Quantcast

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
I was playing around with a linux program that supports iPods this morning. There was a glitch and the thing froze up on me.
I don't have any use for a little white brick so I decided to pull it apart to see if I could disconnect the battery and give 'er a hard restart.

The first thing I thought was to pull the hard drive, since it was swinging right in front of me and blocking access to the battery, but to my surprise it kept running without it. I tried plugging that back in and got a very worrying picture of a frowny-faced iPod.

Nothing to do now, but forge ahead.

It would have saved me a lot of greif if I'd known that the circled plug disconnects the battery. Oops. Maybe I'll remember that next time.

The high-tech tools involved:

Success!!!1!! Life is full of win.

I found an itty-bitty screw stuck magnetically to the side of the hard drive. Hopefully it wasn't important because it's not in there now.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
There is a write up on how to add a drive from an iPod to my new Linux netbook. I was thinking of buying a dead one and trying it, but it would defeat the purpose (solid state) of my Aspire One.

Looks like fun, though. Congrats on a successful surgery. There are always parts left over.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
I just bought a battery for my mini because the battery is dead. But I also picked up a 32GB flash memory card, so soon my first generation mini will have a fresh battery and 32GB of storage.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
and, corona?
I was just going to ask that...

Ahem... Corona?!?! Here at Ridemonkey we drink BEER.

No beer indeed!

With corona in your house you will never ever reach your eternal reward... Irish Whiskey with the Lord. Please, for the sake of the children... get some beer.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Don't get all huffy, the box is full of bike parts.

Garlic and onion mashed taters.

That flash conversion is cool. Something to think about for when I kill this one for reals.

Icantdrive65

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
Chinquapin fire road
Sometimes a "dead" iPod just has a jammed hard drive. While the power is off, whack it against your hand and try to turn it on. It might have broken loose. If not, turn it off and try again...maybe a little harder. I have resurrected my iPod photo several times like this.

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Sometimes a "dead" iPod just has a jammed hard drive. While the power is off, whack it against your hand and try to turn it on. It might have broken loose. If not, turn it off and try again...maybe a little harder. I have resurrected my iPod photo several times like this.
my mate discovered that after losing his temper with something or other and threw his old "broken" ipod mini against the wall and it started working again..

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
yeah my Ipod froze up once. Taking it back to best buy and buying a toshiba instead seemed to solve the problem. Hasn't frozen on me since.

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
OP: You didn't need to take your iPod apart. To reset it there is a special key combo you can use. There is also a special key combo to get it into disk mode so you can reboot it too.

Trust me on that, I was a dev on the project (macpod)

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
OP: You didn't need to take your iPod apart. To reset it there is a special key combo you can use. There is also a special key combo to get it into disk mode so you can reboot it too.

Trust me on that, I was a dev on the project (macpod)
I think he coulda cared less for the little white brick, hence his enjoyment in his disassembly. iPod+iTunes = the devil