Quantcast

I think I'm in over my head...

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
I'm remodeling my bathroom, and noticed that the toilet was a little wobbly. After taking off two layers of nasty linoleum, I noticed a bit of the subfloor was soft (rotting). One thing led to another, and here I am:

So Im here thinking to myself... so... where to I ummm... "sit" tomorrow morning??? :eek:

extreme2

Chimp
May 17, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
Didn't mean to laugh, but I got a chuckle when you asked where will I sit tomorrow! You have your work cut out for you....Good Luck, and on a holiday weekend no less.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
uhh, if the wood's soft, you might want to look around for some leakage?

I'm a little bit of a do-it-yourself kinda guy and might call professional help at this point.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
Well, I found the problem as I was removing the flange... the wax donut was so degraded, I think there has been leakage in the past, but no wetness on any of the joists underneath, and dry as a bone under that (ceiling).

Ewwwww:

yonton228

Turbo Monkey
Mar 7, 2005
lacey washington
wow! thats a nastey prob. you can do it yourself, but you will have to have housing inspectors check out the repairs most likely. personally i would call around and ask for price qoutes. but good luck with that, get a health inspector also, to check for unsafe levels of mold.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
I think other states are MUCH more rigorous about inspections... NYS doesn’t give a flying crap unless you are visibly adding on to your property.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Crashby said:
Well, I found the problem as I was removing the flange... the wax donut was so degraded, I think there has been leakage in the past, but no wetness on any of the joists underneath, and dry as a bone under that (ceiling).

Ewwwww:
Common prob, you should be ok.

I'd get some good anti-mildew/mold cleaner and scrub everything down and let it dry thoroughly before buttoning it up.

Home Depot has some industrial mildew cleaners for that.

Instigator

ass balancer
Aug 22, 2001
Rochester, NY
Crashby, you silly boy!!!

I can give you a key to my place, so you can use my potty. Unless you can't handle walking across the street to poo........ :p

BSEVEER

Monkey
Dec 23, 2004
SoCal
I looks like you will be going to Home Depot tomorrow at some point so it might as well be in the morning, they do have bathrooms.

H8R said:
Common prob, you should be ok.

I'd get some good anti-mildew/mold cleaner and scrub everything down and let it dry thoroughly before buttoning it up.

Home Depot has some industrial mildew cleaners for that.
Screw industrial mildew cleaners, spray it down with bleach if you're fastidious, put some new flooring down, then a flange, and you're back in business. It ain't rocket science.

J

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
johnbryanpeters said:
...It ain't rocket science.

J
Funny you say that... Every major project that I do like this initially scares the crap out of me, then I do the job, it comes out great, and I say "It aint rocket surgery" :D

I actually stayed up ‘til midnight, and fixed the floor... luan is down, and backer board is being installed... then tile...

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
After working on it much of the long weekend, my bathroom's just about done... She came out pretty good!

Some before and after pics:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Very nice! Do we need to tune in tomorrow for the "How'd They Do That?" special?

Seriously, very nice work. The creamy crown moulding and fixtures look very good in contrast to the rich paint selection. I especially like the raw, natural look of that one outlet. ;)

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Looks good! I fear I have a similar situation waiting for me at some point in the future... although I plan to buy a camping-john so as not to be left without a "seat." ;)

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I have a leaking water line that is under the concrete slab (as in a slab-on-grade foundation) on the Parade-o-Homes house. Looks like my plumbing contractor is gonna have to reroute all the water lines thru the attic and down the walls. :dead::dead:

All gotta be done before Friday because the parade starts Sat!

:crying:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
N8 said:
I have a leaking water line that is under the concrete slab (as in a slab-on-grade foundation) on the Parade-o-Homes house. Looks like my plumbing contractor is gonna have to reroute all the water lines thru the attic and down the walls. :dead::dead:

Reason #32434 why basements rule. Of course in your neck of the woods a basement might be more of a swimming pool.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
N8 said:

There is something to be said about acessible water, gas, electrical lines in a house. I feel sorry for the next guy that has to get underneath my new bathroom floor.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Westy said:
Reason #32434 why basements rule. Of course in your neck of the woods a basement might be more of a swimming pool.

Exactly!

The problem should never have happend in the first place. I think a guy hit the copper line with a shovel when he was digging the foundation beams but I can't tell for sure. The plumbers should have caught it when they wrapped the lines with tape before we poured the slab but they didn't.

Bastids!

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
N8 said:

Thats why at least here in CA all water lines are run in the attic when there's a slab foundation nowadays. Too many ruptured lines.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
N8 said:
Is that because of the earthquakes?
Nope, soil is expansive here so it's always moving. Plus failure is usually at the solder joints. They should always be silver soldered if it's under a slab. So now for an island sink on a slab I always use soft roll copper so there are no joints under the slab.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Brian HCM#1 said:
Nope, soil is expansive here so it's always moving. Plus failure is usually at the solder joints. They should always be silver soldered if it's under a slab. So now for an island sink on a slab I always use soft roll copper so there are no joints under the slab.

I am going to ask our local city code office if I can start doing the same thing. We use continuous runs of soft roll copper under the slabs (no joints). But the beam diggers will sometimes hit one with a shovel when prepping the foundations.