Quantcast

I think I'm going to bring my dog to work...

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Velocity Girl said:
Hehe...my platform would consist solely of laws to make the life of pets and pet owners more enjoyable! More dog parks, dogs at work, dogs in restaurants, dogs in stores. Oh yeah, and regulations about kids, oversized, and stinky people on airplanes (put 'em all on one flight far the hell away from me!)

I think I would be wildy popular :p
Ya got my vote!

Once in a while I bring my girlie to work. She sits on her bed in my cubicle and doesn't make a peep. Well, she'll get up and wag her tail if someone comes over to the printer (she thinks they are here to see her).

I totally agree with the argument if people are allergic - but other than that, there is no agrument. People who have pets think of them as members of the family. You have your life and I have mine - don't tell me I don't have kids because

riverside73 Dogs are for people who can't handle the challenge and joys of raising kids!!

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
MtnBikerChk said:
Once in a while I bring my girlie to work. She sits on her bed in my cubicle and doesn't make a peep. Well, she'll get up and wag her tail if someone comes over to the printer (she thinks they are here to see her).

I totally agree with the argument if people are allergic - but other than that, there is no agrument. People who have pets think of them as members of the family. You have your life and I have mine - don't tell me I don't have kids because
That's awesome you get to bring your girl into the office sometimes! So how many times have you been asked "I thought greyhounds were hyper dogs?"

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
N8 said:
Dogs are not people, people.
We don't believe you in the PD forum, and we don't believe you now. (you can still build me a house and make me a martini though)

Dogs, kitties and fish are all people, people!

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Velocity Girl said:
That's awesome you get to bring your girl into the office sometimes! So how many times have you been asked "I thought greyhounds were hyper dogs?"
We were at a Meet and Greet this past Saturday (we do volunteer work for our local greyhound group), and one guy there was amazed when I told him greyhounds are happy to just sleep all day. Most people think because greys are so fast, they are full of energy. PFFT. Our pup sleeps 20 hours a day.

SLAPSHOT

Chimp
Jun 9, 2003
SoCal
Velocity Girl said:
I can relate to the "you don't have kids/husband so you can take on the crap-ass assignment"...grinds me to no end. Why is my life unimportant just because I don't have kids, or a husband/wife?

Although I seriously would love to bring my dogs into work, it's more the point that if I'm not allowed to disrupt the office with such a thing why is it ok for others? Just because it's a child does not mean they get a free pass. I'm not a "kid-person" and don't really enjoy interacting with them unless they are related to me so doing it at work is not what I want to do.

And in defense of my co-worker today, the office is dead right now so it really wasn't too big a deal (although I still don't agree with it )Just everytime I hear that high pitched voice it sends chills up my spine!!!!
You know the disbelief you experience when people say they don't like dogs. You think, wow, you are missing out on the absolute joy of having a dog, if you had a great dog you would understand. Well, its the same with kids. You simply have to consider that maybe you really don't know what its like, just like people who don't have dogs don't know what its like. My wife and I are dog people, and never believed having kids would be that different than having a dog, in fact, we consider our dog our first child. Nonetheless, it is a different world, which you really cannot comprehend until you experience it. And I bring both my dog and my kids to the office (usually not at the same time). I agree that neither should be there if they are a distraction.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
I Are Baboon said:
We were at a Meet and Greet this past Saturday (we do volunteer work for our local greyhound group), and one guy there was amazed when I told him greyhounds are happy to just sleep all day. Most people think because greys are so fast, they are full of energy. PFFT. Our pup sleeps 20 hours a day.
Yup! I always like the look of amazement on people's faces when I tell them that. I honestly think some don't believe me. I know ares are a bit more active than alot of greys even and their laziness still amazes me. I could not have 4 dogs if they were all high maintenance. Since it's gotten colder out we've been using the gas fireplace more and our dogs have turned into bigger slugs....fire induced comas! You know, I wish I could be that freakin' lazy though and still have the waistline they have!:p

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
SLAPSHOT said:
You know the disbelief you experience when people say they don't like dogs. You think, wow, you are missing out on the absolute joy of having a dog, if you had a great dog you would understand. Well, its the same with kids. You simply have to consider that maybe you really don't know what its like, just like people who don't have dogs don't know what its like. My wife and I are dog people, and never believed having kids would be that different than having a dog, in fact, we consider our dog our first child. Nonetheless, it is a different world, which you really cannot comprehend until you experience it. And I bring both my dog and my kids to the office (usually not at the same time). I agree that neither should be there if they are a distraction.
Sorry...still not going to convince me on this one ;) Although better argument than some I've heard. I fully believe having kids would be 180 degrees different from a dog in many many aspects. Kids require much more time, constanst supervision, money, parenting, you being a role model, etc etc etc. I have dogs that are very cool and I'm very commited to, but I don't have to worry about who they are hanging out with at school, how I'm going to get home from work to get them to soccer practice on time, and how I'm going to pay for their college tuition! And I actually do understand why some people don't like dogs. It just doesn't fit their lifestyle, or they don't personally like having a pack of crazy beasts greet you at the door. To each their own. And I love dogs, but that doesn't mean I would ever want to own certain breeds due to their hyperactiveness, protectiveness, etc. With a kid...you're kinda rollin' the dice!

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Ciaran said:
And I am not a gamblin' man!

Less kids! More pets!
And in my case, the odds are not in my favor. For example, I would not want to own a high energy, obsessive compulsive breed of dog. Well, their is 50% chance that a child with my genes would be just that. My mother is very polite in telling me I was a "challenging" child, but who the hell is she kidding,I was a freakin' border collie of a kid, and still am!!!! Nope..not good odds at all.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
narlus said:
can you take yr pets sledding?

:)
Don't think mine would like it either, but a few of them do enjoy a good romp in the snow ever now and again. And besides, that's what nieces and nephews are for :D

Oh yeah....sweet sled track by the way :thumb: