Quantcast

I should, could, (and probably will) cry right now!

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
Taking up mountain bike advocacy wold be a really good idea... throw yourself at some local area off limits to bikes and see how far you can get.

Go-karting would be badass too...

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Sorry to hear about the injuries. Swimming is a great sport - no impact. And you have time to lear if you dont know how. I have heard that swimming, cross country skiing and soccer are the best for cardiovascular fitness. Plus if you learn how to swim, you can take up surfing, which rules.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Again, it won't end your dhing career. I am racing competively on a nonunion scaphoid from 9 years ago. I can visibly see my wrist collapsing. But as long as I can grip the bar and do what I need I'll keep on riding and racing. Even if I have to get a fused wrist I'll keep going. But you might want to check out proximal row carpectomy. They remove certain bones, including the scaphiod, that don'y have any muscle attachment. You loose some strength over a fulled healed hand, but I only have 70% grip anyway. Ask your ortho about it.

Keep yout head up. You can make it happen if you want it.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
SirChomps-a-Lot said:
Sorta... I hear that duck diving is a no-go with a gimped wrist. The pop-up might also be a bit o trouble.

I would recommend spending time with friends and family. And humping. That's kinda like a sport.

Are you offering her your "services"?

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
That stinks, but I thought that you were going to say that there was a chance of amputation or something. At least it sounds like you are making steady progress. K is also coming along. Her PT says that she is well ahead of schedule. The gaps between the bones are filled in, but still soft. (If you don't know, my gf split her femur into 3 pieces on Oct 9 practicing DH at PKill) She can get around on 1 crutch if the distance os short.

Its good to hear that you are making progress. Juts try not to look at the "big picture" too much. If you focus on the next step only, the time will go by much faster.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
DIva, where do you live? If there's good diving around, you should definitely try SCUBA. It's unlike swimming in every way...I hate swimming, really, and sink much like you do. The thing with SCUBA gear is that you float...you actually have to wear weights so you can get under the surface initially. And you have so much control over your bouyancy underwater...it's really effortless.

With Big Bear closing, I've been giving a lot more thought to getting back into SCUBA more, picking up martial arts again (although I don't think kendo would be a good thing for your wrist, personally...perhaps Iaido...) and trying sky diving seriously (ie, non-tandem), and getting back on the road/xc thing a lot more.

I know it sucks, but if you can look at it as an opportunity to try some things that DH would have otherwise supplanted, maybe it'll help.

You could also try getting into some sort of art, like photography...and even start doing DH photography to keep you involved in the scene.

What about getting a street motorcycle, or supermoto-ing your MX bike?

MD

Tashi

Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
I'm in the middle of what looks to be about a one year recovery and I heav one piece of advice: Live in the present. Months ago I would scour the ads to find that perfect XC bike 'cause I thought that I'd be able to ride "soon". Totally lost focus on the re-hab I needed to be doing. Once I ditched that Idea I bought a CX bike, put it on the trainer and now I can ride on the road for real. Mabye one day I'll get back on the trail, but DH/FR stuf is getting less and less important to me every day. XC is where mountainbiking started for me and what I'll return to, it's good. Don't worry too much about losing DH.

Oh, and sports: Hiking, snowboarding (all braced up) and swimming were good for me last time I wrecked my wrist. I've been all about the hiking with this injury as well, if you can run downhill you can inject a little adrenalin into it. (And you'll be having more fun than me!)

Stay strong, heal well!

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Oh, yeah, go see the new Warren Miller movie, Impact, if you want to get psyched about taking up a new sport. I'm definitely going to become a skiier again...now I'm actually looking forward to moving to someplace with snow.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
F the doctor...Lot's of anabolic steroids...If it's still bothering you, go 'Rush Limbaugh' on it and pound down the oxycotin...

Seriously, sorry to hear about all that...I'm dreading the day (if it comes) that I bang myself up so bad I can't ride big anymore...Why couldn't I like fishing or shuffleboard?

(total off topic story, but it may make you feel a little better - I just mentioned fishing as a relatively safe leisure activity, but a dude right off the coast of here in NC caught a huge Tuna and dragged it up close to the boat so he could gaff it. Apparently, when he stuck it with the gaff, the tuna {not surprisingly} went beserk and took off again - this time however the line was tangled up around the guy's ankle and it yanked him overboard & drowned him. So maybe you should stay away from the fishies on second thought...)

Linky - http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/1913612p-8258267c.html

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
DHS said:
bummer, that is quite depressing, even when your xmas present is in the mail already.
now i feel bad that i sent you a preactice one. its still looks good. just i messed up a bit on the R.
cheers!
Steve
Hey, I'm thankful for any christmas presents I get! And I got some good news today! I had another appointment and I had to get hooked up to all these machines and such that measure energy output of muscles/ligaments/tendons to see how much soft tissue function I have and my docs decided that I don't have to get another cast!!!!! I have to wear a brace if I'm doing active stuff but can take it off for light duty stuff!! They decided that my wrist is responding to real motion better than a tension to help stretch stuff out. So that is one ray of light in all of this recent bad news!

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
This all sounds too familiar, in the way Dave Cullinan was forced to quit racing. When he quit he ended up not riding bikes at all for a couple years, had another 2 surgerys and now rides motos a couple times a week, while throwing in some MTBing every now and then.
Point of my story is, there is hope for you.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
stiksandstones said:
This all sounds too familiar, in the way Dave Cullinan was forced to quit racing. When he quit he ended up not riding bikes at all for a couple years, had another 2 surgerys and now rides motos a couple times a week, while throwing in some MTBing every now and then.
Point of my story is, there is hope for you.
that or you just enjoy pointing out that cully quit racing. :)

lux

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Wilmington, NC
Diva -- I read all about your injury after it happened and have been reading this thread every day. Really, the prognosis sounds pretty good to me given the severity of your injury. I was fearing much worse for you and am stoked. I think you're gonna be great. I echo the senitments of having positive attitude, positive visualization and, especially, taking it one day at a time.

In my recovery, if I worry about the future too much, or worse, regret what happened, I'm screwed. But if I focus on just the next thing I can do and do it to the best of my ability, then I'm OK.
All the best and heal up well!

lux

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
lux said:
Diva -- I read all about your injury after it happened and have been reading this thread every day. Really, the prognosis sounds pretty good to me given the severity of your injury. I was fearing much worse for you and am stoked. I think you're gonna be great. I echo the senitments of having positive attitude, positive visualization and, especially, taking it one day at a time.

In my recovery, if I worry about the future too much, or worse, regret what happened, I'm screwed. But if I focus on just the next thing I can do and do it to the best of my ability, then I'm OK.
All the best and heal up well!

lux
yea thinking about stuff sucks. thats why getting new/free gifts is fun. again enjoy

good words lux, feel the same way.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Transcend said:
Dont push your luck lady. :) Take it really easy for awhile, you will have no strength and that is just inviting another injury. (I know, from experience, ugh)
I promise I will be good. My overall prognosis has not changed. I just don't have to get the final cast I was expecting to have to wear. I still can't ride until spring. But, just having some more freedom to move is a huge deal for me right now!

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Again, the advice and amazing words written to me on this forum have been such a huge help in my recovery. It's hard to get too far off track when there are so many helping keep you on it.

And Stik, you all haven't heard the last of me. I'm only 25 years old and there's fight left in me yet. I would love to race DH again. But I understand that I'm going to face limitations that I'm going to have to figure out how to overcome or work with. I've always wanted to try distance/enduro races on my moto. If I can't DH for awhile, maybe this will give me the chance to try that. Either way, fun times are not over. It's just going to take a little time and work to get back where I was. But I'm not the type of girl that's going to sit on the sidelines for the rest of my life.

Thanks again guys, you all rock. :)

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Sorry to hear about the long recovery time, but glad to hear there is hope of getting back to the things you love....and that you haven't lost your desire yet for this crazy sport! Keep us posted on your progress :)

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
DH Diva said:
Oh I can wear my own.....uh.....I mean.....yes I would love to borrow your assless chaps. ;)
Umm why does Frazer have assless chaps :sneaky:

I think you should take up swimming whatever you do. it's one of those skills you may need some day. Just because you're a sinker doesn't mean you can't swim. I'm a sinker, my bottom end is just too pinner to float but i've become a fairly competent swimmer despite that.

You sure as hell don't want to drown when your cruise ship sinks on the outgoing leg of the cruise you treated yourself to, after retiring from DH as the most wealthy female DH racer ever :p

how did you manage to make your wrist explode anyway?

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
Sorry to hear the bad news. Just remember one of the sports legends, Cully, retired because of complications from a broken wrist. Do what the Doc says and listen to Brain. It is best to be out for a year than a lifetime.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
yeah, at least you can still ride in a year.

here's what I would do: take the time to learn something new, eg. swimming, scuba, or something else that you CAN'T do now. Swimming can be boring, but if you can swim well you can do other things, like triatholons, scuba, snorkeling, work on your tan, etc.

The other thing that would be really good for you to take up is rebuilding things. It sounds like you like moto a lot, why not rebuild old MX bikes? Or even road bikes? Or a car? It takes at least a year to finish, and if moto is your thing, it may take less time, but it's fun to take things apart, polish them, and put them back together. My pop and i are on our second car now. It's relatively low impact, and if you're working on MX bikes, you can stay close to the scene you love. If you don't know what to do with a wrench, it would be a great time to learn. You do have 8 months-a year.

flow

Chimp
May 6, 2003
Vancouver
The good news is that I heard E-13 is working on new poly-carbonate scaphoids, unfortunately the delivery ETA is unavailable as this time. :(

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
ive bust my scaphoid a few times now, the last time i spoke to a dietition (sp?) who gave me some tips for faster bone recovery. it seemed to heal pretty fast 7 weeks or so. eat loads of kidney beans and greek yogurt (not together!) and dont eat to much red meat. ibuprofin and some other pain killers slow down the process too.

im sure if you look into it on the web you will find lots of info.

snoopz666

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
now residing in kamloops
a few years ago i busted my shoulder on a tree. it was prety much at the start of the season so by the time it was fully healed it was fall and i couldnt go bikin so i was out for prety much a year. i just tried to find other stuff to do, the time will go by quicker then you think.
good luck with your recovery

-Aaron

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Transcend said:
I just like saying assless. Dh Diva, are you assless? I am nto fond of assless chicks, a booty is good.
Booty is definetely not an attribute I lack!

HTFR

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Chelsea, Quebek
Silver said:
Have you ever been a roadie? I'm turning into one, looks like I'm going to be off the mountain bike for a while in the near future, and I'm having a blast. Plus, I'm in the best shape of my life.
i feel the same way.