Quantcast

I think I'm done with Craig for a while...

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
The poor personal skills (that I too have experienced, time and time again) would come close to being justifiable if the product and the performance weren't absolute. fucking. garbage.

To say that the Avy products measure and perform half as well as a modern OEM Fox/RS/DVO/CC would be complimenting the Avy stuff too much.

Not only is the on-track performance not there, like not even in the damn ballpark, but the build quality has been historically quite bad. REALLY bad. Can go into lengthy detail about it, but I just don't feel like typing that much. Just another +1 here.

Why that company is still in business I will never understand. You don't see enough of their stuff floating around to add up the survival costs for a business like that these days. I really hope it's just a side gig for an otherwise solvent machine shop or something. If not, it should have been put down humanely a long time ago.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Not only is the on-track performance not there, like not even in the damn ballpark, but the build quality has been historically quite bad. REALLY bad. Can go into lengthy detail about it, but I just don't feel like typing that much. Just another +1 here.

Why that company is still in business I will never understand. You don't see enough of their stuff floating around to add up the survival costs for a business like that these days. I really hope it's just a side gig for an otherwise solvent machine shop or something. If not, it should have been put down humanely a long time ago.
please do go into detail.
I thought most of the stuff was quite nicely made.

and reguarding the solvent machine shop part.
no he outsources all of his components to solvent machine shops.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The poor personal skills (that I too have experienced, time and time again) would come close to being justifiable if the product and the performance weren't absolute. fucking. garbage.

To say that the Avy products measure and perform half as well as a modern OEM Fox/RS/DVO/CC would be complimenting the Avy stuff too much.

you should start you own custom suspension tuning shop. that'd really show him.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
please do go into detail.
I thought most of the stuff was quite nicely made.

and reguarding the solvent machine shop part.
no he outsources all of his components to solvent machine shops.
Short (and non-exhaustive) list:

Pistons don't seal well. Surface finishes on the sealing faces are just atrocious. Lack of any dish or lip to the pistons means they just leak like a mofo when clamped up.

The shock sealheads can get "squeeze" when installed into the cylinder and bind up on the shaft. Stickiest action I've ever seen in a shock.

The cartridge thread quality and footnut installation handling doesn't work without extra tools or some way to preload the system above and beyond what is common and acceptable.

Shitty loose rattle-fit threads in various spots.

Needle taper surface quality is...questionable.

Some shim stack arrangements put the shims into pretty extreme bending/folding and aren't durable or consistent. Further contributing to the sealing problem when the face shims get roached.

Anodize quality and consistency is pretty far out of family with what's conventional with any other off the shelf product.

Piston stem thread lengths don't always go all the way through the retaining nut. Lack of secondary mechanical retention on key single-point-failure threads is worrisome as well (patch lock, nyloc, castle nuts, etc).

To top it off, no moto tuner or offroad vehicle tuner or snowmobile shock tuner will ever touch this stuff without torque specs at the very minimum, or valving baselines. None of which he will ever provide anyone. So, as other users here have found out, if you want anything different, you now have an expensive, proprietary/sole-sourced science project to deal with.

Those material/design issues are not surprising for a one-man show that mostly outsources this stuff and spends most of the time on the phone griping and ranting. There are entire quality departments at the bigger companies to ensure MOST of this kind of BS doesn't happen, despite cutting costs and corners elsewhere. But when the only redeeming component of the whole outfit is supposed to be quality.....it damn well better deliver.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Not an issue with any Avy product/ service I've owned (3 shocks and a fork damper). No desire for coil or any other shock upgrade on my '17 Patrol since I got the Super Deluxe tuned, and before that, it felt like garbage on 2' drops.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
If we're being honest, actually an industry I've briefly considered. Can be lucrative.
I was sound boy on a shoot once, a model was doing naked exercises with an EKG thingy on her chest and I had to keep the audio levels in check, the uploaded vid was PIP with the sound summed mono from memory.
I think I was studying to be a roadie with a qualification at the time, so it was good practice.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Short (and non-exhaustive) list:

Pistons don't seal well. Surface finishes on the sealing faces are just atrocious. Lack of any dish or lip to the pistons means they just leak like a mofo when clamped up.

The shock sealheads can get "squeeze" when installed into the cylinder and bind up on the shaft. Stickiest action I've ever seen in a shock.

The cartridge thread quality and footnut installation handling doesn't work without extra tools or some way to preload the system above and beyond what is common and acceptable.

Shitty loose rattle-fit threads in various spots.

Needle taper surface quality is...questionable.

Some shim stack arrangements put the shims into pretty extreme bending/folding and aren't durable or consistent. Further contributing to the sealing problem when the face shims get roached.

Anodize quality and consistency is pretty far out of family with what's conventional with any other off the shelf product.

Piston stem thread lengths don't always go all the way through the retaining nut. Lack of secondary mechanical retention on key single-point-failure threads is worrisome as well (patch lock, nyloc, castle nuts, etc).

To top it off, no moto tuner or offroad vehicle tuner or snowmobile shock tuner will ever touch this stuff without torque specs at the very minimum, or valving baselines. None of which he will ever provide anyone. So, as other users here have found out, if you want anything different, you now have an expensive, proprietary/sole-sourced science project to deal with.

Those material/design issues are not surprising for a one-man show that mostly outsources this stuff and spends most of the time on the phone griping and ranting. There are entire quality departments at the bigger companies to ensure MOST of this kind of BS doesn't happen, despite cutting costs and corners elsewhere. But when the only redeeming component of the whole outfit is supposed to be quality.....it damn well better deliver.
are these all avalanche products or avalanche tuning bits lodged into other MFGs shock bodies/forks?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Where's Bullcrew?
I'm out of this one!!!!
Been gone too long!!!!

My contribution:
I like Craig, he can be a pain in the ass (yes rumors are true lol) but I still like him..
Website needs a new face more cutting edge current, new decals and have retro decals...
The guy working for him , I like his patients and demeanor...fast responds and tries to not get over involved....
All these things we know.....lmao he's like an old boot...Rough, holes, hard spots and dated BUT flat out works...(for most balls make you faster, he only makes it smooth so you don't bruise your balls going faster)...

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
I noticed the question being asked here about Vorsprung having a Tractive tune for your specific frame but that's not how it works. Basically if your shock is a RS Monarch + or Super Deluxe then Vorsprung can do a Tractive tune for it regardless of the frame it's on and if they haven't done your specific frame before they will model it up and make a new one for you based on the existing tunes in the database.