Quantcast

i wanna join the roadie scene! :-)

nikwho

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
Flagstaff, Az
k, so i ride dirt bikes a ton and im having a blast tearing up trails on my new xc... Im not too nuts about the whole spandex thing, but to hell with it! i think that im pretty damn sexy and would look good in spandex! lolI think i wanna start riding on the road... theres a ton of folks riding around here and with the tour de' france coming up and all, i wanna get a road bike! lol call me wierd! I saw a purdy nice rocky mtn this morning at the shop that was like $1400 and was sweet! i really dont wanna spend that much on yet anonther bike... however, i wanna compete in the mountain man triathlon next year so i want something decent.... so, heres the question... what do i buy in the $600-$800 range... anyone wanna sell me a decent used bike??? just thought that i would through that out there...

h22ekhatch

Monkey
Jun 13, 2005
Portland
Yea I still wear my Oakley baggies on the road bike. Never stopped me from doing centuries and the like...

One word of caution though...my first road bike was a Trek that didn't quite fit, but was a really good deal. I ended up putting about 1000 miles on it before selling it.

My next/current bike is a Giant carbon that was properly fit for me...quite a difference.

You can get away with the bike not quite fitting right on a MTB (IMO), but on a roadie its a different story. Those little things that don't seem like a big deal for an hour become a huge deal at hour 6-7. I am not saying don't buy used, but you need to have a pretty good idea of what you want/need and exactly what kind of sizing you should be looking at.

nikwho

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
Flagstaff, Az
Well, im 6'1" and sitting right at about 200lbs... I would imagine that i would prolly be a large... but i imagine that if its that big of a deal on a road bike, i might have to take a test spin before the big purchase.. If you have something that you think might fit me well as a starter bike, shoot me a pm and we could talk about it... any input about the subject would be greatly apprieciated as i am a TOTAL noob when it comes to road bikes..... thanks for the input guys! this seems like a really good bunch on this site thus far!

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Sorry to derail but I am thinking about picking up a cheap road bike.

How does this look?
http://www.raleighusa.com/items.asp?deptid=5&itemid=289

I do not really care about weight or shift quality, the stem is cheesy but everything else looks solid. I DO NOT want any carbon on the bike either - this is the only bike I could find with a metal fork and frame. Plus it is probably ~$500, which makes me :)

I was planning on going with eggbeaters pedals (I do not anticipate racing . . .) Are quality pedals typically worth it for increased reliability during sprints?

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
bjanga said:
Sorry to derail but I am thinking about picking up a cheap road bike.

How does this look?
http://www.raleighusa.com/items.asp?deptid=5&itemid=289

I do not really care about weight or shift quality, the stem is cheesy but everything else looks solid. I DO NOT want any carbon on the bike either - this is the only bike I could find with a metal fork and frame. Plus it is probably ~$500, which makes me :)

I was planning on going with eggbeaters pedals (I do not anticipate racing . . .) Are quality pedals typically worth it for increased reliability during sprints?
There's nothing wrong w/ Eggs. W/ a stiff sole'd shoe, they're just fine. I run a pair of SLs.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
nikwho said:
Well, im 6'1" and sitting right at about 200lbs... I would imagine that i would prolly be a large...
Road bikes don't typically come in small, medium, large -- compact road frames are the exception. They are based on seat tube length usually in centimeters. You are probably around a 58 to 60cm, but it is based on your pubic bone height(PBH) which is your true inseam -- not to be confused with your pants inseam.

This thread had some sizing info --> http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156008

Some people find wrenchscience.com to be useful, others don't.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Just got back from riding the raleigh at the LBS. Road bikes are frikkin' weird! I can totally see how those guys can hit 35+ in a sprint though.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
I had trouble adjusting to the different hand positions when out of the saddle. Of course, the bar on my mountain bike is super wide.

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
You get used to it. It was months (and about 1,200 miles) before I was able to ride in the drops comfortably. (Well, I'm still not all the way there yet.)