Quantcast

I think I could live with a Liberty like this...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
you know if you got one it would stay bone stock, because your wife wouldn't let you touch it :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
MMike said:
Oh yes she would...she digs big tires

This was her old jeep when we met:
you married a redneck? :eek: even if so, that's quite cool. :thumb:

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Soon Homer is showing off his Canyonero at the SNPP. As he drives
past, Lenny and Carl make cat-calls from the parking lot. Homer stops
and lowers his window.

Lenny: Oh, sorry Homer. We thought you were one of those hot-to-
trot soccer moms.
Carl: Yeah, you don't see many men driving the F-series. [Lenny
and Carl indicate badge on side of truck]
Homer: Huh?
Lenny: [reaches in the window, and pulls something out] See,
instead of a cigarette lighter, it's got a lipstick holder.
Homer: Aw, crap, it's a girls' car! I can't drive this.
Lenny: Oh sure you can, dollface. [makes kissy noises]
Carl: Heh, heh, pretty thing like you can do whatever she wants.
[Lenny and Carl share a laugh]
Homer: Shut up! Screw you guys! [drives off]

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Can you hose out a Scion? Noooo :p

But an element is an SUV, and its quite useful indeed. Only thing it needs is more ground clearance...

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
xbluethunderx said:
Can you hose out a Scion? Noooo :p

But an element is an SUV, and its quite useful indeed. Only thing it needs is more ground clearance...

.........and a decent drivetrain........and suspension that isn't passenger car based.................and a live axle.........and and and

MMike, the liberty is nice...but if I were going to do the lifted rig thing again I'd go right back to the XJ

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
If you want/don't mind IFS, you can do a whole lot better than the liberty. An Xterra or a 4Runner would be my first choice, but there's a lot out there.

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
I just bought one. Metallica dark green. It's the sport model. Of courese if you install a lift kit, which I wanted to do, just 2", it voids the warranty. I can't understand how people put on lift kits if they void the warranty. They must not give a crap ha? This was the lift, sweet ha?

About 200 buck and 2 hours to install. Not overkill, just right. I love my Jeep, especially with the 400W Alpine amp and 12" sub I put in it.

Knuck

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Doesn't void the Jeep warranty, just the warranty of the parts you replaced.

My GF's Wrangler- Warranty intact besides the suspension/tires and wheels

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Well it's really too bad they don't make the XJ anymore. I've got a 2001 XJ now. I'm not really at....um..."liberty" to discuss my automotive future just yet. All will be revealed in a few weeks. But 4Runners are Wa-HAY more expensive than the KJ. I drove and X-terra way back when. I hated it. I was SO gutless. Maybe they are better now with the supercharger. But even still, it's still about 30 or 40 hp less than the jeep. And again...slightly more expensive than a KJ.

A friend of mine back home has one and he loves driving it. But yes. Too bad I only ever seem to see girls driving them. The '05 TRD does sound interesting. And they did change the front a little for the Renegade model. (the hood no linger "dips" down between the headlights).

This would be easier if I just gave up mountain biking and I could just get an Acura TL or something......

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
the 2005 renegade
http://jeepin.com/news/05liberty/index.asp

http://www.autosite.com/Previews/2005-jeep-liberty.asp

** wince **

Jeep Liberty Sport and Limited receive updated exterior styling with a new front fascia, grille, side moldings, fog lights, fender flares and wheels. In an effort to rid the Liberty of its “cute” factor and pull in more male buyers, the rugged Renegade model gets a unique appearance that is supposed to make it look more like a macho Jeep Wrangler four-door and less like a lost puppy to take home and nurture back to health.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Gotta compare Apples to Apples - 2005 Xterra seems to have a great package - its much more attractive package than the old one. Its now based on the F-Alpha platform - same as Titan which is current the best rated pickup on the market and has a big V6 engine:

2005 Nissan Xterra

The all-new 2005 Nissan Xterra, which made its world debut at the 2004 New York International Auto Show, continues the theme of the original – everything you need, nothing you don’t. But now truer than ever.

The enhancements for the second generation Xterra, all in keeping with the spirit of the first, include more power, more roominess and more utility. The new Xterra also offers greatly improved off-road performance, a new 4.0-liter V6 and an all-new rugged, fully boxed all-steel frame.

The new Xterra utilizes a modified version of the “F-Alpha” platform, developed for the full-size Nissan Armada and full-size Nissan Titan pickup, tailored to suit this application. For its use in Xterra, the platform utilizes an independent double-wishbone front and rigid leaf spring rear suspension, standard 4.0-liter DOHC V6 rated at 250-plus horsepower and 270-plus lb-ft of torque, and a choice of 5-speed automatic or 6-speed manual transmissions. The 2005 Xterra is available in 4WD or 2WD with an available enhanced off-road system.

Xterra’s new exterior styling evokes that of the original, including a highly functional roof rack (now with latchable lid). Inside, the 2005 Xterra offers more room, especially in 2nd row head room and leg room, and enhanced utility of the multi-flex cargo area – including an easy-to-clean luggage area and an adjustable channel system in the cargo floor.

The new Xterra will be assembled at Nissan's manufacturing facility in Smyrna, Tennessee. It is scheduled to go on sale at Nissan dealers nationwide in early 2005.

http://www.freshalloy.com/site/cars/nissan/2005/xterra/intro/home.shtml

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Lexx D said:
You can't hose out an element. I mean you could but there's no drain. Where does the water go?
Yeah, you totally can't hose out an Element! Who would want to put a jet of water into a vehicle's interior? I guess there was some T.V. ad or something that was hyperbole (did I use the term correctly?) but people took it seriously. You can wipe it down with a sponge quite easily, what with the waterproof seats, no carpeting whatsoever, etc. (I have a 2003 4WD Element and loooooove it!) :heart: You can even hang bikes out the back for shuttle runs.

I think the Scions (the boxy ones) look like minivans. I don't see the appeal.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
I actually test drove one today. It was a fancy shmancy limited with the leather and all that. I wouldn't be getting one of those.....IF I got one of course. It's definitely a little more refined and far more baby-friendly. Doesn't seem as torquey. They claim more HP though... Not sure about the tranny either. When I tromp on it in my Cherokee, it chugs down and goes. (XJ's have pretty decent giddyup). The KJ didn't seem to want to downshift. Of course my daughter was completely zonked out in the back seat so I didn't REALLY beat it too badly.

A big drawback too that just struck me is that with the spare tire hanging off the back, I don't think my Sportworks would work (folded up), without some modification....

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Wait for the new xterra - it looks way better and probably has much better tolerances/won't fall apart as fast...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The 2005 is completely redesigned (based on the same platform as the Titan which is the highest rated pickup in its class) looking to address the shortcomings of the old model and its a offroader vs. a softroader (at least in the older versions of each vehicle)...

I think most people would take Nissan build quality any day over DaimlerChrysler...

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Tenchiro said:
Soon Homer is showing off his Canyonero at the SNPP. As he drives
past, Lenny and Carl make cat-calls from the parking lot. Homer stops
and lowers his window.

Lenny: Oh, sorry Homer. We thought you were one of those hot-to-
trot soccer moms.
Carl: Yeah, you don't see many men driving the F-series. [Lenny
and Carl indicate badge on side of truck]
Homer: Huh?
Lenny: [reaches in the window, and pulls something out] See,
instead of a cigarette lighter, it's got a lipstick holder.
Homer: Aw, crap, it's a girls' car! I can't drive this.
Lenny: Oh sure you can, dollface. [makes kissy noises]
Carl: Heh, heh, pretty thing like you can do whatever she wants.
[Lenny and Carl share a laugh]
Homer: Shut up! Screw you guys! [drives off]
Hehe...
Last night was the episode where homer has the yawn/stretch contest with the truck drivers :D I laughed at it pretty hard... again.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Finally Chrysler is going to release some of their Diesel engines in the US. I've always thought the Wrangler would be a good match for a diesel engine because of the torque required for off-roading. I've always like the Liberty, and with a diesel engine it might be my new 2nd car.

Jeep announces the Liberty 2.8L CRD, the first diesel-powered mid-size sport utility in the United States. Coming in early 2005, the Jeep Liberty CRD, or Common Rail Diesel, is an all-new, second-generation design that features advanced technology to create a more-powerful, cleaner-running, quieter diesel engine. And that means Jeep Liberty is now more capable than ever.

Unsurpassed Power
# the fuel economy of an I-4
# the acceleration of a V6
# the torque output of a V8
# best-in-class torque
# power on demand

Increased Efficiency
# Best-in-class driving range*
# over 480 miles to the tank
# up to 25% better fuel economy*

Advanced Operation
# cleaner running
# smoother operation
# quieter ride

JEEP JEEP!!
5Char

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Wumpus said:
Jeep Liberty will be available with a 2.8-liter common rail diesel (CRD) engine for the first time in the United States and Canada. The 2.8-liter CRD is rated at an estimated 160 horsepower (120 kW) at 3800 rpm and with 295 lb.-ft. (400 N.m) at 1800 rpm, providing class-leading torque and towing capability. Diesel engines offer another option for increased torque, towing and range, while improving fuel economy an average of 25 percent and reducing CO2 emissions by an average of 20 percent. The diesel engine will be available on both Sport and Limited models.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: 300 lb.-ft. torque at 1800rpm!!!

:love:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Yeah they're getting sweet sweet diesels...

See, the Element would be nice for the bikeys...I'm not too into the off roading stuff, but for mountain biking I have to drive on rocky dirt roads, and my 88 Honda Accord has a rough time with that.

Whats wrong with the older Xterras?

GeoffW

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
First off, I'm a die hard Jeep man, my 98 XJ is eseentialy a stock outer shell with mods galore including a Accurate Power I6 block @ 270 hp amoung other things. The XJ isn't bad, but you have to be more specific with what you want out of it, if modding is your cup o'tea keep your XJ, if your happy with stock keep the XJ. Overall, the 3.7 doesn't impress near what the 4.0 does. As a 90% on highway vehicle, the additional room of the KJ is nice, I think it's a decent vehicle, but a little too refined for my liking.
Whoever was bragging about Nissan's Build quality, is that what you buy a SUV for? If it is, stay with Nissan, we don't need more of your type demanding IFS on every new Jeep. I didn't buy my XJ for fit and finish, nor did I buy it for ride quality, in fact it rides quite rough, however let's talk 3 feet of bog or some river valley crawling and instant wood over the XJ. The 4.0 in stock form will go for as many, if not more miles than any improt engine I've seen. It's quite unfortunate that the '05 ZJ is IFS up front, equally as unfortunate is the fact that such a sweet little diesel wasn't offered in the XJ, think of the ruber 300 ft*lbs could drag

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
xbluethunderx said:
Yeah they're getting sweet sweet diesels...

See, the Element would be nice for the bikeys...I'm not too into the off roading stuff, but for mountain biking I have to drive on rocky dirt roads, and my 88 Honda Accord has a rough time with that.

Whats wrong with the older Xterras?
xterra == frontier. frontier == teh suck. if you want a nissan suv and aren't a hardcore offroader get a pathfinder. 31"s fit fine, and it's on its own unibody :eek: platform. more room, better ride, same powertrains (substituting the supercharged 3.3L in the later xterras for a 3.5L V6 in 2001?-on up pathfinders, basically an even trade afaik)

MikeOK

Monkey
Nov 29, 2002
twelve
syadasti said:
I think most people would take Nissan build quality any day over DaimlerChrysler...
I have a TJ and I must agree, DC puts out junk and the dumb thing gets about 14 MPG. It will go anywhere though, and is simple. I wish the japs would start buidling a TJ, it would last 250,000 miles, get 25 MPG, and cost 5k less.

Attachments