Quantcast

I think I got bit by a snake...

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
..riding down the trail the other day.

At first I thought I hit a cedar stump, but when I went back to look today the stump was too low to hit me in the shin.

ButtersNZ

Monkey
Jun 6, 2013
Now I'm no herpe-tologist but if the fangs are that far apart then it was a big snake. No way would you have barely noticed it.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
nope Besides if it was poisonous you would be sick and it wouls be swollen and discolored big time
The only poisonous snakes I see in the park are copperheads which are small. I've seen some four to five foot rat/king snakes though. I agree it is a bit out there, but there isn't any other plausible explanation.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The only poisonous snakes I see in the park are copperheads which are small. I've seen some four to five foot rat/king snakes though. I agree it is a bit out there, but there isn't any other plausible explanation.
Rat and king snakes have a series of small teeth not two prominent fangs like rattlesnakes. If you got bit by one of those non-venomous you'd have lots of little marks not two big ones.

Constrictor (like a rat snake):

Colubrid (like a king snake)

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Looks like hawk bites. You should go back and kill it with fire.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I'm skeptical myself, but it wasn't a normal hit the tree feeling. I was moving at a good clip thru that section so it would have been a glancing blow, and the "cuts" bled like a puncture wound. Maybe it was a vorpal bunny.

Someone else's leg who was bit by a copperhead...

Many copperhead bites seem to be dry bites, and they have weak venom compared to most pit vipers.

I'll get a picture of the offending stump so all you intardnet sleuths can help identify the culprit.

Last edited:

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Here is the stump in question. If someone can explain how I hit that and only got two little marks...

The mark on my shin at bottom dead center is around the top of the shock.

and one more view of my lovely shin.