Quantcast

I told my woman that I need my space

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I love her and I love snuggling with her, but sometimes, a man has his needs.

So we're buying a king size bed.

Any suggestions? I've never purchased a really high quality bed before and I want something to last for some years to come. How much should I expect to spend... I assume in the thousand(s) dollar range?

What about those foam or number beds I see on TV? Marketing crap or good stuff?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I don't know about the sleep number beds, but those foam beds are incredibly comfortable... but expensive :dead:

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
binary visions said:
I don't know about the sleep number beds, but those foam beds are incredibly comfortable... but expensive :dead:

I've heard those get really hot. The In-laws had one that they returned because they got too hot.

I can't wait until I have a bedroom large enough for a king size bed. I love them.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
laura said:
I've heard those get really hot. The In-laws had one that they returned because they got too hot.

I can't wait until I have a bedroom large enough for a king size bed. I love them.
foam beds get too hot?

Our bedroom isn't big enough. I'm moving my dresser to my office so we can fit the bed. She'll keep her dresser in the bedroom. Getting dressed in another room is no big deal and totally worth having a better bed :)

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
We have a nice wool pillow top bed, it is wonderfully comfortable. It is warm in the winter and very comfortable in the summer.

It cost like $1000 for the matress though.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
LordOpie said:
foam beds get too hot?

That's the complaint. Since they mold to your body you sweat.

As for room size, our bedroom is the size of a king size bed so unless i want to live in funtime pilloworld, I'll stick with the queen.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
LordOpie said:
foam beds get too hot?

Our bedroom isn't big enough. I'm moving my dresser to my office so we can fit the bed. She'll keep her dresser in the bedroom. Getting dressed in another room is no big deal and totally worth having a better bed :)

They are not comfty either!!! Try one and see for yourself. Foam is highly over rated.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
LordOpie said:
I love her and I love snuggling with her, but sometimes, a man has his needs.

So we're buying a king size bed.

Any suggestions? I've never purchased a really high quality bed before and I want something to last for some years to come. How much should I expect to spend... I assume in the thousand(s) dollar range?

What about those foam or number beds I see on TV? Marketing crap or good stuff?
How big is your chick, man? That's a big bed!

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
I can't imagine foam being comfortable. Why not go to a good bed shop and try a few mattresses, what works well for one person may not be good for another.

Size wise, king-size is great imo. If you have the space available I think you'd need a damn good reason to go smaller.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Tenchiro said:
We have a nice wool pillow top bed, it is wonderfully comfortable. It is warm in the winter and very comfortable in the summer.

It cost like $1000 for the matress though.
I figure it'll cost over a grand for a good mattress.

N8 said:
Don't do it!!!!!

Couples should never have anything larger than a queen sized bed...
Why?

laura said:
As for room size, our bedroom is the size of a king size bed so unless i want to live in funtime pilloworld, I'll stick with the queen.
That sounds awesome!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My wife wants twin beds because I flop :D

We looked at the foam and I think we will get one after the summer (qween, not king). We have a feather top right now and I get poked by feathers and they are everywhere in our room. We've had it for a while though and we are due for a new bed.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
bluebug32 said:
How big is your chick, man? That's a big bed!
The issue sometimes is my 10# cat that some how takes up half the bed. I kick the cat off when I think of it. The dog is just as bad, even tho he's 3x her size.

But sometimes, I like to spread eagle... you're welcome for that visualization :D

fluff said:
Size wise, king-size is great imo. If you have the space available I think you'd need a damn good reason to go smaller.
That's what I'm thinking too.

Not that I want our future children to sleep with us, but I really like my space.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
LordOpie said:
The issue sometimes is my 10# cat that some how takes up half the bed. I kick the cat off when I think of it. The dog is just as bad, even tho he's 3x her size.

Psh, try having a 30 pound cat and 55 pound dog sharing the queen size bed with you and your SO. I feel like I am sleeping in a manger.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
laura said:
Psh, try having a 30 pound cat and 55 pound dog sharing the queen size bed with you and your SO. I feel like I am sleeping in a manger.
Is your cat really 30 pounds?
One of ours is 22.
Anyway, this is our problem as well.
Right now, we have a queen sized bed which is prefect for me and my wife, but once you add in that damn terrier and a couple of cats all of which think it is their god given right to sleep horizontal, well then..... We are gonna have to get a king size bed when we move.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
We could use a new bed. Ours is like 10 years old and is starting to sag a bit.

The dog sleeps on the floor. I mean, she can sleep on the bed when we're not in it, but when I come to bed and she's there, I just snap my fingers and say "Off" and she jumps onto the floor. I love having a dog that listens! :love:

The cats have to be forcibly removed though. :think:

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
fluff said:
Why do you people let your pets sleep on your beds? Who's in charge?

I kick the pets out if they are on my side. Last night I woke up to TN crowding me onto a twin sized portion of the bed. Why you ask? Because our human sized cat decided he wanted to lay long ways across the end of the bed and TN won't kick him out because sometimes he like to put his feet under him when he is cold. So I knocked him off the bed and the bedroom floor shook.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Jeremy R said:
Is your cat really 30 pounds?
One of ours is 22.

We haven't taken him to vet in ages so we have know clue how large he truly is. All I know is when he walks, the floor shakes, and it is difficult to pick him up and carry him around anymore.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
fluff said:
Why do you people let your pets sleep on your beds? Who's in charge?
I don't usually, but sometimes the little beasts jump on while we're asleep.

Regardless, yes, go to a bed store, but is there some technology or brand that I should look for or avoid (besides what's been commented on already)?

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
LordOpie said:
ya gotta post a pic!

The pictures don't do him justice. I will try to find a good one, but he's like the great pyramids of egypt. You have to see him in person to truly appreciate his size.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
I slept on one of those foam beds at a hotel, worst thing ever!!!

Didn't support me well, my back was killing me for 2 days afterwards.

Because it wasn't supporting me well I was tossing and turning all night - when you change your position it takes a few minutes for the crater you had already created to recover. Plus that crater and the edges are now packed and harder than the rest of the mattress.

If I was there a second night, I would have slept on the couch or changed hotels.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I have a pillowtop and it's super comfy especially because I'm prone to sore neck and shoulders. The only thing is that it gets an indentation after awhile...whoever's in the bed sort of rolls toward the center...it's the perfect way to promote spooning :thumb:

Jun 8, 2006
Washington
laura said:

yeah, when i went to get a new matress the guy at the store asked if i "sleep warm" because they are heat activated i guess, i hear they are really fomfortable and i can see that to be true as they mold to your body, really just personal preference i guess, i have a really cushy pillowtop and i like that. i would have considered memory foam but just too expensive. but ur best bet i think would be to buy a mattress from somewhere that offers like a 30 day guarantee, thats what they did for me, and i ended up trading my old one in for my new pillowtop cuase it was too hard for my taste

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
One thing to keep in mind with a mattress is all the chemical crap most of them are made with. Most mass market mattresses use formaldehyde based glues to hold everything together (which is carcinogenic). NO big deal except for the fact that you are holding your face right up to it for 8 hours a day. The flame retardant in those things is just as bad. (Borax is much better.) The foam mattressess are no better since each of those tiny little air pockets holds not air but chemical residue from the mfg process - nasty stuff.

They cost more, but look into a "natural" mattress made from wool and natural rubber foam. I am not at all convinced that organic mattresses are worth the $$$$$$(I mean STUPID expensive), but I am definitely convinced that the standard offerings are to be avoided at all costs.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I have the Tempurpedic jobber, and its better then advertised.

My hips and shoulder were all kinds of wrong before we bought this bed. Playing rugby I had somehow gotten my coxysis moving around, which really sucked. Every morning I'd have to put my hip back into place. On this bed, after the first week, I have never had to do it again.

Mind you we blew like $1800 for a queen, but for as well as I sleep now, and for as good as my body feels, it was worth every cent in my opinion.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
LordOpie said:

But sometimes, I like to spread eagle... you're welcome for that visualization :D
California King Size.

Allows you to entertain more guests, 4 legged or otherwise......if you are into that kind of thing......

But seriously, my brother and his wife have a king size bed with some sort of pillow top and they love it. They can not even tell when their 115+ pound Rhodesian Ridgeback jumps up on the bed at night.

I have some sleep number type thing that my parents unloaded on me when I got here. It's ok, but it seems half of it goes soft over time and I am constantly making adjustments.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
douglas said:
I also told my woman that I need my space

so she she left w/her King size, so now I sleep on my old queen size

:D
when we split.
i told her, "i'm keeping the king size bed, the washer/dryer and the cat."
"take everything else and go."