Quantcast

I rode bikes with The Joker today.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Seriously. I did. It was cool. Turns out neither he nor I are figments of everyone's interweb imaginating, I was beginning to wonder. :headbang:

Not a big ride, just a little jaunt up the Apex trail in Golden with my buddy Ross, who CRUSHED us pushing a 40T single front ring all the way up the 1000' foot climb. Jokey98 was a little bit of a hurtin' unit, no bigs though, it was probably the heat really. Rallied it on the way down, watched Ross SLAY some ridiculous lines. Tried a couple, almost died. Good times.

We even drank some beer after, a little concoction of my own creation called Sleepy Monkey IPA. Turned out p. decent for my first brew, but I'll let The Joker make that call for himself.

Nothing else to report. Off to build a Class 11 Bug after work tonight.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
It's true, Ross killed it up and down. Some trails are not meant to be climbed with a 40-tooth single ring up front and Apex is one of those. That being said, he and FT were just chatting it up like school girls, so it couldn't have been that bad...

And nobody wants to see pictures of the suffering. I've been semi-okay climbing with the altitude, but the mid-day heat has just ruined me. Both mid-day rides with FT and Nick killed me, but the late afternoon rides have been fine.

As for FT's beer, it actually was really good. As in, bring more when we ride next and I'll trade you my empty's from last night, good.

I'm around until 9/9 so if anybody wants to ride, just pm/email me. Wifey is going to be here Friday-Monday (unexpectedly), if anyone wants to do anything. I'm trying to get her out with as many new people as possible while she's here. I don't want her to feel like she doesn't know anybody here, because that would be counter-productive to my getting here.

And yes, love it here. All I see is upside across the board (assuming I can find a job).

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
It's true, Ross killed it up and down. Some trails are not meant to be climbed with a 40-tooth single ring up front and Apex is one of those.
Apex is one... Chimney another... and Belcher, and Falcon, and Deer Creek, and Bergen Peak... :D

And yes, love it here. All I see is upside across the board (assuming I can find a job).
This area is actually WAY better *without* a job. Just sayin'...

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Apex is one... Chimney another... and Belcher, and Falcon, and Deer Creek, and Bergen Peak... :D

Belcher and Apex were hard enough with a 32 front ring, a 40 just says 'pop my joints'.

And yes, that is what I am doing right now. It's awesome.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
You really didn't get the full experience if you didn't shuttle Apex. Just sayin.
We're off to shuttle a *different* trail this evening. The Joker's on beer detail. Something light and cheap, I tell this to him okay... we gots some riding to do.

That it is! Rumor has it FT is going to try and kill me by trail at some point :eek:.
That's no rumor, son.

Wait...so Full Trucker's a lesbian? I'm so confused.....:(
No no no... I'm a "chatty school girl" apparently. ;)

:rofl: @ "Jokey98"
I'm glad someone caught that...

Last edited:

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL

Better bring him do the techy ride on Dakota ridge. Easily accessible trail and a great challenge to ride without dabbing (at leat the flat and dh parts. I still can't wrap my mind around people climbing the part after the zorro intersection)

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
What did you play shuttlemonkey on?

Did it work?
Fun trails, for sure. And no, it didn't work. However I will need to give the 575 some love before I can ride it again...

My to do list includes:
- Buy 8" rotor and adapter for front; move 7" rotor to rear, buy adapter; dispose of burned, multi-colored warped 6" rotor from rear.
- Buy new brake pads for brakes (f/r)
- Bleed brakes (f/r)
- Bump fork travel up to full 6", figure out why the travel wasn't fully working.
- Borrow 70mm stem from Nick
- Figure out how to keep up with FT and friends on DH bikes while riding trail bike.

The trails were so steep and fast that even with burst (on-off) braking for most of the 'shallow' sections, my brakes were boiling by half-way down the trail.

Just a note for those from the West/East Coasts - setting up a trail bike for the coasts does not make for a good CO setup. Shorter stem and bigger brakes are a necessity for pretty much every trail that I have ridden, and apparently I haven't ridden any of the 'hard' trails yet. Oh, and there is definitely a difference between a cross-country bike and trail bike here. Cross country is what the rest of the country calls a trail bike, and a trail bike is an 'all mtn' bike. There are also guys riding rigid, single speed 29'ers, but I don't know how to categorize them.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
It's not the more speed and pull up part, it's the inability to slow down the inevitable corner. This will be resolved by next week though.. mmm new brakes.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
My to do list includes:
- Buy 8" rotor and adapter for front; move 7" rotor to rear, buy adapter; dispose of burned, multi-colored warped 6" rotor from rear.
- Buy new brake pads for brakes (f/r)
- Bleed brakes (f/r)
- Bump fork travel up to full 6", figure out why the travel wasn't fully working.
- Borrow 70mm stem from Nick
- Figure out how to keep up with FT and friends on DH bikes while riding trail bike.
:thumb:

It's not the more speed and pull up part, it's the inability to slow down the inevitable corner. This will be resolved by next week though.. mmm new brakes.
:think:

Maybe you don't need those new brakes after all. :p

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
He's initiating her into the Mile High club.
Please, she doesn't want to have to drive down hill to go to Denver. :rolleyes:

Well, looks like I might be out for at least a week, unless I can find some place with I9 29er front spokes in stock I'm now short a wheel. Buffalo Creek was not kind to me today.:mad:

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

Well, looks like I might be out for a while, unless I can find some place with I9 29er front spokes in stock I'm now short a wheel. Buffalo Creek was not kind to me today.:mad:
Wait. No mechs on Guanella -> Burning Bear but you broke spokes at BUFF CRIK? Tell me it was on Blackjack. :D

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
If I had known, I could have brought you a wheel to use.

Well, looks like I might be out for at least a week, unless I can find some place with I9 29er front spokes in stock I'm now short a wheel. Buffalo Creek was not kind to me today.:mad: