Quantcast

I think I'm gonna be sick

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Wow. Just wow. What a fvcking idiot. I'm not normally one to condone violence, but this guy needs to be executed. Preferably in an inhumane method.

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
Bad case of judgment led to a lot of pain for others, it is a shame. However, it wasn't intentionally malicious at least.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
He got drunk before noon, purposely got in his truck, and drove away. That is malicious enough. Regardless if he aimed for the family or not, he's still responsible. Dipsh!t needs to suffer.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
While I agree that he did not set out to destroy this family, he still did through his actions. And now you want to excuse these actions? Screw him. Until we get to a point where idiots like this are held liable and responsible for their actions, this kind of crap will continue. String him up

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
While I agree that he did not set out to destroy this family, he still did through his actions. And now you want to excuse these actions? Screw him. Until we get to a point where idiots like this are held liable and responsible for their actions, this kind of crap will continue. String him up
The death penalty doesn't work as a deterrent for violent crime, sorry

In addition, he didn't actually hit the kids on purpose, the SUV hit them after he jumped out. It was incredibly stupid, he had incredibly poor judgment, but he didn't intentionally kill them. There is punishment necessary, but not a painful death.

Last edited:

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Bad case of judgment led to a lot of pain for others, it is a shame. However, it wasn't intentionally malicious at least.
wow...you are really full of crap! let me guess, this guy had a rough childhood which predisposed him to alcoholism and there weren't enough community services to inform him that driving drunk can be deadly so we should blame ourselves for this victim of society....right? :dead:

wake the hell up. the dude KNEW what he did, why else would he have run from the accident...TWICE!

his punishment should be years of community service (after prison) working in an emergency pediatric unit cleaning up after suffering children. :dead:

Lowlight7

Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Virginia, USA
"Scaphism, also known as the boats, is an ancient Persian method of execution designed to inflict torturous death. The name comes from the Greek word skaphe, meaning "scooped (or hollowed) out" and from Latin word meaning "boats".

The naked person would be firmly fastened within a back-to-back pair of narrow rowboats (or in some variations a hollowed out tree trunk), the head, hands, and feet protruding from this improvised container. The condemned was forced to ingest milk and honey to the point of developing severe diarrhea, and more honey would be rubbed on his body so as to attract insects to the exposed appendages. They would then be left to float on a stagnant pond (or alternately, simply exposed to the sun somewhere). The defenseless individual's feces accumulated within the container, attracting more insects, which would eat and breed within his or her exposed (and increasingly gangrenous) flesh. Death, when it eventually occurred, was probably due to a combination of dehydration, starvation and septic shock. Insanity would typically set in after a few days.

Death by scaphism is painful, humiliating, and protracted. Plutarch writes in Artaxerxes that Mithridates, sentenced to die in this manner for killing Cyrus the Younger, survived 17 days before dying."

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
That's pretty good but too elaborate. Just give him to me with a boning knife and a couple of quarts of whole blood to keep him alive longer.

The death penalty may not affect this type of behavior, but I bet a couple of youtube torture videos would.

You can see how I feel about child killers.

Lowlight7

Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Virginia, USA
I would be willing to give up the death penalty if we could reinstitute road camps.

"These here spoons you keep with you. Any man looses his spoon spends a night in the box." and all that.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
He didn't want to hit the kids, so it wasn't malicious, just incredibly stupid. He wanted to get home without paying a taxi.
Dude, I know what you're getting at, but to survive the PAWN you'll need to point out that you don't think the offender should be forgiven for his crimes, he needs to be punished for the correct ones. It would probably also be helpful to point out that the correct ones are still quite serious, just not murder in the first. It's not like folks in here aren't thoughtful, but you're just asking for trouble and feeding the hotheads otherwise...

Lowlight7

Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Virginia, USA
Main Entry: mal·ice
Pronunciation: 'ma-l&s
Function: noun
1 a : the intention or desire to cause harm (as death, bodily injury, or property damage) to another through an unlawful or wrongful act without justification or excuse b : wanton disregard for the rights of others or for the value of human life.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
wanton disregard for the rights of others or for the value of human life.
well-played.

Main Entry: wan·ton
1 a: merciless, inhumane b: having no just foundation or provocation
2: being without check or limitation: as a: luxuriantly rank b: unduly lavish : extravagant
3: a delicious pastry served in soup at the Lucky Panda Szechaun House

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
Pronunciation: 'ma-l&s
Function: noun
1 a : the intention or desire to cause harm (as death, bodily injury, or property damage) to another through an unlawful or wrongful act without justification or excuse b : wanton disregard for the rights of others or for the value of human life.
oops, I thought I wrote out that he deserved punishment but not the death penalty in an earlier post.

Read the first definition, he did not intend or desire to cause harm to someone else. If he doesn't care about the family that got hurt by the runaway vehicle then that is malicious.

Lowlight7

Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Virginia, USA
oops, I thought I wrote out that he deserved punishment but not the death penalty in an earlier post.

Read the first definition, he did not intend or desire to cause harm to someone else. If he doesn't care about the family that got hurt by the runaway vehicle then that is malicious.
If he cared so much about the family, why didn't he stop and help them? If he is of such thick moral fiber to preclude malicious intent, why didn't he turn himself in after committing the crime?

The scaphism thing is a joke.

His actions lack premeditation, which is requisite for First Degree Murder, which in turn is generally a requirement to seek capital punishment.

If for no other reason, his action constitute a reckless disregard for human life, which the legal system calls implied malice.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus

you retort as if the driver had no idea what could happen if he drove drunk. he knew what could happen and still took that risk. he made a WILLFUL decision to drive a 3 ton vehicle without the ability to control it. that is the same as me leaving my loaded pistol on a kindergarten playground and some kid finding it and blowing their head off. no, i had no "intention" to kill someone but my "wanton" disregard for the safety of others makes me responsible for the death and guilty of negligent malice.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Samirol said:
In addition, he didn't actually hit the kids on purpose, the SUV hit them after he jumped out.

If he doesn't care about the family that got hurt by the runaway vehicle then that is malicious.
You need to re-read the article. He was involved in an accident. Fled the scene. Was involved in another accident(killing a 2 yo). Fled the 2nd scene, and luckily(?) got stuck on a curb before he could do any more damage.

Astorga, who authorities said also fled the fatal crash, was arrested when his SUV hit a curb and stalled.

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
manimal said:
you retort as if the driver had no idea what could happen if he drove drunk. he knew what could happen and still took that risk. he made a WILLFUL decision to drive a 3 ton vehicle without the ability to control it. that is the same as me leaving my loaded pistol on a kindergarten playground and some kid finding it and blowing their head off. no, i had no "intention" to kill someone but my "wanton" disregard for the safety of others makes me responsible for the death and guilty of negligent malice.
So you believe drunk driving is a malicious act?

Not trying to white-knight drunk driving here, it is incredibly irresponsible and horribly wrong, but I don't believe that it is a malicious act. A person has to have horrible judgment to drunk drive, but bad judgment doesn't mean that they don't care about their victims.

e: yeah, I thought the vehicle hit the family after he jumped out, not that he jumped out after he hit the family

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Yes. The minute he put his keys in the ignition, he made a deliberate choice to endanger everyone else he encountered on that drive. Don't try to tell me he didn't understand the risk he presented to innocent people. There are many choices he could have made - pass out on his buddy's couch, call a cab, ask a friend or family member to drive, sleep it off in the back seat, etc. He deliberately made the worst possible choice and that is malicious.

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
Yes. The minute he put his keys in the ignition, he made a deliberate choice to endanger everyone else he encountered on that drive. Don't try to tell me he didn't understand the risk he presented to innocent people. There are many choices he could have made - pass out on his buddy's couch, call a cab, ask a friend or family member to drive, sleep it off in the back seat, etc. He deliberately made the worst possible choice and that is malicious.
What about those that drive while sleep-deprived, since the effect is the same as driving drunk, and all those options apply to them.

And like ^ said, people that talk on their cell phone and read the paper, are they all malicious?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

Not trying to white-knight drunk driving here, it is incredibly irresponsible and horribly wrong, but I don't believe that it is a malicious act. A person has to have horrible judgment to drunk drive, but bad judgment doesn't mean that they don't care about their victims.

e: yeah, I thought the vehicle hit the family after he jumped out, not that he jumped out after he hit the family
Think about it. This guy drove into a family, and instead of turning off his engine and taking his punishment like a man, drove away.

In the real world, intentions rarely matter. In this case, this person was so irresponsible, he got so drunk on a Sunday afternoon that he killed a 2 year old.

Is this guy a saint? It would be hard to believe it.

Lowlight7

Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Virginia, USA
Or he could have STAYED AT THE BAR.

You can't really call his action in killing the girl as negligent, per se, because negligence indicates that he should have known his actions would put others in danger. While you might be able to argue this for the first hit and run, he almost certainly knew he was putting others at risk (recklessness) when he sped away from the scene. And here we get back into implied malice.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
What about those that drive while sleep-deprived, since the effect is the same as driving drunk, and all those options apply to them.

And like ^ said, people that talk on their cell phone and read the paper, are they all malicious?
There was a case last year of a text messaging driver who killed a boy:

Craig P. Bigos had a history of bad driving long before he headed down a darkened street to his girlfriend's house in Taunton late last year.

He was driving on an expired license, had two previous accidents, and at least six tickets.

In late December, Bigos allegedly hit and killed a 13-year-old boy while texting a message. He has been charged with motor vehicle homicide and leaving the scene of an accident in a case that has shocked the Bay State.
Malicious or not, this person was so irresponsible, it is hard is not to think bad things about him.

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
Think about it. This guy drove into a family, and instead of turning off his engine and taking his punishment like a man, drove away.

In the real world, intentions rarely matter. In this case, this person was so irresponsible, he got so drunk on a Sunday afternoon that he killed a 2 year old.

Is this guy a saint? It would be hard to believe it.
No, he is a complete asshole and deserves to sit in jail, I misread the article and thought he spun out of control and ran into the family then got arrested.

Hit and run is malicious, no doubt, but drunk driving is just as malicious as driving while tired and talking on the phone while driving, both of which hugely decrease driving ability for no reason besides personal selfishness.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Just going out on a limb here, but I would be willing to bet that this wasnt is first time driving in this condition...

And not to push the semantics, but IAW the definition posted by Lowlight, this was indeed a malicious act. Wanton disregard for the rights of others or for the value of human life and all.

I have said it before, but VB for POTUS. Vote Aussie! :banana: :banana:

Lowlight7

Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Virginia, USA

I'm not sure what's worse, that you actually believe what you're saying or that you continue to argue against reason.

Talking on a cell phone or reading a paper while driving are actions that can be interrupted so they don't really apply here. Sleep deprivation is a body condition that, like intoxication, cannot easily be overcome.

If I sleep deprived person was at fault in an accident, no, his actions are not malicious. "Whoa dude, I shouldn't be driving. Good thing I didn't hurt anyone. Lemme wait for the cops to get here and I'll take my ticket..."

If, however, he got into that accident and then sped away to avoid capture and in the process ran down a family of cyclists, his actions are reckless in that he knew he was in no condition to drive, and yet chose to anyway showing a reckless disregard for human life which implies malice.

Lowlight7

Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Virginia, USA
Good show then. :clapping:

In that case, I'm not sure if I love you because you make this place interesting or hate you because you come off as such a loon.

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
Good show then. :clapping:

In that case, I'm not sure if I love you because you make this place interesting or hate you because you come off as such a loon.
it wouldn't be trolling if you thought it was a reasonable opinion