Quantcast

I PSP'd the corner...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I would bet the Miata is WAY more prone to flipage compared to the track width of the Vette. My rear tires were 315/40-17's, quite a bit of contact patch with a 10" wide wheel. Plus the CG is a bit better. One reason the Miata is so good at auto-x is the turning radius is crazy tight compared to the sh!t radius of the Vette. Get the Vette on a road course and forget about it.

Seems you might be overcompensating for more than just driving skills. ;)

Braaaaap!

<edit> Not to mention me and a big friend could flip a Miata in a parking lot. :rofl:

Seems you might be overcompensating for more than just driving skills. ;)

Started to slide then lifted? is there not enough yt vids of vettes crashing because drivers lift once the thing steps out? stay on the gas and stay with it ala top gear style until you fight off the slide or get into a gnarly CHiPS/Dukes of Hazard style crash with will gives us a better photo to see.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Started to slide then lifted? is there not enough yt vids of vettes crashing because drivers lift once the thing steps out? stay on the gas and stay with it ala top gear style until you fight off the slide or get into a gnarly CHiPS/Dukes of Hazard style crash with will gives us a better photo to see.
I normally stay on it (learned that in sport bike school) but it was a slight lift that corrected it. Unfortunately it was right into the ice patch. I still think if the traction control would have been off I could have drifted it out. But hindsight is a bitch. If I would have stayed on it through the ice, it would have been a lot more dramatic, that's for sure. Maybe coud have gotten more than 1 roll out of the deal.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I almost did that in mmike's '68 camaro after a light rain.

I was barely moving, but those fat tires broke loose, then hooked up again. The left side of the car came off the ground a couple of inches.

Took forever to get the smell out of the seat...

EDIT: upon further reflection, this is not entirely relevant, and more of a cool story bro.

I bet you're sore, no?

Last edited:

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
I did that in a jetta, this in a jetta was fun making new driveway from my neighbor's hill. Miata with V8 is crazy fast then so crazy fast is good. All the time in the miata I remember it is not anywhere near as powerful as Audi's S4. Many times I want more speed only that more speed isn't always worth it. I learned my lesson well as you can tell with convertibles the pleasure of looking up on branches passing overhead is fun. Great state park trips with a goat in the passenger seat. Sucks in any weather that isn't between 55* F and 78* F prime driving rage at 76. Any faster any hotter just ain't comfortable. If only driving wasn't like standing in a spackel bucket in hot water.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I bet you're sore, no?
That's the crazy thing. I slipped a disc a week before and had my chiropractor appointment at 10:00. I was on my way home from it, still in a little pain but better off than before when I crashed. When I got out of the car, my back didn't hurt much at all. I thought it was from the adrenaline from the crash, but here it is Tuesday and my back hasn't felt this good in weeks.

I had quite a lump on the side of my head from the upper door frame, but that's it. The top of my head broke the roof, but doesn't hurt since the polycarbonate is a lot more forgiving than the roof frame I guess.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Cool news on the back.
I've been off the bike and in constant pain since getting rear ended in mid Sept.
PT is helping but my lower 5 vertibrea (sp?) are seized and won't articulate to the left (right direction is better but limited range). It sucks.
I'd go roll the truck right now if it would undo the damage.

Glad to hear you're OK/better, could've gone the other way pretty easily.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I slipped a disc last year coughing (seriously make one feel OLD) and it pinched my sciatic nerve in my left leg when sitting. What does a software engineer do (when not drinking beer and playing ping pong)? Sit. The ONE thing I normally do fo work is sit, and I couldn't for more than about 20 minutes at a time. It took a lot of visits, a lot of adjusting, but no surgery and got it handled.

Then a little over a month ago, I did it again, cough while seated and POW. At least this time it didn't shoot down the leg, but as soon as I felt it, I called doc. It got better until over the holiday break. It was improving, but it wasn't until the crash that it felt "better". It's not 100%, but I am not in as much pain getting up from a seated position, so that is good.

Thanks all for the well wishes. At the time I was freaked out about my car (still a little busted up over the loss) but the reality is it could have been WAY worse.

I was talking to a gal yesterday who said her brother had what a lot of folks would call a minor accident and wound up in a chair being tube fed for life. Yes, I will miss my Corvette and will likely buy myself another at some point. But I have my health and minus a bump on the mellon, I'm good. :monkey:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I was talking to a gal yesterday who said her brother had what a lot of folks would call a minor accident and wound up in a chair being tube fed for life. Yes, I will miss my Corvette and will likely buy myself another at some point. But I have my health and minus a bump on the mellon, I'm good. :monkey:
Relevant: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/12/your-money/estate-planning/shell-tell-you-its-time-to-think-ahead.html

the article said:
Mr. Hernando was 43 years old on the day in July 2009 when a van mowed him down while making a left turn into the path of his bicycle.

He was a self-taught engineer who played guitar in a band called Moonshine back when Seattle was the world capital of rock. At the time of his death, he rode for a cycling team and was a Flash developer working at the highly regarded firm Frog Design.
That's exactly how I was hit while bike commuting a few months ago.

I escaped, like jimmydean, with just a bump on the head, but it could have been so much worse as per the quote.

Food for thought, eh? Buy strong cars. Wear helmets. Keep your insurance current.

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Waiting for the adjuster to finish up the work, I am supposed to get a call no later than EOD tomorrow with the "next steps". I am almost sure the passenger side suspension is tweaked. The reality is the suspension alone is about $500 to buy elsewhere, rear axle is about $300, engine is about $1000, trans is $500, so if the buy back is more than $1500, I'll pass.

Remember, I bought the car because it was only $500 more than the LS1 I was looking to put in the truck. While the C4 suspension is pretty bad ass, it is mostly pimp factor for the truck. I don't gain too much over Nate's redesigned tubular control arms and those bitches are dead sexy. Especially after I shoot them in clear metal flake powdercoat...

:drool:

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Relevant: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/12/your-money/estate-planning/shell-tell-you-its-time-to-think-ahead.html

That's exactly how I was hit while bike commuting a few months ago.

I escaped, like jimmydean, with just a bump on the head, but it could have been so much worse as per the quote.

Food for thought, eh? Buy strong cars. Wear helmets. Keep your insurance current.
What a great article. When I think about how close I came, what a complete clusterfvck things were even after I didn't stay dead, I can't imagine having to deal with it all on top of the grief. This quote hit home:
Which was why she was confused when she checked her phone from a party two hours later and found 14 missed calls, none of which were from numbers she recognized.
The only reason my wife got the call was because she decided last minute to call me to see if I had heard about a job I had applied for. Something like a dozen missed calls and a voice mail from a CSPD officer. Ugh... Thanks for the memories doc. :hmm:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Sucks about your car, but like everyone else said, its good that you were able to walk away from it!

And all this speak of the so called truck, is there a thread on here about that? Sounds interesting.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
And all this speak of the so called truck, is there a thread on here about that? Sounds interesting.
Here is Delmo's '65, my '66 is a longbed but he is running Nate's suspension and Accuair setup same as mine. Only mine is far from stock inside (2008 Cadillac DTS interior, tablet controlled everything, Brembo brakes, blah, blah, blah). This truck was Blood Sweat and Gears truck of the year last year.