Quantcast

I think I'm ready to end my riding sabbatical:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
So uh, as some of you know, I haven't really ridden my bicycle since August when I got back from my huge riding vacation in the northwest. It's been a good 4 months off the bike now and while Im sure my skills (what little I had) have deteriorated quite a bit, I'm getting that urge to get out in the woods again either way. I was just down in the bike room cleaning up the bicycles and rooting through my camel back and I got that old familiar feeling actually wanting to kick my own ass with an all day ride. The first couple always hurt, but oh well, the weather is looking good for a big ride one day this week. Im excited. :monkey:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I have a four month sabbatical every year called "ski season."

I've found that while my bike skills stay pretty much intact, it's the strength and endurace that takes a dozen or so rides to get back up.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
Most of the good trails around here are more suitable for skiing than biking during the winter, so it kind of ends up being a forced sabbatical most years. This year I'm racing indoor 4X, however so bike fitness and skills should stay relatively sharp! Keeping up with those younguns for an entire day on the bmx track is fuggin tough!

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon

I've found that while my bike skills stay pretty much intact, it's the strength and endurace that takes a dozen or so rides to get back up.
Mix some xc skiing in there and your strength and endurance will INCREASE during the winter. :)

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Have fun! I've been off my bike for some time now but the snow has melted and I am itching to get some more exploring under my belt too. I haven't been out since thanksgiving.

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
I'm getting the itch back. Once hunting season is over the first weekend in February Ill make more of an effort to do some winter riding. Its tough to find a good time to ride this time of season. Its rarely frozen long enough to ride, and its rarely dry enough to ride.

We are moving into our new home the middle of February, that might put a damper on winter riding also.

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
I haven't gone on a mtb ride in about a year, maybe a bit more. Just now starting to get the urge to go again.

It was a good year off. I was burning out. Did more bouldering/climbing.

But now I feel like riding again...uh..next week.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Don't worry about your skills, it'll all come back to you.

It's just like riding a bicycle.

:think:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
mmm...

Just got back from a 25 mile road ride. Now drinking a beer to undo it all :biggrin:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle

Same. I still know how to ride a bike in the spring, but I just can't do it without hacking up a lung.