Quantcast

I think my tires suck

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Been having a hell of a time this summer with punctures in the tread of my Maxxis Minion DHF UST tires (sidewalls have been fine). Sometimes it's a legit puncture, such as a sharp rock, but there have also been some less legit scenarios, such as when I recently was unfortunate enough to find a 1/8" diameter twig jammed into my tire after riding down a fire road. It just seems like these things are too damn easy to puncture and tear, which brings me to my question: Maxxis' website lists the UST Minions as having 27 TPI, while the 3C Minions are 60 TPI. Will I have better luck with the 3Cs due to the greater thread count? I love the DHF tread, but the reliability has been mediocre with these tires (not to mention that they're easy to burp when running them tubeless).

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
I have never ever had a flat running slow r minions and 3c minions and I ride lots of east coast rocks. My dh casing nevegals by contrast pinch flatted all the time unless I ran so much pressure that they were dangerously slippery.

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
I've recently moved onto using my tyres tubeless and have had zero problems with punctures or burping using standard dual ply DHF's. I considered using UST tyres but they felt wafer this in the shop which was one of the many reasons I stuck with dual plys.

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
I have never ever had a flat running slow r minions and 3c minions and I ride lots of east coast rocks. My dh casing nevegals by contrast pinch flatted all the time unless I ran so much pressure that they were dangerously slippery.
wow thats strange to me , is the opposite of my case. I coud never get the minions to stop flatting.
Maybe it is the rims, I have a MTX front and EX729 rear.
what about you?

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
i've been running a 3C on an S-type at about 20psi(or less..oops) and zero flats for about a year now...which is like 2 months for a normal person....i love my 3C for sure!!