Quantcast

I told my woman that I need my space

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Waterbed!

Barring a waterbed I recommend Chattam And Wells. Awsome, awsome mattress. A bit expensive but so worth it. Don't skimp on your mattress, you spend alot of time there.

Maybe ask around and see who has what. Maybe you can get people to let you try out their beds. (Mom and Dad, or other relatives work great for that.) I think that many people buy their mattress like they buy their bikes. A quick test ride, and a check of the specs and we'll take it. Later they find that it's not quite right...

I have never tried on of the Sleep Number beds so I can't comment on them. I've slept on C&W, Sealy, and Sterns & Foster. C&W was the best... well, aside from my waterbed.

http://www.chattamandwells.com/index.html

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
We got our queen a few years ago and we ended up with a euro top (don't remember the brand). It's a normal mattress but with a 3 or 4" memory foam top with some kind of quilted covering. We went in looking for a feater pillow top but the euro was much more comfortable in my opinion. I think it was just under $1000. That bed and my trust down comforter is all I need.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
You're dreaming if you want a 'quality' king size bed for ~$1000. Not to mention buying all new bedding for it.
I just assesed this very issue and moving from a queen to a king natural latex matress including a new frame and bedding was going to be around $10K.
Your standard consumer level king bed set at a standard dept. store will run you up near $2000+. Duxiana will run you around $7K.
As it was already mentioned though, your back might be happy on the Costco special king. My neighbor swears by Costco beds but he could sleep on the floor and be happy too.
I like buying bedding at Costco but the matress are too firm and chemical laden for me.
Ended up getting a queen latex slab with a wool topper at my lnbs. (Local Natural Bedding Store)

definetly check out costco, the have king and queen depending on where you go,(memory foam) our queen was 500, saw the exact sme thing in bed bath and beyond for 1200 ya know 1200, so look, you should be able to get one for about 700. really good matress, and they come in a small box that has th air sucked out of it, so you dont have to have it deliverd
peace
pm me if ya have any more questions:)

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
LordOpie said:
What about those foam or number beds I see on TV? Marketing crap or good stuff?
I bought one of those sleep number beds (Select Comfort). I've had it for a year and it rocks! Not much more expensive than a high end regular mattress, but you can dial in how firm or soft you want it to be and on a king or queen size each person chooses their own level.

10 year or so warranty on it, deliver to your house, and easy to move as it basically fits into a small box. It is pretty much a high end air matress, but it is amazingly comfortable. I recomend it. It is wonderful for back problems too.

The Ito

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I personally hate foam matresses. I guess it's a personal thing. About the size of the bed though: I was at a seminar about 'living a better more productive life' some time ago and they had this dude who was a biochemist and he was all on about getting a good night's sleep and how it's the most important thing in the world etc, but one of the things he said was actually quite interesting - He said that if you take any given couple their sleeping body temperatures are 80% likely to be significantly different, and that sleeping in close proximity to someone with a different body temperature is one of the biggest obsticles to getting into deep sleep rythms and actually having a really good night's sleep. He said if at all possible, get a huge frickin' bed and spread out. He also recommended those beds which have customised springs to suit the weight of the individual sleepers. Maybe he was getting a backhander from the bed manufacturing industry, I don't know. The heat thing kinda makes sense to me though.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Forgot to mention...some friends recently went bed shopping, couldn't decide on a king together so they did what seems like one of the best ideas I've seen since touring the mansions in New England with separate bed chambers:

Two separate queen beds! It's the sh|t.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
Changleen said:
I personally hate foam matresses. I guess it's a personal thing. About the size of the bed though: I was at a seminar about 'living a better more productive life' some time ago and they had this dude who was a biochemist and he was all on about getting a good night's sleep and how it's the most important thing in the world etc, but one of the things he said was actually quite interesting - He said that if you take any given couple their sleeping body temperatures are 80% likely to be significantly different, and that sleeping in close proximity to someone with a different body temperature is one of the biggest obsticles to getting into deep sleep rythms and actually having a really good night's sleep. He said if at all possible, get a huge frickin' bed and spread out. He also recommended those beds which have customised springs to suit the weight of the individual sleepers. Maybe he was getting a backhander from the bed manufacturing industry, I don't know. The heat thing kinda makes sense to me though.

body temp.. makes perfect sense... interesting study

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
My dad has a sleep number bed and swears by it!

I, on the other hand, don't have a lot of money, so my lady and I have our pillowtop queen. I can see why you would want a King! :eek:

As for the foam beds, there are different quality of them. There are the genaric ones, they suck. But the TemperPedic is AMAZING!

kindtrails

Monkey
May 23, 2006
Humboldt
Get the cali king! the extra length is definately worth it. I like the firm Serta's. My back never hurts anymore after sleeping on a firm matress.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Something that hasn't been mentioned yet: don't worry about getting an expensive mattress that'll last 20 years. Because if your mattress is being used "appropriately" it'll get nasty enough that you'll want to get a new one in 5. :D

So go inexpensive and comfortable. Any mattress will last 5 years.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
My buddy (whos nickname happens to be "thrift") just bought a 'demo' mattress. :dead: The mattress place has a deal where you buy the mattress at full price, sleep on it for a maximum of 2 nights and can exchange it if you don't like it for no charge. He paid half price for a mattress that was used for two nights...I dunno...I doubt I'd hit that deal and I KNOW my GF wouldn't. Discuss.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
SilentJ said:
My buddy (whos nickname happens to be "thrift") just bought a 'demo' mattress. :dead: The mattress place has a deal where you buy the mattress at full price, sleep on it for a maximum of 2 nights and can exchange it if you don't like it for no charge. He paid half price for a mattress that was used for two nights...I dunno...I doubt I'd hit that deal and I KNOW my GF wouldn't. Discuss.
That's what I'm talking about. Go to Denver Mattress, find yourself a comfy one, spend about $350 and get a new one in 5 years.

Demo mattress. Yikes. :dead:

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
SkaredShtles said:
Something that hasn't been mentioned yet: don't worry about getting an expensive mattress that'll last 20 years. Because if your mattress is being used "appropriately" it'll get nasty enough that you'll want to get a new one in 5. :D

So go inexpensive and comfortable. Any mattress will last 5 years.
They make a cover that goes on before the sheets to keep the mattress from getting nasty. You'll never notice it, and the mattress will survive a long time with it. And it's not a nastly plastic thing either (when the sales guy was suggestin it all I could think of was my grandmother's house with the plastic covers on all the furniture...)

I spilled red wine on our bed, ruined the sheets but the mattress didn't see a drop!