Quantcast

I pod mini review.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
huh, i didn't know that about the pentium pro. interesting. so there was a fact in the middle of all that nonsense :D

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
MtnBikerNJ said:
good points toshi. i never claimed that the lexus es300 was a true luxury car. but the fact is, that the WHOLE EXPERIENCE of owning the lexus has proven to be higher than owning a toyota. and funny thing, my friend that owns a new camry actually paid very close to the same amount as I did for the lexus by the time he loaded it up, only he doesn't have the same total experience, as I do with the es300. I'm willing to pay a little more for that. same with using a Mac. That's something you just don't get... there IS MORE TO IT THAN READING THE SPECS. of course, maybe you have all the extra time to read through that crap since you can't get a date...

and to say there is no one above "prosumer" using a mac is BULLSH!t. check this link...
http://www.apple.com/pro/video/perception/
before you say "hey thats an apple marketing link," these guys all happen to be my FRIENDS and I visit them fairly frequently (their office is a few minutes from penn station so i stop by and see them occasionally). If you try to tell me their work isn't great, i know you're full of it. and that is only the stuff that actually gets used. you should see some of their concepts that don't get used. They really push it creatively. And you can't lump ALL CREATIVE JOBS into the 3D world where they use alot of SGI/SUN equipment. Granted there are alot of those 3D companies sing linux boxes, but they also have dedicated programmers writing software to do one specific function. There are those of us that do use PROFESSIONAL APPS off the shelf like Photoshop, Illustrator, FINAL CUT PRO (mac only), to name just a few...
2.8% of the marketshare share and fading - of course some people are going use a Mac to make something - its the user, not the machine that makes something decent. Just like its the rider, not the bike - I was riding Sourlands and Ramapo on the POS Mongoose IBOC w/Specialized Future Shock and clearing more sections than anyone else on rides when I was waiting for new bikes last year...

Euros sometimes do cool things with ultra small demos in DOS or Amigas which aren't even made anymore in the demoscene. Some music bands use inferior/old equipment and still do well too. Anthony seems to hate his G5 cause the OSX memory routines seem to suck ass and leak(unable to work on large files w/o frequent crashing) vs. his old mac with inferior but optimized OS...

A majority of professional work is done on other platforms end of story with the marketshare out there... Instead of SGI or Sun, these days more and more major movies are done on PCs with special custom *nix environments (matrix for example). Worldwide, EA uses PCs to develop their games. Sony uses some flavor of linux on their Playstation 2 development PCs. And your XBox - well considering MS makes it, it probably has some pointless process that prevents you from developing on anything but a Windows PC without a headache considering its basically a stripped down one...

The customer experience of Saturn has been number or number two for the last 10 years or so in JD Power's and Infinti has been beating Lexus lately too...

Why would I need a date, I've been seeing someone since last summer - better situation than you have :blah: I've lucked out, I don't get whipped by the wife to do this or that and can go out riding EVERY weekend. I was actually teaching her to mtb yesterday at Thomson Park - she got to ride my STP1. It was her first ride, about 5 mi and pretty rooty and tech (haven't been there in years and didn't remember it being like that :dead: ). She only crashed a few times, made it over curb sized logs a few times and didn't kill me for it. She actually said she wanted to go biking again when I come back from JT.

MtnBikerNJ

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
jerrrrrsey
funny you mention infinity. aren't those FAKE LUXURY nissans?!

that's cool that your new GF wants to ride. as for me not riding every weekend, its just what happens when #1, you own your own house and don't live with your parents, and #2, you own your own business and have to work when your clients need you to work. Something you just can't explain to someone who is a lackey within a larger company.

oh, and about your comment about using a one button mouse. funny thing about that. I don't use a mouse. at all. ever. (well almost never). I have a 9x12 wacom at home and a 12x18 wacom tablet at work. its all I use. and it has more than 2 buttons (specifically, 2 buttons, pressure sensitive "button" on tip and end (erasure end), and is mapped to a screen any way I want (since I use 2 screens, it is quite helpful).
you're right about cool things being done with amigas. I've seen some of that stuff on occasion. but its a rare thing and not something that can't be done faster on another machine. and alot of the big 3d studios are not necessarily using SGI or SUN anymore, because of the economics. now they are using nix bowes or even some NT stuff, and even macs (like the "rebel group" at industrial light and magic).

that's too bad about anthony's machine crashing - I hardly ever have a machine crash, and i'd argue that I'm using larger files than anthony is alot of time (since he's doing alot on digital captures, which are 60 megs flat). We had a G5 at work that was crashing alot. turned out that it was a bad RAM chip, that once was replaced, worked just fine without the kernal panics. maybe he should have the ram swapped out. My G5 is alot more stable than my old os 9 ever was. and is capable of alot more. Oh, and the next generation of XBOX is slated to use the same chip that is in the G5. last report I saw was that they were even using the 2ghz G5 as a test platform to start writing games for the xbox2 launch... don't know if that has changed or not, and since its 1am and I am still working, I am not going to look it up. you know. working, because I am going to MBW this weekend, and have to get my clients work done before then.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
MtnBikerNJ said:
funny you mention infinity. aren't those FAKE LUXURY nissans?!
No they are not, the only new model that shares parts with Nissan is the Z sports car (G35 series) and Armada (QX56)... All the new Infinitis are mostly RWD based with AWD options...

that's cool that your new GF wants to ride. as for me not riding every weekend, its just what happens when #1, you own your own house and don't live with your parents, and #2, you own your own business and have to work when your clients need you to work. Something you just can't explain to someone who is a lackey within a larger company.
Last summer isn't very new. It seems to me you are talking about Pete or something. I am the IT director of a company that moves billions of dollars in IT deals every year (we specialize in the IT sector). I am in charge of their entire IT infrastructure in all locations and the consultants report to me...

oh, and about your comment about using a one button mouse. funny thing about that. I don't use a mouse. at all. ever. (well almost never). I have a 9x12 wacom at home and a 12x18 wacom tablet at work. its all I use. and it has more than 2 buttons (specifically, 2 buttons, pressure sensitive "button" on tip and end (erasure end), and is mapped to a screen any way I want (since I use 2 screens, it is quite helpful).
Do you need some reading lessons or forget to take your ADD meds, I said OUT OF THE BOX (as you buy it in the store...)

MtnBikerNJ

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
jerrrrrsey
damn true FT. Unagi is one of my favorites. And I try to stay away from fish cheek.

josh. didn't know you have a better half. last i remember was your date at MBW (you know, the thong wearing McDonalds chick that rode with us.

oh, and wouldn't a wacom be considered out of the box, since I didn't build it custom? And photoshop is out of the box as well. That's like saying that an out of the box system comes with Photoshp CS, Final Cut (or premiere or Avid), and Maya, for it to be considered OTB. Which is obviously not the case. the SECOND you install software that doesn't come standard on a machine, it is custom.

and no, having consultants report to you is NOT NEARLY the same thing as working for yourself. they are 2 completely different animals. You never know that PRESSURE until you own then company. But there are better rewards working for yourself. Its hard to describe to you corporate types ;)

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The Mac computers themselves - when you buy it from a store and take it out of the box it comes with worthless one button mouse stock:

512KB on-chip L2 cache per processor
160.0GB Serial ATA hard drive (7200 rpm)
ATI RADEON 9600 Pro graphics in AGP 8X Pro slot with 64MB DDR SDRAM; dual-display and video mirroring support
3 FireWire ports (one 800 Mbps, two 400 Mbps), 3 USB 2.0 ports and 2 USB 1.1 ports (on keyboard)
Built-in 10/100/1000Base-T Gigabit Ethernet; AirPort Extreme-ready with external antenna and built-in expansion slot for optional 54 Mbps (802.11b/g) AirPort Extreme Card (not included)
V.92 high-speed modem
Apple keyboard (with USB extension cable) and Apple mouse
Mac OS X v10.3 "Panther" preinstalled; software package included, featuring QuickTime, iLife (with iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie and iDVD), Microsoft Office v.X Test Drive and more
Apple, Power Mac, AirPort, FireWire, QuickTime, iTunes and Mac OS are trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. iLife, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD and iCal are trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc.

MtnBikerNJ

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
jerrrrrsey
and your point would be what? ohhhh noooo deal breaker. i could argue that the big drawback with a PC is that is comes with windows. besides. the one button mouse is no bg deal, as it doesn't really slow me down. i do agree that maybe it would be better to have a multibutton mouse, but i don't care that much about it - bu i know alot of people that do. personally I wish they would go back to their older keyboard design with the spaces between sets of function keys. but that's just being nitpicky.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
syadasti said:
No they are not, the only new model that shares parts with Nissan is the Z sports car (G35 series) and Armada (QX56)... All the new Infinitis are mostly RWD based with AWD options...
this is all wildly off-topic, but i find it amusing how plain wrong you are :D

q45 : nissan president
m45: nissan gloria
i35: nissan maxima
g35: 350Z as you noted, and directly corresponds to the current nissan skyline
qx56: armada/titan as you noted
fx: not directly related to a japan-market nissan like ALL of the others, but is based on the FM (Skyline) platform

all this should come as no surprise, as nissan is to infiniti exactly what toyota is to lexus. claiming otherwise is simply incorrect.

and unagi is excellent. my dinner tonight was teriyaki unagi (think of the unagi you'd get at a restaurant in unagi donburi, only without the rice) over curry udon. :thumb:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Toshi said:
this is all wildly off-topic, but i find it amusing how plain wrong you are :D

q45 : nissan president
m45: nissan gloria
i35: nissan maxima
fx: not directly related to a japan-market nissan like ALL of the others, but is based on the FM (Skyline) platform
Hello - what country do you live in? Where do I go to buy those JAPANESE MARKET MODELS in the US... Whats that - I can't... Well then, they aren't Nissan branded equalivents in the US just like I said... Just like in Japan, there is no Acura...

The I35 is not a NEW model for Infiniti - again you aren't bothering to read what was written, another victim of ADD, so sad...

MtnBikerNJ

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
jerrrrrsey
Toshi said:
and unagi is excellent. my dinner tonight was teriyaki unagi (think of the unagi you'd get at a restaurant in unagi donburi, only without the rice) over curry udon. :thumb:
that sounds delicious! I might have to get some sushi for lunch today. i'll drive to the restaurant in my fake luxury es300 while listening to my inferior ipod...

oh, and josh, the fact remains that the infiniti is a higher priced nissan regardless of where the car is sold.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
In a perfect world, the products we consumers used would be the best of what's available. But in the real world, we consumers don't buy what's best, we buy what the marketing geniuses "convince" us to buy. Steve Jobs is a marketing and product development genius, he always has been and always will be. The Ipod may not be the very best product out there, but Apple saw the mp3 niche growing, jumped on it, and attacked the market quicker than anybody else. Other companies may very well make a better product, but no company is close to positioning their product in the market as well as Apple has.

The auto industry is a very different one. The main thing that Toyota excels at that Detroit is slow to follow, is the ability to create one frame (platform?), produce several different models with that frame and have each model sell very well. It's no secret that a lot of models share parts, hell, some are even advertising it (the caddy convertible). But in the end, we consumers still go for looks/image above everything else (how else do you explain the h2?)

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The Japanese market doesn't do two distinct lines for the upper and lower offerings. The fact remains is the Infinti line has plenty of features that make it a unique luxury offering vs. having two cars which are almost exactly the same (ie Toyota Camry vs. Lexus Camry)

I like how you guys ignore real world examples of people having problems with Apple's pro/consumer offerings. Apple frequently drops users as hard as MS or harder cause they like to move on to the next thing instead of releasing and improving a solid professional grade product.

Lets look at examples:

-Spincrazy's Production Environment PS memory issues leading to lots of lost work

-Gym running makes iPod skip

-Apple battery issues - ie exploding batteries, defective batteries, class action suits, etc...

-Apple finish issues on their cube - oh yeah blemish on a overpriced brand new machine - rad!

-Alex - Professional graphic artist, Abberant Clothing Designer, "All I know is I can make a MAC G4 puke and my PC 733mhz w/ 16 meg onboard TNT2 ain't cutting the cheese either. If you do serious graphic work then yes speed does matter."

-DW, industry leading bicycle engineer, "HHAHAHAA Thats great.

Mac's suck balls. When will they go away? All I know is that the titanium laptop I bought for my wife was/is a huge turd waste of my money."

-Taz - Hcor.net main technical wizard. Did his MS work in supercomputing (building Beowulf clusters to perform computational fluid dynamics solutions). "It is true Mac CPU's are slower than AMD and Intel...I don't have a huge grudge against Mac's, they are ok. I think they are a little over priced IMHO. They are nice, and I wouldn't mind having one just to have OS X, but I do know a PC CPU is a faster number cruncher than a Mac CPU."

-Me - I grew up with Apple IIc at home, Apples at school. I also used Amigas, Atari, Commodore 64, sun machines in HS, etc... I switched to PCs when the 486 DX2 66 came out and never looked back. Apple Newton - yeah I got one of those - sucks for me cause Apple dropped it before make it a mature product. Macs are decent but overpriced machines. Apple makes good products, but they have issues just like any other consumer grade products. You can do better...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
please explain how "infinti"/"infinity"[sic x 2]/infiniti's offerings are so wildly different compared to their nissan counterparts while lexuses aren't when placed side by side with their toyota equivalents.

also, us reasonable people may have adhd or whatever you claim, but at least we're not strangely fixated upon apple as you have demonstrated over the years, and don't continuously bring up irrelevant, recycled factoids, often years old. :D

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Almost all the new Infiniti's use a US exclusive or premium performance RWD/AWD platforms. The Lexus/Toyota Camry example is a boring FWD platform with virtually the same exterior look shared. Very little product differentiation - they did a better job with the older Toyota/Lexus Camry plaform...

The facts are complete revelant - Apple makes a mid-grade overpriced product with frequent quality control issues, both software and hardware wise, which prevent it from ever being higher-end. Thats what businesses pay the premium for when you buy a real professional workstation...

MtnBikerNJ

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
jerrrrrsey
and facts that are solely based on 1 persons opinions. like memory leaks in photoshop - um, how is that apple's fault? Adobe is the company behind photoshop not Apple, and #2, not everyone has the problem. like me. and several others I work with. funny how we are able to run our macs several days at a time without restarting, or photoshop crashing, or any of those problems. i never said apple was perfect, nor has toshi, other than the fact that you SIMPLY DON'T GET THE FACT that i LIKE the way OS X is - in the user interface department - amoung other things, and feel that I am more productive (and yes, I HAVE used windows XP and some NT, and older windows OS'), but it still comes down to the fact that I am MORE PRODUCTIVE on a mac. even if you say it is a slower machine. but since I get more done in a work session because of the BS i don't have to deal with with MS products, whether YOU feel they are better or not, means that a MAC is faster, for me. and that is something you just have no concept on.

oh, and for your statements (above) - i'm still not so sure about those beowolf clusters you keep harping on. sounds like older technology, and they STILL aren't in the top 10 of the fastest supercomputers as far as I know, whereas, there (was) a mac one (which isn't on there because they dismantled it to build a new one based on xserves instead of tower machines). Dave weagle? yea he seems like a nice guy. but last i checked, he is a mechanical engineer, not an electrical engineer... his computer choice is purely a personal one. Alex? Sounds like he has complaints with both mac and PC. Yes, apple had finish issues on their cubes. They also had screen issues on some of their laptops. The fact is, people make the machines and people aren't perfect, so neither will their machines. I've had a Mac G4 lemon before. bought 6 machines at the time and one just wouldn't run. it had a bad motherboard. I've also known several people with very similar problems on PC's that they've bought.

refllux probably had the best point about it being marketing. yea, apple jumped into the game early on and is now on top. But there are reasons for it too. Look at NYC as an example. how many people do you see in the city with the white earphones? ALOT. If it were all marketing mumbo jumbo, then word would get around that the ipod sucks. but that word never travelled because the ipod is a good product. is it the best one? who knows. I really love mine. so do alot of other people.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
MtnBikerNJ said:
even if you say it is a slower machine. but since I get more done in a work session because of the BS i don't have to deal with with MS products, whether YOU feel they are better or not, means that a MAC is faster, for me. and that is something you just have no concept on.
Get this, a PC can run dozens and dozens of OS. Some weird people have gotten them to run on different partitions all on the same machine even :p I've had as many as four OS on a single machine. There is no law you have to use MS products...

oh, and for your statements (above) - i'm still not so sure about those beowolf clusters you keep harping on
Harping on, I was just saying what Taz did in college for his master degree.

Dave weagle? yea he seems like a nice guy. but last i checked, he is a mechanical engineer, not an electrical engineer... his computer choice is purely a personal one.
In case you forgot, modern engineer sit in front of workstations all day designing new solutions to problems...

refllux probably had the best point about it being marketing. yea, apple jumped into the game early on and is now on top. But there are reasons for it too. Look at NYC as an example. how many people do you see in the city with the white earphones? ALOT. If it were all marketing mumbo jumbo, then word would get around that the ipod sucks. but that word never travelled because the ipod is a good product. is it the best one? who knows. I really love mine. so do alot of other people.
Yes he was spot on, its a good product, but its not the best and most people don't need the best - they are the average user and are satisfied with good products - they won't need or even notice the difference when they have the best. But the Rio karma is better AND cheaper just with inferior marketing... As is the case with prosumer workstations...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
syadasti said:
Almost all the new Infiniti's use a US exclusive or premium performance RWD/AWD platforms. The Lexus/Toyota Camry example is a boring FWD platform with virtually the same exterior look shared. Very little product differentiation - they did a better job with the older Toyota/Lexus Camry plaform...
how is an infiniti platform that is also sold in japan as a nissan any better intrinsically than a lexus platform that is also sold in the us and japan as toyotas? please provide a SOURCE other than your own deranged rambling. thank you, and have a nice day :stupid:

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
uhh, different strokes....? Did I ever tell you guys I used to have this urge to always be right? Yeah, well I kinda gave up on that whole idea when I started reading this thread.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
reflux said:
uhh, different strokes....? Did I ever tell you guys I used to have this urge to always be right? Yeah, well I kinda gave up on that whole idea when I started reading this thread.
hehe, i have no delusions that i'll change josh/sysadasti's mind one bit, but it's still a fun exercise. how often do you get to argue about the relationship between lexus/toyota and infiniti/nissan? :D

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
If you can't tell the performance difference between a FWD, RWD, and AWD car than whatever BS car companies can get away with is well deserved :p

You see, what either of us thinks doesn't matter. The Apple marketshare was never the market leader at anytime and has been in decline for a long time. The market says Apple is a fading has been and there is nothing you or Jobs has been able to do about it.

The computing world as a whole doesn't believe his BS :eviltongu If it was better and saved money, they would lead the market, but it isn't and they are just another secondary option out there in the marketplace...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
syadasti said:
If you can't tell the performance difference between a FWD, RWD, and AWD car than whatever BS car companies can get away with is well deserved :p
i thought your point was that the lexus es330 wasn't any good because it shared a platform with the camry? so now it's that it's no good because that shared platform is not rwd? would a subaru wrx make for a good luxury or near-luxury car platform just because it's awd? are you going to rush out and buy the saab 9-2?

congratulations on resisting the urge to make a 100 line reply tho. :thumb: heh

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
syadasti said:
You see, what either of us thinks doesn't matter. The Apple marketshare was never the market leader at anytime and has been in decline for a long time - the market says Apple is a fading has-been and there is nothing you or Jobs has been able to do about it - the computing world as a whole doesn't believe his BS :eviltongu If it was better and saved money, they would lead the market, but it isn't and they are just another secondary option out there in the marketplace...
Re: Apple and Ipod. I just remembered what I was thinking the other day. Sure, the Ipod made a simple and easy to use deal with the Ipod. But I think where Apple really struck gold was with Itunes. Not only was Apple charging an arm for the Ipod, but they made a very user-friendly interface to sell music. Whatdayathink?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
reflux said:
Re: Apple and Ipod. I just remembered what I was thinking the other day. Sure, the Ipod made a simple and easy to use deal with the Ipod. But I think where Apple really struck gold was with Itunes. Not only was Apple charging an arm for the Ipod, but they made a very user-friendly interface to sell music. Whatdayathink?
The iTunes store failed to meet analyst projections though and isn't growing too much after the intial hype. People still like free music the best. I don't have time for either, I just listen to free Internet radio stations ;)

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
When i get out to sun valley, this I pod mini is going right back to CIRCUT CITY BABY! and im buying a creative, and some cds with the money id save.

Apple sucks. period..

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
mack said:
When i get out to sun valley, this I pod mini is going right back to CIRCUT CITY BABY! and im buying a creative, and some cds with the money id save.

Apple sucks. period..
Talking about creative, there is a new model out

A touch pad, 20GB, 97 SNR, 24 hours of battery life (3 times long than iPod), feminine ipod design scheme, FM radio, voice and FM recording via optional wired remote control, and retails for $269.99... (about $100 cheaper than iPod)

Zen Touch

MtnBikerNJ

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
jerrrrrsey
gee. i wonder where they got the design scheme... Jonathon Ives (cheif apple designer) must be proud. after all, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

MtnBikerNJ

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
jerrrrrsey
oh. apple must be doing something right?

stocks going up. The music store, while it didn't meet predictions, is still doing ALOT better than the other music retailers...

Attachments

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Gee I wonder where Apple got the idea for a mp3 player - oh thats right, Rio invented the first mass market player and won the court case making them legal :eviltongu

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Marketshare is going down as usual though, Apple isn't selling computers. Maybe they'll become a leading consumer electronics company but they certainly aren't a successful PC maker...

Strong iPod market not helping Mac G5 sales
Robert Mullins
Apple Computer Inc.'s strategy of getting iPod buyers to also buy Apple desktop computers doesn't seem to be working, according to an industry research report.

The Cupertino computer and consumer electronics maker has seen its share of the personal computer market drop to 2.8 percent, from 4 percent a year earlier, according to IDC, of Framingham, Mass.

Although the iPod portable music player, and its recently released little brother, the iPod Mini, have been strong sellers, that has not seemed to help sales of desktop computers, particularly the recently released G5 desktop computer, said Andrew Neff, an analyst with investment bank Bears Stearns & Co. Inc., of New York City.

Bear Stearns is encouraged by Apple's recent financial results and there are some promising developments that could boost sales -- an H-P-branded iPod, a new iMac, and an increase in processor speed for the PowerMac G5. But concerns remain.

"Our concerns are that the G5 cycle has disappointed, Apple is still ceding PC share, and at some point iPod mini supply will catch up with demand, which could derail the stock's momentum and temper further earnings per share [growth]," Neff wrote in a note to investors released Monday. Supplies of the original iPod, the one in the white case, have already caught up with demand, he said.

Bear Stearns continued to rate the stock "Peer Perform" and did not changes its earnings forecasts for the company. In the six months ending March 31, Apple posted net income of $109 million on a 33 percent increase in revenue to $3.92 billion, compared to the same period of the previous year. The results were largely attributed to sales of the iPod products.

MtnBikerNJ

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
jerrrrrsey
rio didn't patent the idea of a portable device that plays mp3. if anyone gets the portable music credit it would probably be sony with the original cassette tape walkman. ok. so Rio makes the first mp3 player. maybe. but it obviously didn't catch on. so they decided to rip off the ipod design (looks like the GUI is even similar), to hopefully confuse people to buy their product.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
MtnBikerNJ said:
rio didn't patent the idea of a portable device that plays mp3. if anyone gets the portable music credit it would probably be sony with the original cassette tape walkman. ok. so Rio makes the first mp3 player. maybe. but it obviously didn't catch on. so they decided to rip off the ipod design (looks like the GUI is even similar), to hopefully confuse people to buy their product.
Rio device is made by a real audio company (Denon) and their device looks like a more modern industrial design piece instead of feminine hello kitty style Apple is famous for...

You really need to get your ADD addressed that is a Creative player and it says right in the photo and in my post.

Take a look at the spelling

C R E A T I V E

Rio is spelled

R I O

Got that?

Also note Creative (muvo2 Sept 2003) and Rio (nitrus August 2003) beat Apple to market with the first mini HDD (cornice-based) players by about 6 months :p

Rio Karma

Rio Nitrus (first mini HDD player by at least 6 months, twice the battery life and lighter than the iPod Mini)

Creative Zen Touch

Creative Muvo2

iPod 3G

iPod Mini

iHP-140