Quantcast

I rode with a VERY Important Person this morningSI

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
I am riding into work this morning on my usual route and as I am slowing down to stop at a stop sign (that has 2 cars at it) some douche-balloon blasts past me through the intersection.

I think to myself, "thanks for making cyclists look bad." He'll do that one day and get clipped by a car. Karma will get him, right? Hell, I am going to give Mr. Douche Balloon a piece of my mind.

I wait for the cars to go and catch up with MDB. He has the look of "that guy who decided to dust off his bike and ride into work today." You know the type, baseball cap on backwards, 5-year old, mid-level mtn bike. gloves (but no helmet). I politely let him know that he ran a stop sign, cut off a couple and cars and generally rides rudely. He gives me a snippy "huh, what?" So I tell him that he should follow the same rules as a car while riding his bike on the road and that he just pissed off a bunch of people and made cyclists look bad.

Mr. Douche Balloon then informs me that he rides every day and he knows what he's doing. Plus (and this is the good part) he is a doctor on call and he is late. OH,

WHOAH, I'M SORRY! I DIDN'T KNOW THAT IT WAS OK TO RIDE LIKE A MORON IF YOU ARE LATE TO WORK.

I wish I had known that he was really important and stuff AND late to work. That would have changed everything.

I commute on my bike everyday (I don't have a car) by the same route (which is the only good way to get to the University/Hospital). I have never seen this assclown before. These once-a-year, commuters suck. What a clueless ass.

Edit: I won't let this ruin my day. I'm leaving early from work today to see the Royals and Red Sox in KC. 13th row by 3rd base.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Hey, sounds like a lot of the roadies in my neck of the woods. I call those stop signs "Stoptionals."

Of course, I probably couldn't catch a douche balloon on a crappy old MTB. :wonky2:

Alfred

Monkey
Jul 27, 2006
MTB_Rob_NC said:
The ones with the white boarders are optional. :rofl:
Those are yield signs disguised as stop signs.

Good on you, DNA.

*side note Dan. I plan to talk to the wife about the DD trip next month. I have not spent enough time on the road to go to the mountains right now.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Cooter Brown said:
you should have sped up and the crammed the brakes really hard and cut him off, ya know, give him a taste of his own medicine (some pun intended)
In hindsight, I should have followed him to work and kept lecturing him. :sneaky:

I was early and had some time to kill. :mumble:

splat

Nam I am
DNA said:
He has the look of "that guy who decided to dust off his bike and ride into work today." You know the type, baseball cap on backwards, 5-year old, mid-level mtn bike. gloves (but no helmet).
I usually call them DUI cyclists

DNA said:
Edit: I won't let this ruin my day. I'm leaving early from work today to see the Royals and Red Sox in KC. 13th row by 3rd base.
Scweet! Go Sox!!!

on a similar Note. Last night as I left work , there was a guy on the side ofthe road looking at his Bike. As I rode past I asked if he was all set. He said NO. So I stopped to see if I coulf help. The bike was a New Biachi , with Sora components he said the rear wheel was all screwed up and rubbing the frame. I took a quick look, and the quick release was loose. He Obviuosly did no know how to use a Quick release and just tried to Crank it down and could not get it tight enough. So I quickly fixedthat for him. As he wenmt to get back on his bike , He put Ear bud and cranked the tunes. I was 10 feet from him and could hear it quite well. I tried to tell him that wearingthem is a fast way to get killed , but he didn't care ( or couldn't hear me )

Alfred

Monkey
Jul 27, 2006
splat said:
<snip> I tried to tell him that wearingthem is a fast way to get killed , but he didn't care ( or couldn't hear me )
I ride with one in the right ear a lot. I also wear a mirror and watch, but it's risky. I mostly do it so I can yell Rage Against the Machine on group rides. :sneaky:

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
I don't ride to the train station out of pure laziness but on my way home I see the same guy everyday. Old Centerion road bike with a foam helmet from the 80's. He rides so eratically it's very hard to drive. One day he is making a left on the inside of cars on day it's on the outside. Swings left to turn right, swings right to turn left.

One day he is going to wind up like a skunk.

kindtrails

Monkey
May 23, 2006
Humboldt
HERE IN ARCATA, THE PEDESTRIANS AND CYCLISTS THINK THEY OWN THE ROAD. (THEY DON'T SHARE NICELY) I WAS MAKING A RIGHT HAND TURN AFTER STOPPING AT A STOP SIGN (IN MY 3/4TON TRUCK WITH A 9' FLATBED, 7000+LBS). tHIS GIRL ON AN OLD BEAT UP 10SPD CAME FLYING AROUND ME (NOT EVEN NOTICING THE STOP SIGN) AND FLEW THROUGH THE INTERSECTION. I STOPPED MID-TURN SO I DIDN'T SQUISH HER. I HAVE PERSONALLY BEEN HIT BY CARS ON MY BICYCLE 3 TIMES. AS A CYCLIST MYSELF, I DON'T MIND SHARING THE ROAD WITH OTHER CYCLISTS. IF WE DON'T FOLLOW (AT LEAST MOST OF ) THE ROAD RULES, NOONE ELSE WILL KNOW WHAT YOU WILL DO. tHAT IS WHEN ACCIDENTS HAPPEN.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
When I bicycle commute to work, I usually blow every Stoptional sign I can find &#8211; all while listening to Cannibal Corpse on my iPod so loud I can't hear traffic, eating a balogna sandwich, smoking a Kool menthol, clubbing a baby seal, and spray painting obscenities on the sides of RTD busses.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
My advice: there is no convincing the stupid. Just laugh loudly when some idiot decides to ignore traffic laws.

I do that frequently, and not only does it get the message across loud and clear, it is much more satisifying than trying to make sense to fools.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Alfred said:
I ride with one in the right ear a lot. I also wear a mirror and watch, but it's risky. I mostly do it so I can yell Rage Against the Machine on group rides. :sneaky:
Hey noob!

Empty your PMs!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I ride 2-3 days a week and I stop at all red lights. I sometimes go before it's green if it's clear, but I try to not be an ass about it. In Portland, you can be an ass as long as you're on a fixie wearing capri pants and a roadie hat.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
oh, man, I'm reading that, waiting for the punchline that it was Lance or someone famous...

haha....sorry to hear that though. I'm sure karma will clip him one of these days and then he'll need a doctor ;)