Quantcast

I pray these go into production......good bye shuttle rig

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
these have been around in different forms since at least 2000...

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I don't know if anyone has read the write up but I suggest that you do.

It is the most pathetic sales pitch for the junk on wheels. It is absolutely pathetic.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I wanted an FX bike real bad, but not for the price. Just build your own and use a small turbo diesel. That would be awesome.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
You'd be chased off the DH trails, you'd be laughed off the moto track.

Where exactly does this bike fit in?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Like a 2.5hp Yanmar with a mini turbo on it. I can't find a picture, but I'll keep looking. I had one spec'd for a motorcycle project a while back.
a small Volvo turbo would work on that i suppose. ive seen them on lawnmowers before, so i dont see it wouldnt work for a motorbike

Looks like a souped up moped to me.
which are like fat chicks.....theyre fun to ride until someone sees you riding one

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
You'd be chased off the DH trails, you'd be laughed off the moto track.

Where exactly does this bike fit in?
while not arguing for this particular instance, i think the concept of a machine in between motox and dh 2-wheelers has promise. electric power might be the answer to trail access issues for the motox crowd, and why not make it lighter once the design constraints of the gas engine are removed?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
and why not make it lighter once the design constraints of the gas engine are removed?
but how much would battery cells and motor weigh in order to get a decent range? especially compared to a gas or a small diesel like JimmyDean recommended.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
FOUND IT!

One of these on a very small diesel engine (one used for portable generators) could put out a good amount of torque.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
thats the engine?? wheres the piston??

you found that on ebay right?
That's the turbo, with blow off valve. I was talking about putting that on a single cylinder Yanmar or other diesel. They make small 2-3hp engines for one hand carry generators.

<edit> Like this, sort of.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
That's the turbo, with blow off valve. I was talking about putting that on a single cylinder Yanmar or other diesel. They make small 2-3hp engines for one hand carry generators.
i was gonna say....that didnt look like no engine ive ever seen. im a moron :disgust1:

thats a pretty nice sized turbo for a small 1-cylinder.
turbo diesels are my fav :clapping:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
BS and I had a great conversation a while bake about full blown dirt motos running diesel motors. There are a bunch of cruiser/chopper diesel setups, but only a handful of dirtbikes. The main problem is the coupled engine/trans. One option would be to convert the gas dirtbike engine to be a diesel engine, but that it a ton of work. The other option is a separate trans, like a Harley style, but that's heavy.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
yeah, converting the gas into diesel isnt feasible really.
hell if theyre putting rotary engines in bikes now, why not diesels? they have their big advantages over gas

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
yeah, converting the gas into diesel isnt feasible really.
hell if theyre putting rotary engines in bikes now, why not diesels? they have their big advantages over gas
I have seen diesel based choppers that get 100mpg. Not the fastest things out there, but sure beat a scooter :D