Quantcast

I thought there was supposed to be a housing slowdown/bubble burst this year...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
We saw the usual seasonal slowdown in Nov and Dec here, but Jan has been busy and Feb has been insane...

I've got 3 house going at the moment...

J

JRB

SkaredShtles said:
Gee. Imagine something like housing being a regional phenomenon. :D
Don't have any idea what N8 said, but your response to it is funny.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
here's a neat web site i found via the WSJ.

www.zillow.com

it attempts (in a variety of ways) to gauge house values, and uses what appears to be Google Earth as you zoom in regions and see the details of a particular house. according to this, our house gained $186 in value last week. :)

however, since the market peak (in this area, anyway) of last August, it's down 31K. that said, the details on our house don't include the renovation/addition we did in '02. i just found out a way to edit this, so i've updated it.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
That's a cool site. In the nearly 2 years we've owned it our house is up $75k. If I factor in the recent kitchen remodel it's up $115k. It's appreciation is beating local, state and national averages with no dips in appreciation.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
they said the site is still in beta version, and that some areas are data-poor relative to others. still, i think it's a useful tool if you are looking to sell or buy.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
narlus said:
here's a neat web site i found via the WSJ.

www.zillow.com

it attempts (in a variety of ways) to gauge house values, and uses what appears to be Google Earth as you zoom in regions and see the details of a particular house. according to this, our house gained $186 in value last week. :)

however, since the market peak (in this area, anyway) of last August, it's down 31K. that said, the details on our house don't include the renovation/addition we did in '02. i just found out a way to edit this, so i've updated it.
I just was shown that site last week, it's very cool.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
narlus said:
damn, did you sink in 45K into yr kitchen? slap up some pictures!
I did and that's with bro-deal countertops (75sq ft of silestone) and my carpenter father in law installing everything. This all happened while my wife was between 6-9mos pregnant and the kid stalled us finishing it up. I still need to install some trim, hook up the hood and install a few lights. When that's done pics will be posted.....around 2010 based on current progress.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Our last house, 6 blocks away, is only up $25k in the same timeframe. That was sold at peak market and with a bidding war of suckers.