Quantcast

I Really Need Help!!

XRT_SquallJt

Chimp
Apr 1, 2005
My mountain biking friends; I have learned during July of this year I will be returning to my grandparents ranch in Baja "a place 200 miles south of the border" and it will be nearly 2,000 acres of nothing but hill climbing, downhill, and flats. My problem is I do not have a bike to take down there for my Mongoose EFX has finally died. If ANY of you have a full suspension mountain bike that works and you never use it, even if its only got a month left to live, it will work fine, but please, can you help a guy out???

Rocky Changala :help:

XRT_SquallJt

Chimp
Apr 1, 2005
Also, Have any of you guys heard of Team Dirty Works? its a part of Riverside Bike Club., If you are in it then you'll probably see me at this months meeting...

Rocky Changala
P.S.: As well, if you are willing to donate the rear part of a frame and a 21 speed derailluer, that would be enough to fix my bike, so if theres any chance any of you guys would be willing to help, that would help me sooo much, thanks for reading this

Feb 14, 2004
SoCal
If you're bikeless, shouldn't you be buying a new one anyway? (unless I'm right and you're young and jobless)

Tons of bikes in SoCal to be had for cheap!

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Yeah, you have to at least give us a good story about why you're broke and bikeless.
Edit: It sounds like all you really need is a frame and a derailleur, right?

XRT_SquallJt

Chimp
Apr 1, 2005
ok, im 14, my birthday is in july and i will be 15, as well, i am going to my grandparents ranch in mexico for some killer free ride, the bike is a 2005 mongoose EFX, it was a 129 dollar walmart bike that had full suspension, forks that always bottom out. 26 inch rims, 21 speeds, grip shifters, sram derailluer. Ok, now for the fun part. I was doing some normal for fun riding in the hills up the street from my house one day and all of a sudden my derailluer caught into the rim, then "plastic must die" it broke into two pieces., it bent part of the rear part of the frame "the part where the rear wheel attaches" its rather miniature bit of metal but it holds the purpose of keeping the derailluer in place, mongoose has refused to warranty my bike "even though i bought it in FEBUARY of this year. as well, i am to young to get a job "Damn you government!!!" and my family isn't of high standards which means i can't afford a good bike, let alone a walmart bike...., so please assist me in my search for spare parts

Rocky Changala

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
The bit that holds the derailur on is called a derailur hanger, you can usually bend them back very carefully with a crescent wrench. I think some bike shops have a real tool for doing this to align the hanger perfectly. At your mountain bike club meeting mention your predicament and somebody might chime in offering to show you how to use the tool. Derailurs are pretty cheap, you should be able to order one for $15 to replace the one you blew up from a LBS, shopping online will only turn up >$30 models.

I know WalMart used to be pretty good about returns, did you try taking the bike back to WalMart for a replacement? If Mongoose voids the warranty without giving you a reason, you might be able to fight it in small claims court, I've got a feeling that if you filed a claim they'd pay you off out of court to avoid the court costs for a $150 case.

$129 is a lot of money to spend, rather it's on a single brake or an entire bike, it's still a lot of money. Any item with a price that high should have a warranty that is actually useful to the consumer.

You should contact UCRiverside and/or the local police department, find out what they do with their impounde bikes that are never claimed, explain your situation and you might be able to pick up a new bike for $20