Quantcast

i think im going to start with bmx jumping/park instead of mtb.

trailrider1

Monkey
Jun 2, 2009
i think i wanna start out on bmx. its cheaper for one and looks a bit funner to me. i wont have to drive an hour to get to the dh/ freeride park. theres a skatepark 30 mins away. sorry for all the trouble of the mtb thou :P
so what would be a good bike? i looked at these. do they look good for starter bikes?
http://www.mongoose.com/usa/eng/bmx/Products/BMX/Dirt-Street/Details/2711-M9BRA-Brawler
http://www.diamondbackbmx.com/bikes/street-park/option/
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bikes/bmx/2292/32224/
thats what ive looked at so far.
i want to do mostly jumping dirt and ramps. but i will also do some street.

trailrider1

Monkey
Jun 2, 2009
sorry. im not the best speller. and i think i text too much. are there any bikes on there your reccomending or just giving me the site?

Last edited:

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Good move on starting with the bmx. It's one of the best ways to develop bike skill for all types of bike riding.

There are lots of quality entry level bmx bikes out there. What price range are you looking at?

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
i think i wanna start out on bmx. . . . i want to do mostly jumping dirt and ramps. but i will also do some street.

how tall are you ?

if you are medium height or tall, you'll want a longer frame and taller bars. e.g. 20.5" or 21" top tube and 8" or 8.25" bars.

if you are shorter, you'll want a shorter bike, like 19.5" or 20" top tube and 7" or 7.5" tall bars.

Fit Bikes complete - TRL 1

http://www.empirebmx.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7008

$359.95

20" TT, steel frame with cromo TT, hi-ten fork with cromo steer tube, std 1-1/8" HT, Fit grips, 7.25" bars, Tektro brake and lever, tubular 3-pc cranks, sealed Mid bb, 25t sprocket, 14mm axles, sealed cassette with 9t, Alienation rims

http://www.empirebmx.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9272

Kink complete - Gap XL 2010

$349.95

21' TT, 4130 cromo main tubes, fork with cromo steerer tube, integrated headset, 2-pc Kink 8" bars, 25t Kink sprocket, cassette hub with 9t driver, 175mm 3-pc tubular cromo cranks, Mid bb, alloy pedals, U brake, 2 pegs

Last edited:

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
sorry. im not the best speller. and i think i text too much. are there any bikes on there your reccomending or just giving me the site?
I actually think you are going to want a subrosa. They make a nice frame. Beside, I know a kid that has a fit trl and he bent the fork extremely bad. The frames are strong though.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
5'5 and growing. would those bikes be good for half and half?
i like those.
half what ? you mean jumping/park and street ? yes. almost all bikes empire sells will be rideable anywhere--dirt street or park. Race is a different story.

the main thing a street bike requires is a strong axle (typically oversized 14mm) in the rear for peg grinds. front wheel 14mm axle is optional--you can also run skinnier/lighter 3/8" axle hub in the front and still do a lot of street riding, if you're not a ridiculous smithgrind basher.

trailrider1

Monkey
Jun 2, 2009
yeah thats what i mean. park/jumping.
i think i like the first one of those two.
would that work for park and jumping? and why dosent it come with pegs?

Last edited:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
yeah thats what i mean. park/jumping.
i think i like the first one of those two.
would that work for park and jumping? and why dosent it come with pegs?
why don't you look at all the bikes they have and see what you like:

http://www.empirebmx.com/store/empire_SupplierCategoryProducts.asp?idCategory=1003

the FIT TRL1 doesn't come with pegs because it is in the TRL (i.e. TRAIL) series.

the PRK (i.e. PARK) series come with 2 pegs.

Fit Bikes complete - PRK 2

$449.95

20.5" TT, steel frame with cromo TT/DT, hi-ten fork with cromo steer tube, integrated HT, Fit grips, 7.75" bars, Tektro brake and lever, tubular 3-pc cranks, sealed Mid bb, 25t sprocket, 14mm axles, sealed 9t cassette, Alienation rims, detangler, 2 pegs

Fit Bikes complete - PRK 1

$369.95

20" TT, steel frame with cromo TT, hi-ten fork with cromo steer tube, std 1-1/8" HT, Fit grips, 7.25" bars, Tektro brake and lever, tubular 3-pc cranks, sealed Mid bb, 25t sprocket, 14mm axles, sealed cassette with 9t, Alienation rims, detangler, 2 pegs

These are beginner completes. If you want everything cool and light to boot, build up from a frame and fork and spend $1000+ or get on craigslist and find a complete that someone is selling.

Last edited:

crkt

Monkey
Nov 5, 2008
In the woods
I cant speak for the park bike but i ride a trail frame, the geometry is dialed and I fckin love it, the other one is sold out and costs ten bucks more so there you go. the specs are exactly the same so unless you really want pegs Id go for the trail.

aaronrocker

Monkey
Aug 7, 2008
Washington State
I cant speak for the park bike but i ride a trail frame, the geometry is dialed and I fckin love it, the other one is sold out and costs ten bucks more so there you go. the specs are exactly the same so unless you really want pegs Id go for the trail.
i 2nd that. yea you can put pegs on no prob

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
if you think you might end up wanting to learn barspins or tailwhips or flatland moves, yet still have brakes, then the PRK bike is better because it has a gyro (rear cable detangler) plus pegs for only $10 more. if you bought the pegs and gyro separately, you'd spend like $50.

FIT is a cooler brand than mongoose, giant or diamond back because instead of being owned by a conglom corp, it's owned by Robbie Morales who is a rider who has put together an awesome team.

i'm betting that if you call empire and say you really want the PRK 1 but it's sold out and can they hook you up with some pegs and gyro on the TRL1 (SST Oryg, gyro spelled backwards) they could prob work somethin out.

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
trails are much better to start out on anyway. If you can rip trails, you can shred park. Don't just try tricks you see in videos like tailwhips and backflips. You should start trying to perfect things like a table top or other forms of random awesome style.

trailrider1

Monkey
Jun 2, 2009
ftw? whats that mean. and the reason i want it to be both is there arent bmx trails here. just parks and hour long drives to get to the trails. so untill im done digging, its park and street.

newrider3

Monkey
Oct 13, 2007
Colorado
You should at least spend the money now on a complete with full chromoly frame, fork, and bars instead of having to upgrade later. Unless you aren't even sure you'll be into it.

newrider3

Monkey
Oct 13, 2007
Colorado
Also, I have been riding a DK Six Pack (the older version of the bike I linked) for over a year, and have only had to replace things like tires, cables, pedals etc because of breakage/wear. Everything else is still stock and holding strong, or modified by me out of boredom.

Last edited: