Quantcast

I saw "The Evens" play last night, great show!!!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Last night I saw The Evens play at the Rio theatre here in SC. The Evens are a relatively new band consisting of Ian Mackaye (Minor Threat, Fugazi) and Amy Faria (The Warmers). The They played in the theatre lobby because they felt it had better acoustics. this made for very cool atmosphere since we were all (150 people max) seated indian style on the floor like the old days in elementary school during a presentation. Ian sang some of the songs in a different tone than I've ever heard come from him but often I would hear that distinct voice I've grown to feel like I know over the years. In between songs Ian talked about everything from politics to religion to gay marriage and more, he always has a way of making people listen and heed his words without ever even a hint of preaching. I think it's because he is so kind, intelligent and accepting that you can't help but listen and believe what he says, his words just ring too true.

The music is really cool, it's super melodic with great harmonies whether it's Amy backing Ian or vise versa the combination of their voices is superb. Amy is an incredible drummer and Ian plays the baritone guitar. Definitely like nothing you've ever heard from Ian Mackaye before but in a very, very good sense!

They are in Palo Alto tonight and on up the west coast through the rest of February, I recommend getting out to see them if you are a fan of Fugazi or Minor Threat or just if you like really good music made by truly good people!

EVENS TOUR DATES

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
saw 'em last summer here in DC and was also VERY impressed. ian has really stretched out melodically and sounds great playing quiet music. great stuff, great review sean!