Quantcast

I wanna banshee chaparrall

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
Hangin' with Riggs and Mertah
i need a dualie frame and after all of the bikes i have looked at over the past two years, from like every manufacturer: i think i found a canadian bike that will do the job for the right price.

anyone with some comments? maby someone had a scream that they want to compare it to.

feedback or comments?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
There's some funky rings around the pivots and at the headtube, must be some kind of voodoo Canadian construction... I don't trust it :think:

RITFreeRider

Monkey
Sep 10, 2003
In a Boulderado state of mind
Originally posted by Echo
There's some funky rings around the pivots and at the headtube, must be some kind of voodoo Canadian construction... I don't trust it :think:

It's showing all the possible points where it could break.:D

But seriously it's a really nice frame, that should last you a long time and give you countless hours of enjoyment.

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
5 or 6 inches of Romic?

only have :

4" Marz 03mxcomp
RF taperlock Next LP
Diablos stem
RF bar, Real Seal headset
Sram 9.o r der an disc hubs and shiftin
517s
hayes mechs

ifn i bring over my xc stuff will i be able to pull it off for a little while before i have to get new rims? how much am i going to REALLY have to replace in the first year if I like it.

Does my armour have to improve to full face with body at that point?

worried about my parts an if i should keep my xcish stuff on a HT an put my low end on it.

I take it the chaparral is not raceable, prolly not right?

weight got estimated at 9-11lbs, not sure

tire/frame clearance

front der is 34. somethin i think top pul

seatpost is 27.2

brake jacking issues

if it makes for an all around regular trail bike.

after visitin the shop an looking at the balfa two step at the exact same price i am still thinking banshee

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
5 or 6 inches of Romic?
***I run a Vanilla RC(2.0" stroke) in 5" travel setting on my Chappy.***

only have :

4" Marz 03mxcomp
RF taperlock Next LP
Diablos stem
RF bar, Real Seal headset
Sram 9.o r der an disc hubs and shiftin
517s
hayes mechs

ifn i bring over my xc stuff will i be able to pull it off for a little while before i have to get new rims? how much am i going to REALLY have to replace in the first year if I like it.

***I am an XXL guy and use 32H Rhyno XLs on mine.***

Does my armour have to improve to full face with body at that point?

***I use an XC helmet, clipless and light arm pads when on it.***

worried about my parts an if i should keep my xcish stuff on a HT an put my low end on it.

***Your call.***

I take it the chaparral is not raceable, prolly not right?

***In what class? It's too heavy to race XC and not really a DH bike.***

weight got estimated at 9-11lbs, not sure

***My Large was 11#11OZ with a Vanilla RC coil***

tire/frame clearance

***Huge amounts...a non-issue.***

front der is 34. somethin i think top pul

***The frameset comes with a front der included***

seatpost is 27.2

***Nope, an odd 30.4, so no Thomson option available...but a decent post is included with the frameset.***

brake jacking issues

***In theory, but I can't feel it. Certainly less than on a non-linkage single pivot.***

if it makes for an all around regular trail bike.

***That's exactly what it is...very versatile.***

after visitin the shop an looking at the balfa two step at the exact same price i am still thinking banshee

***I haven't ridden the 2-step, therefore, I can't intelligently comment on comparisons.***

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
The Chaparal is not going to be a competitive race bike for XC or DH. Its kind of in between those two. A bit heavy for my tastes but maybe one day if I can put my fears away I could use a bike like that to its potential. I think it would be a great bike for most North Shore rides. Not a bike for the biggest huckers out there but strong enough for most.

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
thanks for the tips.

i am going to think about this one for awhile longer. i will wait til march to determine what i am going to do.

it was worth the visit to the bike shop to sort out my issues at one point today.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
loco said:
I think Wumpus would agree that this is not an XC frame.
It is not a XC race frame that is for sure, but I'm liking it more each ride. I just need to get stronger to pedal the beast up the hills -- a granny might help with that.

Nov 14, 2004
W.Seattle
Its slopy at North Shore, due to the 4 bar linkage, its lighter then the scream, same specks, just 5 pound lighter. small wheel base, over all a good bike worth the money.

J

JRB

Corporatefailure said:
Its slopy at North Shore, due to the 4 bar linkage, its lighter then the scream, same specks, just 5 pound lighter. small wheel base, over all a good bike worth the money.
Wow - the scream must be made by Bradley tank co.

J

JRB

MMcG said:
Loco - screams are something like 13 pounds for the frame and shock alone! Beastly - and maybe unnceccesarily so in my humble opinion.
Yeah - we weighed Wumpus' Chap and it was 9.2 without the shock. :eek: It is a supa dupa xtra supa large though. :rolleyes: