have that one, although I wasn't aware that the CARS made techno continupus DJ beats. Also, of the DJ's I know that use mp3 players, they still use iPods (they just use 2), because they are mixing as they go. not playing back a pre-recorded playlist. its the same as using 2 turntables.
Thats funny, in the UK DJs have been switching to the Rio Karma for the gapless playback...

also, since I have a big expensive ipod (40G) i also use it as a hard-drive to shuttle files home from work. via firewire. which is still faster than USB. and I also have my contact list on it. and my calendar. and notes. which my mac syncs automatically. granted it doesn't take the place of a full blown PDA, but I'm not one of those guys that really needs one. SO i leave my PDA home with my pocket protector.
USB 2.0 - 480Mbps
IEEE1394 (firewire) - 400Mbps

as for the battery, yea you do have that one. so far I haven't had long enough travels where I don't plug it in, but i'm sure that day will come. of course apple could use a higher capacity battery, but that would make it bigger.
Yeah its nice not having to have an adapter every were I go since the battery lasts twice as long...

journaled file system. um. WHO CARES. actually the ipod MIGHT BE journaled because its the default configuration of OS X.3 (panther). and it is updated often enough, which does add new functionality at times. like adding support for new formats. speaking from personal experience (i'm now on my second iod, my first was a 1G 5gig, then I got this one for xmas), i have yet to have any problems with fragmenting, or anything else you are talking about. its just a NON-ISSUE.
The ipod uses FAT and thats why you can mount it as a HDD so easily. Wow, you are like all scientific and crap - a SRS size of one user = experience of all users. I gotta tell people conducting their studies that they are wasting their time going for those large sample sizes, they just need to use craig...

earphones - i'll be the first to admit the stock ones are crap. but 99% people that have the ipod don't care. and the ones that do, are buying better phones than what come with ANY mp3 player made by ANYONE. But the white ones look cool. it is more like a status thing I think. then there's always the remote that it comes with, which is a plus.
Earphones - yes stock ones are usually crap. You buy some decent cheap ones like Grados and you'll realize the ipod has ****ty sound quality - SNR and headphone amp is weak...

The iPod works but is far from the best audio device which is its primary purpose...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
You can buy a 3.4 GHz P4 for about $400 right now but clock rate isn't as important anyways - everyone is changing their naming schemes to reflect that... (AMD did years ago)

G5 is going to be offered at 2.0 GHz air cooled while Opteron runs 400 MHz faster air cooled... You put some liquid cooling technology on any CPU and you can overclock it - PC users have been doing that for years - its not too innovative...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Ogg is the standard for high quality audio. Ogg has been adopted in various cutting edge game audio systems.

Rio Karma supports Ogg and FLAC - so you can do whatever you want.

To pull a jamesnobrakes and belittle small points - read up jobs lackey:

What is the difference between (native) FLAC and Ogg FLAC?

You can think of an audio codec as having two layers. The inside layer is the raw compressed data, and the outside layer is the "container" or "transport layer" that splits and arranges the compressed data in pieces so it can be seeked through, edited, etc.

"Native" FLAC is the compressed FLAC data stored in a very minimalist container, designed to be very efficient at storing single audio streams.

Ogg FLAC is the compressed FLAC data stored in an Ogg container. Ogg is a much more powerful transport layer that enables mixing several kinds of different streams (audio, data, metadata, etc). The overhead is slightly higher than with native FLAC.

In either case, the compressed FLAC data is the same and one can be converted to the other without re-encoding.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Toshi said:
ipods don't skip. they buffer ~20min into ram depending on bitrate and then spin down the hard drive
Riiiiiight. Tell that to the guy at my gym who was ready to hurl his against the wall because it kept skipping while he was running...

MtnBikerNJ

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
jerrrrrsey
yea toshi. i love bantering with josh because we never agree on ANY of this stuff. but its fun nonetheless. the fact remains that the ipod is alot more popular, and i know alot of people with them, and have YET to hear a complaint about the way they sound. i suppose it you look at the strict numbers maybe something else makes more sense. But it rarely adds up to something that is better for all circumstances. look at other audio components. I'll put the sound QUALITY of my 80W denon receiver againt any KOSS receiver rated at 150 AMPS > sure the KOSS is rated at a higher power, blah blah blah, but denon is known for higher end receivers for a REASON. if I had the cash, i'd be dropping it on a ROTEL PRE/PRO set even its rated at like 50 AMPs - because the fact is that you have to more than DOUBLE wattage to get twice the volume. Not only that, but it will have better sound processors, better circuitry, etc. BESIDES, someone looking for pure audio quality is NOT going to use an ipod, or rio karma, or anything even remotely similar. in fact they aren't even going to use a regular CD - they will either be on a high end vinyl system, or something like SACD or DVD-Audio.

as for Ogg, the reason there weren't compressors for macs has nothing to do with processor speed (and if there were that high of a requirement it sounds like the ogg encoding is not very efficient anyway?), but more to do with people not wanting to program for the smaller market of the mac.

I have to say that this is the first time you actually admitted that the mhz myth is fact. pretty funny. and no, they aren't overclocking the G5 (as far an i know). Not to mention the fact that i would be forced to run windows, which would cause me to shoot myself. and before you say "linux", no that isn't a real option since photoshop doesn't run on it (as far as I know), as well as the fact that I'm not a computer GEEK...

MtnBikerNJ

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
jerrrrrsey
again, speaking from experience, my ipod has never skipped from doing something active. i've run with it and been snowboarding with it (jumps included) and no skips

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
MtnBikerNJ said:
yea toshi. i love bantering with josh because we never agree on ANY of this stuff. but its fun nonetheless. the fact remains that the ipod is alot more popular, and i know alot of people with them, and have YET to hear a complaint about the way they sound. i suppose it you look at the strict numbers maybe something else makes more sense. But it rarely adds up to something that is better for all circumstances. look at other audio components. I'll put the sound QUALITY of my 80W denon receiver againt any KOSS receiver rated at 150 AMPS > sure the KOSS is rated at a higher power, blah blah blah, but denon is known for higher end receivers for a REASON. if I had the cash, i'd be dropping it on a ROTEL PRE/PRO set even its rated at like 50 AMPs - because the fact is that you have to more than DOUBLE wattage to get twice the volume. Not only that, but it will have better sound processors, better circuitry, etc. BESIDES, someone looking for pure audio quality is NOT going to use an ipod, or rio karma, or anything even remotely similar. in fact they aren't even going to use a regular CD - they will either be on a high end vinyl system, or something like SACD or DVD-Audio.
Denon owns Rio - you should step up from the Koss (Apple) to the Denon (Rio) :p

Its nice you can read - the Apple has a inferior signal to noise ratio AND headphone amp ratings...

as for Ogg, the reason there weren't compressors for macs has nothing to do with processor speed (and if there were that high of a requirement it sounds like the ogg encoding is not very efficient anyway?), but more to do with people not wanting to program for the smaller market of the mac.
I never said the Mac couldn't play ogg - it can and has plenty of CPU to do that - the iPod doesn't have enough processing power! UT2004 was simultaneously released on OSX and Windows and uses ogg for the music...

I have to say that this is the first time you actually admitted that the mhz myth is fact. pretty funny. and no, they aren't overclocking the G5 (as far an i know). Not to mention the fact that i would be forced to run windows, which would cause me to shoot myself. and before you say "linux", no that isn't a real option since photoshop doesn't run on it (as far as I know), as well as the fact that I'm not a computer GEEK...
Actually I never said there was any myth ever - maybe steve will pull that out when people ask him about his inability to reach 3GHz. I've know this for years and I am IT director and sysadmin not some clueless mac user as yourself. I've owned Cyrix and AMD systems, I know about the efficiencies of the various arch... The x86 platform hasn't been purely x86 since the Pentium I (which was the last PC I bought preassembled BTW)... In 1995, Pentium Pro onward, we had RISC basis - mac users still don't understand that cause they can't even handle a multi button mouse out of the box with their machine ;)

MtnBikerNJ

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
jerrrrrsey
wow josh you must be right because the specs said so! i'm selling my ipod right away so I can buy a rio!!! (oh, but then i wouldn't look as good, could have my contacts, calendar, or notes). but then again I could carry a PDA with all that leftover cash. then I'd be REALLY cool!

its just funny how i've never had audio issues using my line out from my ipod base on my stereo.

so how are those Bose speakers treating you josh?

funny how you say apple is like koss. its like saying saturn is the same as mercedes. you know, there is a REASON peopl buy the mercedes over the saturns, and get this - they even pay MORE MONEY! imagine that! you mean people actually care about the way things look?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Yeah I could get a Casio watch in the 80s that worked like a sh*t PDA, but I think I would rather have a real one if I need that - something like a Treo or Blackberry where I could actually do something important on it like send email or use the Internet with a variety of applications... Oh wait, I already have a blackberry and I got from the company I work for free...

I am sure there are 100s of fortune 500 companies that give their executives iPods instead of real PDAs...RIGHT - just like that guy's iPod doesn't skip while he is running at the gym...

Ahaha-thats a good one Apple like a Mercedes-haha...

An Apple is a consumer to proconsumer grade product. Professional use SGIs, Suns, completely custom unix or linux environments, etc...for cutting edge work - not some off the shelf consumer product...

Guess you wouldn't understand cause you drive a Lexus Camry - a fake luxury car. You see a real Lexus luxury (ie exclusive, unique, uncommon) car would be something like a SC430 - you can't get a Toyota version of that. Are you going to buy a Jaguar X-type next, ie a dressed up Ford Mondeo in other countries with (or how about a S-type - dressed up Lincoln LS). Marketing people are really doing their jobs well on you - hook line and sinker...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
the funny thing is that with your spec-obsession YOU are the one who has taken the marketing bait, not us. and there is a point to the es330 and other crossover cars. they have much nicer interiors, better sound deadening, and -- get this -- the EXPERIENCE IS BETTER. sorta like using a mac, ya know?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
syadasti said:
Ogg is the standard for high quality audio. Ogg has been adopted in various cutting edge game audio systems.

Rio Karma supports Ogg and FLAC - so you can do whatever you want.

To pull a jamesnobrakes and belittle small points - read up jobs lackey:
ogg is perhaps "the standard for high quality audio" among slashdot junkies and general linux zealots. i would hesitate to make that statement for the audio world at large, who, i imagine, would be hesistant to compress their music using the (lossy) ogg vorbis. for example, the tapers all use shorten...

hint: http://www.vorbis.com/faq.psp#lossy . FLAC is lossless. ogg vorbis is not. ogg vorbis != flac. if you want to be all pissy and claim that you really meant just "ogg + flac" then fine.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Toshi said:
the funny thing is that with your spec-obsession YOU are the one who has taken the marketing bait, not us. and there is a point to the es330 and other crossover cars. they have much nicer interiors, better sound deadening, and -- get this -- the EXPERIENCE IS BETTER. sorta like using a mac, ya know?
Nah, actually they are for posuers and purely cheap cars created by marketing people to make a profit - entry level luxury. They aren't a true luxury car just like a mac isn't a true high-end workstation. Its like wearing a suit with tennis shoes on. The people below and above you just laugh at you...

Here is a review of the Ford Jaguars:
S-type

Pros
High-tech features, practical design, classic styling.

Cons
Has to prove its more than a rebadged, overpriced Lincoln LS.

Looks notwithstanding, the S-Type is anything but a classic Jaguar, which, for the purposes of mass-market appeal, is not a bad thing.

X-type

Pros
Reasonable pricing, sporty handling, currently the only Jaguar available with a manual tranny.

Cons
Spartan interior design, some less-than-prestigious Ford-themed switchgear and exterior styling cues, price goes up with options faster than you can say "Ford Mondeo."
So clearly these reviewers agreed and they have real luxury cars to compare with. These cars are not a real luxury Jaguars, but a mass market car created by a marketing dept. for a commoner who wants an image instead of the real thing. A guess you fit that description since you think they are real luxury cars...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
syadasti said:
In 1995, Pentium Pro onward, we had RISC basis - mac users still don't understand that cause they can't even handle a multi button mouse out of the box with their machine ;)
my buddy thad noticed this odd statement, but didn't feel like calling you out on it. but i do:

read: http://www.mackido.com/Myths/riscvcisc.html

assuming you are making the somewhat absurd statement that mmx makes the pentiums risc processors, of course... if your intent is something else, i bet it's even more ludicrous. :nope: / :stupid:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
syadasti said:
So clearly these reviewers agreed and they have real luxury cars to compare with. These cars are not a real luxury Jaguars, but a mass market car created by a marketing dept. for a commoner who wants an image instead of the real thing. A guess you fit that description since you think they are real luxury cars...
sweet jeebus, you like to make up sayings and then attribute them to others. i did NOT say the es330 and its ilk (jaguar s-, x-types included) are "real luxury cars". you are arguing with a phantom, and are not addressing what i actually wrote. furthermore, your entire post here is based on the unsupported assertion that "real luxury cars" must have their own, exclusive platform.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Toshi said:
hint: http://www.vorbis.com/faq.psp#lossy . FLAC is lossless. ogg vorbis is not. ogg vorbis != flac. if you want to be all pissy and claim that you really meant just "ogg + flac" then fine.
Hint, there is a lossless ogg called Ogg FLAC. You can do it, read the FAQ question - here it is once again:
What is the difference between (native) FLAC and Ogg FLAC?

You can think of an audio codec as having two layers. The inside layer is the raw compressed data, and the outside layer is the "container" or "transport layer" that splits and arranges the compressed data in pieces so it can be seeked through, edited, etc.

"Native" FLAC is the compressed FLAC data stored in a very minimalist container, designed to be very efficient at storing single audio streams.

Ogg FLAC is the compressed FLAC data stored in an Ogg container. Ogg is a much more powerful transport layer that enables mixing several kinds of different streams (audio, data, metadata, etc). The overhead is slightly higher than with native FLAC.

In either case, the compressed FLAC data is the same and one can be converted to the other without re-encoding.
Here is some more info about it:

Ogg container is an excelent container for streaming of files in real time, if anybody liked to do so with lossless audio files, say over a LAN for a high quality network internal radio .... Ogg is also very error resilient, so in principal it could be well possible that an old CD containing Ogg FLACs can be played, while the normal FLAC can not ( i have to admit i dont know much about FLAC framing as of yet ).

Another thing thats pretty common to do in the video compression scene is to burn the CDs in mode2 form 2 , offering 800 MB on a normal 80 mins CD. Of course, error resistance is much worde then as one complete layer of ECC is missing on the CDs, but with some intelligent method you could easily protect the main headers of the container with say 20 MB, leaving you with 780 MB to use for data and the file will play in any case, even from a scratched CD. The XCD Team has this plans ( http://xcd.sf.net ) and does support Ogg already.

Last thing was to use FLAC for movies together with Theora in Ogg. The VirtualdubMod people plan to look at FLAC for lossless real time capturing from analog sources, in either OGG ( OGM ) or matroska container ....
WHOA, what do you know, the Rio Karma has a LAN port and a webserver built into and supports both formats - gee I wonder why (see bolded section above)...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
you're being pissy, as i anticipated above, heh. that's as if i claimed that "quicktime is not a lossy codec" when i really meant that quicktime can act as a wrapper for lossless codecs. :nope:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Toshi said:
my buddy thad noticed this odd statement, but didn't feel like calling you out on it. but i do:

read: http://www.mackido.com/Myths/riscvcisc.html

assuming you are making the somewhat absurd statement that mmx makes the pentiums risc processors, of course... if your intent is something else, i bet it's even more ludicrous. :nope: / :stupid:
Again Mac people can't read and have no technical grasp. The Pentium (586) is nothing like the Pentium Pro...

The Pentium is purely a CISC chip. The Pentium Pro was Intel's first RISC chip with a translator in it - it a was fundamentally different than the chips prior... It should have been called the Sextium and they could market it for faster porn browsing than ever before - oh well :mumble:

(Known as "P6" during development) Intel's
successor to the Pentium processor, in development Jan 1995,
generally available 1995-11-01. The P6 has an internal
RISC architecture with a CISC-RISC translator, 3-way
superscalar execution, and out-of order execution (or
"speculative execution", which Intel calls "Dynamic
Execution"). It also features branch prediction and
register renaming, and is superpipelined (14 stages).

The P6 is made as a two-chip assembly: the first chip is the
CPU and 16 kilobyte first-level cache (5.5 million
transistors) and the other is a 256 (or 512) kilobyte
second-level cache (15 million transistors). The first
version has a clock frequency of 133 Mhz and consumes about
20W of power. It is about twice as fast as the 100 MHz
Pentium. The original 0.35 micron versions of the Pentium Pro
released on 1995-11-01 run at 150 and 166 Mhz for desktop
machines and up to 200 Mhz for servers. Heat disspation is
about 20 Watts.

The Pentium Pro is optimised for 32-bit software and runs
16-bit software slower than the original Pentium. The
successor was the Pentium II.
Just in case you missed it, as you and craig seem to attention spans shorter than little children, thats what I said:

The x86 platform hasn't been purely x86 since the Pentium I (which was the last PC I bought preassembled BTW)... In 1995, Pentium Pro onward, we had RISC basis - mac users still don't understand that cause they can't even handle a multi button mouse out of the box with their machine

MtnBikerNJ

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
jerrrrrsey
good points toshi. i never claimed that the lexus es300 was a true luxury car. but the fact is, that the WHOLE EXPERIENCE of owning the lexus has proven to be higher than owning a toyota. and funny thing, my friend that owns a new camry actually paid very close to the same amount as I did for the lexus by the time he loaded it up, only he doesn't have the same total experience, as I do with the es300. I'm willing to pay a little more for that. same with using a Mac. That's something you just don't get... there IS MORE TO IT THAN READING THE SPECS. of course, maybe you have all the extra time to read through that crap since you can't get a date...

and to say there is no one above "prosumer" using a mac is BULLSH!t. check this link...
http://www.apple.com/pro/video/perception/
before you say "hey thats an apple marketing link," these guys all happen to be my FRIENDS and I visit them fairly frequently (their office is a few minutes from penn station so i stop by and see them occasionally). If you try to tell me their work isn't great, i know you're full of it. and that is only the stuff that actually gets used. you should see some of their concepts that don't get used. They really push it creatively. And you can't lump ALL CREATIVE JOBS into the 3D world where they use alot of SGI/SUN equipment. Granted there are alot of those 3D companies sing linux boxes, but they also have dedicated programmers writing software to do one specific function. There are those of us that do use PROFESSIONAL APPS off the shelf like Photoshop, Illustrator, FINAL CUT PRO (mac only), to name just a few...