Quantcast

I recognized I might be adulting when...

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
my concept of mankind and the universe has not radically changed from childhood.
i see the world, pretty much under the same eyes.

that being said... I noticed I was full blown adult, not when I got married, nor had a kid.

It just hit me like a train, in full force and at once, the day my dad got sick, and I had to take him to a doctor, then started taking him to several other, running errands in hospitals, doing related paperwork, signing the release for surgery, hired a nurse and footing some of the medical bills.
it was that day (not even 2 months ago), that I truly felt a substantial shift into adulthood.

Last edited:

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Although I've been making responsible decisions all along the way, adulthood hit me when I decided that getting married (and all the various levels of reduced freedom that that entails) might actually be ok.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've spent the vast majority of my life covered in cuts, scrapes, bruises, dealt with constant throbbing pain from psoriatic arthritis. Mere anoyances, never stopped me from doing anything. This year was the first time I have ever dealt with chronic or long lasting injuries that has seriously limited my activity. Broken rib, tendonitis in the elbow, something seriously fucked up in the shoulder. Haven't been able to do any activity that requires much upper body, including yard/house work, pedaling really hard or riding rougher trails.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Seeing friends and family go due to casualties or cancer made me realize I might be adult. Because only adults have to deal with that kind of stuff.
The realization "it doesn't last forever" was the adulting moment I guess.

I've spent the vast majority of my life covered in cuts, scrapes, bruises, dealt with constant throbbing pain from psoriatic arthritis. Mere anoyances, never stopped me from doing anything. This year was the first time I have ever dealt with chronic or long lasting injuries that has seriously limited my activity. Broken rib, tendonitis in the elbow, something seriously fucked up in the shoulder. Haven't been able to do any activity that requires much upper body, including yard/house work, pedaling really hard or riding rougher trails.
There have been episodes in my life during which all I wanted was time to heal.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I also get annoyed when I see young kids wearing old punk t-shirts like Op Ivy and the Ramones because it's popular to do so (even though I've been far from punk looking for many many years).

I also say the phrase "damn kids now a days" way too often.
:stupid: It is different when you attend an Op Ivy/Ramones/FEAR show and get said shirt from the merch table vs Hot Topic.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
You know what finally pushed me into adulthood? Taking care of my dad before he died (and the resulting medical bills, getting my mom squared away).

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
You know what finally pushed me into adulthood? Taking care of my dad before he died
^This
Though it was nearly 20yrs ago now, I distinctly remember the realization.
Dad at home laying in bed dying of cancer.
Me changing his diaper and, while I wiped the shit off his balls, him coming to long enough to say "payback's a bitch, eh Dan?"

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You know what finally pushed me into adulthood? Taking care of my dad before he died (and the resulting medical bills, getting my mom squared away).
Near the end, my mother needed a lot of help. Brain tumor with dementia. Did the whole Hospice thing at my house. I don't know if taking care of her made me an adult, but seeing my much older brother and sister emotionally incapable of helping made me realize they were still children.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i recently started considering stopping a fun dating scenario because i've been down this very same road before, and the fun only goes so far before it becomes a horror show. i might be learning.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
If you're already on that path might as well bang that drum till it breaks.
Haven't and won't. Seen this film before and it doesn't end well for our villain. This sequel involves a character that has been and will be a recurring role in various social settings. Not the kind of awkwarding I'm interested in. I might be adulting.