Quantcast

I posted a while back about not ever trying any jumps/drops - now I do!

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
I remember posting a long time ago, maybe a year ago even about how to get over the fear. I can't find the thread, but there was some good advice in the thread that was left for me. Can't say I used all of it, as I had to find my own method of setting my mind straight, but it was definitely some help. I'm not really going big, largest so far is only 10-11 feet of a drop, but progression is progression! If any of you remember that thread, I just wanted to say thanks for the words - it's a good feeling to actually be riding with friends instead of watching now. :thumb:

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
DLo said:
I remember posting a long time ago, maybe a year ago even about how to get over the fear. I can't find the thread, but there was some good advice in the thread that was left for me. Can't say I used all of it, as I had to find my own method of setting my mind straight, but it was definitely some help. I'm not really going big, largest so far is only 10-11 feet of a drop, but progression is progression! If any of you remember that thread, I just wanted to say thanks for the words - it's a good feeling to actually be riding with friends instead of watching now. :thumb:

I remenber... Congrats!!

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
Jou said:
Nice work, keep pushing yourself, i just tried a 14ft drop, 25ft gap. Came up about 2 ft short, it only hurts for a while, so don't quit if you wreck.
That sounds huge! Least for my standards. Hopefully I'll keep progressing and get to that point. I guess for the hell of it, I'll start posting pics in this thread as I work up the ladder.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Just be carefull man, curiousity killed the cat (LOL or that's what they said about cats) but I think you get it. Just do what is comfortable. Once you get pushed beyond your limits that's where injury will happen.

Nice looking ladders there. That's a pretty nice area to just be able to push up and try to do the drops. Granted it just takes the right incline of a hill but that looks sweet.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Good on you for conquering fears... 10-11 feet is pretty big. I no longer risk anything that big regularly, but it's good to get over doing them. It's funny how similar a 10ft drop is to a 4ft drop, once you get over the fear, isn't it?

Not to be Debbie Downer, but it's not necessary to get into a numbers game to enjoy riding or feed into this imaginary "progression" thing we're always tossing around. Progression, for me, is continuing to have fun. I have fun when I'm confident and not injured...and I ride better then, too. It's positive feedback.

So ride your trails, jump your big gaps, but don't get caught in proving something to either others or yourself. This is recreation, not evaluation.

And yeah, I'm turning into a pussy lately.

MD

Wingnut

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
Sorry, I'm Canadian ..sorry...
Good Jorb!! And cool pic. It sure feels good when you finally conquer a fear. I had a 8 footer in town here that tempted me all last season, and one day I finally built up the courage to hit it, only to have my Boxxer seize up halfway down the trail. Within the week, I picked up a Dorado, slapped it on and hit the drop. I was stoked.

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
MikeD said:
Good on you for conquering fears... 10-11 feet is pretty big. I no longer risk anything that big regularly, but it's good to get over doing them. It's funny how similar a 10ft drop is to a 4ft drop, once you get over the fear, isn't it?

Not to be Debbie Downer, but it's not necessary to get into a numbers game to enjoy riding or feed into this imaginary "progression" thing we're always tossing around. Progression, for me, is continuing to have fun. I have fun when I'm confident and not injured...and I ride better then, too. It's positive feedback.

So ride your trails, jump your big gaps, but don't get caught in proving something to either others or yourself. This is recreation, not evaluation.

And yeah, I'm turning into a pussy lately.

MD
Well, it's not so much the numbers that I care about. It's the fact that I am actually riding with everybody now, not just sitting around and staring with my mouth wide open, "wow that looks like fun, I want to do that too!" If my riding skill plateaus here, I would probably be a bit disappointed, but I'm definitely satisfied - I improved extensively in half a year of riding, more so than I did in my.... 6-8 years of total riding?? It's just a good feeling.

Chazz, thanks man. You gotta come back out here. Max keeps tellin me to get my ass over the hill but crap keeps comin up. We had some awesome rides over the summer though!

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
DLo said:
Chazz, thanks man. You gotta come back out here. Max keeps tellin me to get my ass over the hill but crap keeps comin up. We had some awesome rides over the summer though!
definitely. it was one of my favorite riding summers ever. I have no choice but to come back out to cali with the number of people bugging me to get out there again (got friends all over the state). I'm talking with some people about maybe doing a camping trip to Yosemite this summer (half dome!), i'd love to get to Whistler, and I never did get to ride Tahoe.
so many places, so little time and money. i'm gonna go buy some lottery tickets now ;)

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I'll be hitting Downieville again this summer, that place is sooooooo damn fun! It should absolutely be on your list Chaz...

For my sumer trip, I want to road-trip up to Whistler again but I want to hit some rides along the way and then ride Whistler for a few days and then maybe hit Kamloops/Kelowna and drop into Idaho and then *maybe* head over to CO area. Ideally I'd like to hit all of the rides (West of the Rockies) from Bike mag's recent "10 Best". I've been to or near to some a lot of them but I want to hit the specific trails this time. Fruita is close to Moab so that's easy and the others are more-or-less on the way to Whistler if you aren't in a big hurry like I have been the past two years.

Dreaming of summer riding :drool: