Quantcast

I said No New Taxes!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Some people have no idea how the system works. Who needs law enforcement, anyway?

Josephine County begins dismantling its sheriff's office in response to May defeat of tax levy

The dismantling of the Josephine County Sheriff's Office is under way. Last week, the department shut down its major crimes unit, saying current, unsolved cases have been transferred to the district attorney's office. The records division, which handled non-emergency calls and reports, closed as well.
It gets even worse.
The K-9 unit will be reduced to one dog. The other three will be retired and adopted by their handlers.

Small potatoes right now, but there are about a dozen more counties here that aren't far behind. I was listening the the Sheriff of Deschutes county talking about planed cuts. A few years ago Oregon made huge cuts to the State Troopers and the Sheriff's covered areas they gave up.

The sheriff's office issued a public warning for people in a "potentially volatile situation" such as being the protected person in a restraining order. "You may want to consider relocating to an area with adequate law enforcement services."

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Washington County (mine) is by far the best off (Nike, Intel, Solar World, etc paying taxes) right now. They are hiring, actually.

I heard the Josephine County Sheriff say "Unless you are dead or in the process of dying, 911 will not be send anyone right away".

So don't call unless you are dead, mmkay? With as few as 5 patrols for the whole county (including woods and rivers), it should make petty crime easy to support a healthy meth habit.

Also, since they have been good at shutting down the meth from Mexico via Cali, black tar H from Portland is now showing up all over the Rogue Valley.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
When we were camping last week up near Tygh Valley we were visited by some Wasco County Deputies who were out on a report of "someone shooting an AK-47" between Wamick and Dufur. I laughed and asked the deputy "isn't that something like several hundred square miles?". He just kind of rolled his eyes and said "It's something like that but we were told to go look anyway." So apparently Wasco County hasn't hit bottom yet if they have the resources to send two deputies out on a wild goose chase.

/coolstorybro.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
What a shame that Oregon is turning into Colorado Springs. Better start saving up so you can pay to keep your street lights on.
wut? we're getting useful public transportation & a system of usable bike paths?

my 8 mi commute has exactly 450 feet of bike lane :grumble:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
It's far from the bottom just yet, but it's not looking good for a lot of the timber counties.

I blame Obama and those hippy lefty tree huggers.

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
These people have been suckling off the gubment teet so long they just assume someone else is going to pick up the tab for them. First it was timber dollars and then it was Federal replacement funds. A major portion of their schools are funded by school funding equalization dollars coming from Portland.

I would cut it all off. Welcome to your right wing utopia, fvcktards.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
These people have been suckling off the gubment teet so long they just assume someone else is going to pick up the tab for them. First it was timber dollars and then it was Federal replacement funds. A major portion of their schools are funded by school funding equalization dollars coming from Portland.

I would cut it all off. Welcome to your right wing utopia, fvcktards.
they are going to quickly understand what cognitive dissonance is, even if they don't understand the term.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
wut? we're getting useful public transportation & a system of usable bike paths?

my 8 mi commute has exactly 450 feet of bike lane :grumble:
And here I was complaining to a city council the other day that my wife's 12 mile commute is 11 miles on bike paths and bike lanes, with 1 mile of sh!tty, busy, 4-lane, no-shoulder riding.

Then again the right-wing radio hosts do call it the People's Republic of Madison...

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
My wife's commute.

Major bike paths are the Capital City Trail and Southwest Commuter Trail, with 100% side streets before you get to the Cap City, and Odana Rd (afterwards) has extremely wide bike lanes up until it crosses Whitney Way. It's only the last mile on Odana that *sucks*, even though it's supposedly listed as "bike friendly" in Google Maps.

It's amazing how many more people commute by bike (census says ~6.5%) when there's an infrastructure to support it.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
You're welcome ;)
I knew you would have an impact! :thumb:

Seriously, according to folks at the Sheriff's office, meth and meth related crimes are way down in the south, but H is picking up steam.

Maybe you can get reassigned to Vancouver to stop the H from Canada. :rofl:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
And here I was complaining to a city council the other day that my wife's 12 mile commute is 11 miles on bike paths and bike lanes, with 1 mile of sh!tty, busy, 4-lane, no-shoulder riding.

Then again the right-wing radio hosts do call it the People's Republic of Madison...
My old commute was 6 miles, 5 on Fanno Creek Trail. My new commute continues south after the trails stops about another 2 miles, but there looks to be lanes (haven't done it yet).

Fanno is done with lottery and tax revenue. It's used by a lot of folks.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
If I chose to commute to the office (10 miles) 99% of the road portion would have bike lane with an option to include a 1,000' climb and long single track descent down the east side of the mountain.

Um, why aren't I commuting again? :hmm:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
My old commute was 6 miles, 5 on Fanno Creek Trail. My new commute continues south after the trails stops about another 2 miles, but there looks to be lanes (haven't done it yet).

Fanno is done with lottery and tax revenue. It's used by a lot of folks.
All of our popular trails were done with federal Transportation Enhancement grants. You know, the money that only goes to fund turtle tunnels and beautification projects. :/

edit: Whoops, so was Fanno Creek.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Hmm, maybe the park sections were lottery $$, or the wetlands protected areas? I just know Fanno is one of the areas touted as benefiting from those who suck at teh math.

<edit> There are huge wetland protected areas along the creek itself. Right now the big issue is Hall crossing. It's a major 4 lane road and the cross walk is about 150 feet uphill from the bike path. So most jackasses try to dodge traffic and scoot a straight shot.

The goal is to raise a section of Hall and build a tunnel like there is just south on Scholls Ferry (another 4 lane road). But I think it's still a ways out.

I am just south of there, so I don't have to cross Hall.

Last edited:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
I'm pretty sure that there's some type of state/local matching involved. For one of our local road projects it's funded 75% fed/state, and 25% local. Basically keeps it from just being handouts from the Feds...

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
It's crazy down here! The number of dope smugglers who get off the hook here is ridiculous! A half pound of weed used to mean a felony sell/deliver charge that would be prosecuted to the fullest, now I'll get a very winnable case with 700lbs and the USADA won't even bother with prosecuting. Wild-Wild West out here man...

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
I knew you would have an impact! :thumb:

Seriously, according to folks at the Sheriff's office, meth and meth related crimes are way down in the south, but H is picking up steam.

Maybe you can get reassigned to Vancouver to stop the H from Canada. :rofl:
It's crazy down here! The number of dope smugglers who get off the hook here is ridiculous! A half pound of weed used to mean a felony sell/deliver charge that would be prosecuted to the fullest, now I'll get a very winnable case with 700lbs, repeat offenders, and the USADA won't even bother with prosecuting. Wild-Wild West out here man...

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
It's crazy down here! The number of dope smugglers who get off the hook here is ridiculous! A half pound of weed used to mean a felony sell/deliver charge that would be prosecuted to the fullest, now I'll get a very winnable case with 700lbs, repeat offenders, and the USADA won't even bother with prosecuting. Wild-Wild West out here man...
No one cares about weed anymore.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
It's crazy down here! The number of dope smugglers who get off the hook here is ridiculous! A half pound of weed used to mean a felony sell/deliver charge that would be prosecuted to the fullest, now I'll get a very winnable case with 700lbs and the USADA won't even bother with prosecuting. Wild-Wild West out here man...
If it wasn't the criminal element doing it I really wouldn't care. But enforcing weed laws are a waste of tax dollars (and stupid and racist from the get go) it doesn't kill anyone, it effects people when driving less than booze, and you never hear of a dude stoned off his ass picking a fight at a raiders game......

As long as they are still prosecuting drugs that are actually bad, like meth and coke, I'm not worried about it

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
No one cares about weed anymore.
And if it were made legal and taxed, the focus of LE and the tax revenue can be put towards meth and coke.

I got into a great conversation with a conservative friend from high school about prop 19 and why he voted it down. He didn't do any research, he just voted no because Fox News says drugs are bad, mmky?

<edit> His actual comment was "It was poorly written". When I asked for details, I got the Sarah Palin response of "All of it".

Last edited:

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
It doesn't matter WHAT is being smuggled into our country, the cartels will smuggle whatever is illegal. If down feather pillows became illegal tomorrow, I gaurantee you that we'd see mules with burlap sacks of pillows strapped to their backs trying to sneak past us. I don't give a crap about WHAT they're smuggling, it's the fact that members of another country are crossing OUR borders bringing in contraband and not being prosecuted to the fullest. Try that in Pakistan and you'll get shot without question, meanwhile, in the "lets give criminals a fighting chance" mindset of America, aiding and abetting smugglers by leaving food and water along the trail, in the name of humanitarian aid, is somehow not a criminal offense.