Quantcast

I think I just got scammed

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Ok, a lot of my actions may sound stupid, so please don't be harsh, I have a feeling I was taken, this is more of a warning to others out there who may be naive like me.

I was picking my car up from getting a radio installed and as I was exiting the parking lot some guys pulled up in a Jeep. They said something about a free system and needing to get rid of it. Thinking it was stolen I was hesitant and thought about calling the police, however the guy showed me a driver's license and credit card with his name, which matched the name of the paperwork he had, and a well used credit card in the company's name, which matched up with all the paper work.

He claimed that they had recieved an extra system from this company and that last time something like this had happened their boss had taken it. The business was in Costa Mesa and they had driven up to do the install. He was a fast talker and explained all this without really allowing for questions. I fell for it and ended up buying this thing off of them. Got warranty stuff and all that.

I know, stupid.

So I got home and feeling a bit wierd I went to check on the information I had been given. Turns out there is a scam similar to this that is popular. I called the Sherrif's department and have been talking with them.

I'm seriously pissed now, mostly at myself, for being taken and so stupid. I just pissed away a decent chunk of cash that I may not be seeing again. I do however have a stereo system of questionable value.

We'll see what the Sherrif department has to say.

The Ito

:stupid:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
wait, you have the stereo? Like Stosh said, does it work? Does it work almost as well as you'd expect?

Not sure how you got scammed?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
My buddy fell for the same scam. Well, its not necessarily a scam, I mean its probably worth what you paid...

ito

Oct 3, 2003
BurlyShirley said:
My buddy fell for the same scam. Well, its not necessarily a scam, I mean its probably worth what you paid...
Ya, technically I have something to show for it. Probably going to list it on Craigslist, see if I can find a buyer for the thing.

The Ito

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
ito said:
Ya, technically I have something to show for it. Probably going to list it on Craigslist, see if I can find a buyer for the thing.

The Ito
That or scam it off for possible more cash on the next sucka! Or demand a refund. If you have a receipt and an unused product, Im pretty sure they legally have to give you the money back within 30 days.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
BurlyShirley said:
Yeah, but stolen...How much did you pay/what is it?

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
ito said:
What a familiar pattern.

"Some people give up there, and throw them in the attic or the trash. However- just as there are people who are utterly lacking in morals selling the stuff, there are plenty of people who will try to at least recoup their loss, or even worse, make a profit. Here in Boston, these speakers have recently started appearing on the community website Craigslist, as people who have been suckered into buying them realize what they got, and try to get -anything- for them. The degree of honesty the poster displays varies from "I got suckered, does anybody want these" to a near replay of the original scam."

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
ito said:

The Ito
why?

I mean, if it does what you were lead to believe, so what?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
chicodude said:
Yeah, but stolen...How much did you pay/what is it?
The thing is, they arent stolen, its just a sales pitch to make it sound like you're getting a deal. They sell more an idea. But the give you a receipt, so just take it back.

ito

Oct 3, 2003
I Are Baboon said:
So you thought it was stolen and bought it anyway, then called the sheriff's office about it? Couldn't they nail you for receiving stolen property?
Well, it wasn't stolen I realized after talking to them. Like I said, they had all the purchasing stuff I needed to verify. I called the Sherrif's to report the guys.

More or less I get led into the idea of a "free lunch". Buy cheap, sell it for more and get a little benefit. Seems I should have paid more attention in preschool when they taught us about right and wrong and how dishonesty will never improve your life.

Right now I'd just like to get my money back, however I doubt that will happen. I'll call the speaker company and see if they can refund my money. Too late right now, but I'll try tomorrow. I have no need for a sound system, I was planning on turning it around on Ebay. Greed blinded me, got the best of me.

The Ito

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
justsomeguy said:
That's hilarious.

How do you propose that he take it back?
Easy. These goons usually have their own little areas they cruise around in looking for young men with lowered cars and shiny rims. Just get your biggest black friend to come with you for intimidation's sake, pull them over or corner them somehow and demand a refund.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Yeah...is it a functioning decent stereo, broken, cheap, POS, what? Store brand relabled as an Alpine? Give us some details, cause up till now, it sounds like you bought a stereo from a sketchy dude in a van. Doesn't sound like a scam yet....

ito

Oct 3, 2003
sanjuro said:
For the Bay Areans, what town did this happen in? Santa Clara?
No, this was in Santa Barbara, CA.

Well, I plugged it in and I have a functioning stereo, it isn't high quality, but it works. 4 standing speakers, amplfier, and a reciever that does DVD, CD, FM/AM, etc.

Still, I'm now down some money I couldn't really afford. Oh well though, a lesson learned.

The Ito

ito

Oct 3, 2003
BurlyShirley said:
Hey ito, I got some land in Florida, for cheap. Want me to PM you the info?
Yesterday I would have said yes, fortunately after today I am older, wiser, and (unfortunately) $400 poorer. So no, umnless it is a REALLY, REALLY good deal. :rofl:

Thanks though. I appreciate it.

The Ito

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
What brand? And is it really the brand that is labled on the equipment or a knockoff. A Soniy? Pioneeer? Onkio? JBC?

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
That $400 you just spent on the stereo, is in no way, going to change your life, or lifestyle to the point of regret.

If you dont want it, just sell it. Even if you lose $100, who cares. When you are lying on your death bed in 50 years, do you think that the $100 you lost it going to matter?

Move on.

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
ito said:
I'll call the speaker company and see if they can refund my money. Too late right now, but I'll try tomorrow.
You're kidding, right? So I was just riding along, rolled off a curb, and SNAP, I ended up with a crap stereo and an empty wallet. Will you please pay for my stupidity?

How could the speaker company possibly have ANY liability here? These guys make money by buying a $150 stereo and talking people into spending $400 on it. Did they lie? Sure. Are they scum? Yupper. Are you even worse for thinking you'd profit off of their misfortune? Probably.

It sounds like you've learned your lesson, but that won't be the case if you go looking for handouts. Suck it up, princess. Stick the stereo in the garage and enjoy some tunes when you're working on your bikes.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Hey guys...I have an offer. 1000 Acres of the kewlest land ever, 4x course, couple DH runs comparable to MSA and N*, sweet DJs, and some awesome singletrack. It's located in Valhallah, so you get the deed when you die. Cost is $10k or 10% of what you make in your lifetime, whichever is higher. Who wants it? Good stuff.

J

JRB

Brian HCM#1 said:
Hey ito!!!!!! Wanna buy a bridge?;)
Is it a suspension bridge in SF???

Hey Ito - none of our business really, but I'd like to know what the pawn shop paid for it. I am assuming you lost at least $250.

ito

Oct 3, 2003
loco said:
Is it a suspension bridge in SF???

Hey Ito - none of our business really, but I'd like to know what the pawn shop paid for it. I am assuming you lost at least $250.
I lost 300. Probably could have gotten more via Craigslist, but it wasn't worth the hassle.

Oh well, I'll just over-charge the next couple of people trying to get a tune up at the bike shop. ;)

The Ito

P.S. Yes, I'm a dumbass.

J

JRB

ito said:
I lost 300. Probably could have gotten more via Craigslist, but it wasn't worth the hassle.

Oh well, I'll just over-charge the next couple of people trying to get a tune up at the bike shop. ;)

The Ito

P.S. Yes, I'm a dumbass.
meh - I know it's hard to not be tough on yourself, but it happens. It sounds like you are smarter for it, so it'll be fine. I can't begin to count the dollars I have lost on bikes. Stupidity is subjective. It's a hard lesson, but a good one to have.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Can you give me a hand? My Uncle is a deposed Nigerian prince, and needs help getting our family fortune out of the country.

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
In college, I bought a set of speakers from "the speaker guy" in a van. I think $200 or so. 4 months later, they blew out, so I drove over to the company office with my warranty card - and they replaced the woofers for me free. (I was a bit shocked.)

10 years later - still rockin' them same speakers!

Ito - just be happy you didn't fall for the old NYC "brick in a box" scam! (where the camcorder box you paid $200 for is really just filled with a brick)