Quantcast

I rooted my droid

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
have you removed any of the bloatware yet? If so what did you take off?

as far as menus and window changes/transitions go, are they any smoother now that you have rooted?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I downloaded Spare Parts and set all the window transitions to "fast" - they're damn smooth now.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
BV, in your opinion, is the stock phone fine once spare parts and a 3rd party launcher are iinstalled or is rooting/ root-only roms pretty much a necessity to gettting a smooth/fast phone?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
BV, in your opinion, is the stock phone fine once spare parts and a 3rd party launcher are iinstalled or is rooting/ root-only roms pretty much a necessity to gettting a smooth/fast phone?
you can't remove the bloatware without rooting, if that's what you're getting at.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
I guess my biggest issue with my current droid is the amount of lag it has between tasks. IE clicking on phone and having to wait 5 seconds or changing a window, or rotating the phone. It can be quite frustrating and I know Im not the only one that has this issue. While yes, it would be nice to remove the bloatware thats on it, I dont think its the source of my issues with the phone.

I think the main issue lies with the stock Froyo 2.2 launcher and the overall speed of the phone. I dont know a lot, but I find it very weird when even all of the service associates at Verizon have rooted their phones.

Im checking out spare parts and launcher pro now.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
the bloatware actually is one of the underlying issues to the problem you described. it runs on its own - and is quite a memory hog, and there's no way to permanently disable it that i'm aware of without rooting the device. the best option for non-rooted phones is "advanced task killer". that's what i'm currently stuck with as their is not yet a reliable rooting for the droid pro.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Moto Droid.
Spare Parts and Launcher pro seem to be helping so far but I havent really put the phone through its "normal" paces yet.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You have lots of options when it comes to custom ROMs on the original Droid. It's a pretty safe process, so if speed is your goal, I'd look into one of those. I believe Bugless Beast was one of the most favored ROMs for that phone.

I have a Droid X which was clocked a lot higher, had more memory, and had a different processor so it's hard for me to compare. I rooted and removed bloatware from my phone, installed Launcher Pro, and had a fast phone. I now run a custom firmware that's even faster. On the other hand, it was fast to start with. It's just a matter of what you're happy with and what it takes to get there.

Frankly, rooting is invaluable if just for a single reason: you can back up all of your apps and settings using Titanium Backup. I use this because I've tried swapping a few ROMs or going through versions of ROMs and I just save all of my apps/settings, and I can swap ROMs or whatever and just restore them all again. Takes me <10 minutes to wipe my phone clean, install a ROM and then bring all of my apps and settings back.

The Droid had a wide variety of custom firmwares, plus it ended up being pretty overclockable, look into them. The bootloader backup makes it pretty safe - because if the worst happens and your phone goes belly up, you just boot back into the bootloader and restore your backup.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Interesting.

Aside from the memory increase on the Droid X aren't the processors the same? I thought the droid 1 was intentionally underclocked.

Yes the ability to back up does seem to make almost all of this worth it. Ill look into Bugless when I get some time, thanks for the tip. Did your maintain full feature support. IE no phone or battery issues?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Aside from the memory increase on the Droid X aren't the processors the same? I thought the droid 1 was intentionally underclocked.
droid x cpu is ti omap 3630
droid 2 cpu is ti omap 3620
original droid is ti omap 3430

and yes droid 1 was underclocked, but only by like 50mhz

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
My battery life got better and I have no problems with the phone, nor did I lose any features. Actually, most of the custom firmwares GAIN you features.

The Droid uses OMAP3430, and the Droid X uses OMAP3630. The X processor is a 45nm processor vs. the Droid's 65nm, and the base clock rates are different.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
So...as much of a server geek as I am, I have never really bothered to get into the consumer devices that I own. Once I'm done work, I want to be done with it, know what I'm saying?

Anyway, I have a new HTC Droid Incredible. This thing, IMO, is already pretty slick. What do I have to gain by rooting it and where would I find a reliable guide? Anyone else have an Incredible?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
www.androidforums.com is a good resource, as is www.xda-developers.com

There are applications that will only run if rooted, and there are custom kernel and system configurations you can download and install (they're referred to as ROMs, which is a bit of a misnomer, but whatever).

One of the most common functions you can gain by rooting is the ability to backup all of your apps and settings via Titanium Backup or a similar application. That's convenient because you can do system resets, or wipe everything clean, or install new ROMs, or whatever, and still have all of your apps and settings downloaded and ready to reinstall. I can wipe my system, install a new ROM, and have all of my apps and settings back and loaded up in probably <20 mins.

Here's a thread that was in the Droid X forum over at Android Forums, but it's got a lot of great root-only apps:

http://androidforums.com/droid-x-all-things-root/131944-favorite-root-applications.html

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
bv, what's a good apk sideloader?

edit: nvm. i was having issues getting a parse error when installing z4root. after some google apparently the file gets derped if you download it while antivirus is on :-)confused:) i'll try it at home.

Last edited:
beev, which version of ti pro are you using? free or pro?
Not that you asked me but I'm using the free one. So far it worked like a champ. I backed up all my apps...... then installed my new rom and restored the apps!

I have NO idea what I'm doing with this stuff - I'm so glad other people are doing the hard work and helping me through it.

It's so much fun :thumb: !

FYI DRoid Incredible FREE right now at best buy with a new 2 yr contract. I smell IPHONE coming to verizon!! lol

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Not that you asked me but I'm using the free one. So far it worked like a champ. I backed up all my apps...... then installed my new rom and restored the apps!

I have NO idea what I'm doing with this stuff - I'm so glad other people are doing the hard work and helping me through it.

It's so much fun :thumb: !
Cool thanks. I'm on the free version, was wondering if the full was worth it.

Already noticed an improvement in battery life and memory by removing a bunch of crap. Can't wait till some custom roms are out for my device so i can get rid of sh*t ass motoblur

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
jk, I'm using the paid version because it allows better automated batch backup/restore.

When I swap ROMs or whatever, I just go into Ti Backup, punch Batch -> Backup all apps, then when the new ROM is loaded, I hit Batch -> Restore all apps and boom, done.

I can also sync my backup with Dropbox which isn't possible with free, I don't think, and I can schedule backups if I want to. Plus it's a good app that I use a lot so I like to give the devs a few bucks for their work.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
LOL... All this stuff makes my head hurt. I got my first cell phone in uh... about 2000, 2001 and I'm still using it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
jk, I'm using the paid version because it allows better automated batch backup/restore.

When I swap ROMs or whatever, I just go into Ti Backup, punch Batch -> Backup all apps, then when the new ROM is loaded, I hit Batch -> Restore all apps and boom, done.

I can also sync my backup with Dropbox which isn't possible with free, I don't think, and I can schedule backups if I want to. Plus it's a good app that I use a lot so I like to give the devs a few bucks for their work.
agree on all points. Once I get more proficient with it i'll probably drop $ for the pro version.

Do you know how to edit the list of start up apps?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
There are apps to block startup of unwanted services. Anything that I don't want to start up, though, I don't want at all, so I just rename the .apk file in /system/app and it won't ever start again.

e.g. I don't need BackupAssistant, so I renamed /system/app/BackupAssistantClient.apk to BackupAssistantClient.ap and rebooted. Now it doesn't start at all. I have a bunch of .ap files in my /system/app directory that I've renamed so they won't start. I usually don't delete them since I have lots of storage space and it makes it easier if I ever want to use them or find out that removing it causes a problem.

Android is very good at handling unused processes. They go to sleep and use some memory but virtually no resources - and unused memory is wasted memory, so if a service wants to start at boot, I don't mess with it (provided, of course, I want the service at all).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
apparently an OTA update is out for my device.

first try: rooted, didn't work

second, third try: unrooted, still didn't work

fourth try: factory reset, still didn't work

posted to xda, they recommend i restore the bloatware apk's I deleted and try again. will have to wait to try this at home

while i'm at it - BV, do you know of an app that will save/store your profile layout? location of widgets, shortcuts, etc?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You cannot do OTA upgrades unless your phone is stock.

Also, you can't backup desktops - widgets, etc. That's the only manual part of my restore process.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You cannot do OTA upgrades unless your phone is stock.
a few people who had rooted mentioned that they got the update to work once they put all the stock apk's back in the system/apps folder. some people even claimed to have updated a rooted device.

edit: someone was looking for a syslog of the install to determine what's checked.

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Well, by "stock" I mean none of the OS (including the bloatware which is stored in the /system partition) has been modified.

Actually, the OTA upgrades almost always work on rooted devices, since rooting doesn't actually do anything to your device... but the people who root their devices, do so because they want to modify the system.