Quantcast

I think I'm going to name it Fluffy.(Not a Spider)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
nice one. two weeks ago, a big snapper (~2' diameter shell) was crossing the road next to our house, but away from the pond? :confused:

he looked big enough to fend for himself, though, so we just made sure he crossed OK.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
narlus said:
nice one. two weeks ago, a big snapper (~2' diameter shell) was crossing the road next to our house, but away from the pond? :confused:

he looked big enough to fend for himself, though, so we just made sure he crossed OK.
Big Snapping turtle, probably a she going to lay eggs.

Hamburgler

Chimp
Aug 25, 2004
be careful with those things...oftentimes there is no way to pick up a medium sized one. They have long necks, sharp claws, and tail that pulls your hand into the jagged rear of the shell.

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
Rip said:
Ever pull out of the water a 120 pound snapping turtle, those are big suckers.
no, but when i was a kid i did come across two shells of ex-turtles in teh woods. they were both probably 2 feet tall...EEEEnormous!

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
Hamburgler said:
Seems like you have pulled them out of the water before...but often times there is no way to pick up a medium sized one. They have long necks, sharp claws, and tail that pulls your hand into the jagged rear of the shell.
thats why you need to have a big pair of pliers on hand (not that i would know of course)

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
Hamburgler said:
be careful with those things...oftentimes there is no way to pick up a medium sized one. They have long necks, sharp claws, and tail that pulls your hand into the jagged rear of the shell.

I've lived around snapping turtles my whole life, I know how to handle them. The young ones(Hatchlings) you need just a thick set of gloves, hatchlings don't bite. The others you need a broom handle, welder gloves long sleeved shirt and two sets of hands to move.

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
my parents house has a river running through the back yard and it was common to see the gigantor snappers 2-3' dia. One time when I was a young lad, we were golfing in the back yard and the ball went like 5" from one. So I tried to get it with the club and that sucker chopped the shaft in half:eek: no joke!

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
I saw on Michigan Out Of Doors (local TV Show)
this guy goes snapper hunting :eek:
he waids around in a river and feels with his hand for them then pulls them out by the tail!
it was extreme!