Quantcast

I wanna ski..............

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Pau11y said:
SS, where did you get that pic? It looks like one of those ol' school Scott Schmitt pics when he was wearing that canary yellow North Face suit!
On the internet, stupid. :p

It's a promo shot from heli-skiing in the Monashees..... :drool:

Someday............ someday..............

-S.S.-

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
dh girlie said:
You suck...I hate you...because of your signature...jeezus!
If you like that, I've lived here (Steamboat Springs), going on my 15th year. A solid 5 of those I had over 120 days on the hill. Yes, I was here for the 96/97 DUMP and got in 2/3 of the three epic weeks. And, I don't think I've dropped below 30 days/seaon other than the one year I took off (body was just too beat up).

Edit: ppl who live in ski areas count skied days different. It could be as short as one run, or as long as a full day. I typically do 1/2 days, noon till closing, unless it's deep. When there's any depth, I do the rope drop till 11:00 or noon thing.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Pau11y said:
If you like that, I've lived here (Steamboat Springs), going on my 15th year. A solid 5 of those I had over 120 days on the hill. Yes, I was here for the 96/97 DUMP and got in 2/3 of the three epic weeks.
And you wonder why it's hard to get outta there........... :p

-S.S.-

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Hoping to ski for the first time ever thursday...I hope I enjoy it more than snowboarding...:) Figure I might as well give this snow thing a go.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Roasted said:
Hoping to ski for the first time ever thursday...I hope I enjoy it more than snowboarding...:) Figure I might as well give this snow thing a go.
Skiing is more difficult than snowboarding. With any athletic abilities, you can be a fairly accomplished snowboarder w/ one solid year of riding (obviously have to live at or near a ski area so you can go more than 7 days a year). It took me damn near 3 years just to learn how to ski bumps, then 3 more years learning how to carve a turn. I mean truely carve a turn where when you're coming out of it, you come out w/ sooo much more energy that when you "pop" at the end of the carve, you can get airborne and/or gain speed, and not skid thru the turn. Then I went back to the bumps and learn how to carve in the bumps which took another couple of years.
But w/ the new shaped skis, it's a LOT easier to carve the turn, altho most still don't do it right.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Pau11y said:
Skiing is more difficult than snowboarding. With any athletic abilities, you can be a fairly accomplished snowboarder w/ one solid year of riding (obviously have to live at or near a ski area so you can go more than 7 days a year). It took me damn near 3 years just to learn how to ski bumps, then 3 more years learning how to carve a turn. I mean truely carve a turn where when you're coming out of it, you come out w/ sooo much more energy that when you "pop" at the end of the carve, you can get airborne and/or gain speed, and not skid thru the turn. Then I went back to the bumps and learn how to carve in the bumps which took another couple of years.
But w/ the new shaped skis, it's a LOT easier to carve the turn, altho most still don't do it right.
Word, even though I'm a snowboarder my dad skis and watching him progress is really interesting but it seems that the learning curve isn't nearly as rapid as snowboarding. With snowboarding when you're learning at first its mostly just being able to use your edges and to use your hips to transfer edges and slide the rear end out to turn. That's pretty much all it takes to get down most groomers as well as skills with speed and different types of snow.

I've found this season and last season that just about THE most challenging thing I've ever done on a snowboard is doing moguls and it's damn fun. It's not like most snowboarders who kinda chop through them, I actually turn immediately after each one and work my way through them like an 'average' skier would. Obviously it's nice when the moguls aren't solid blocks of ice and perfect if they are shaped well without deep holes between them from sucky people. But I can easily spend an entire afternoon on a few bump runs and have a ton of fun seeing if i can successfully get through them. I can usually get through most bump runs at breck 85% of the time. :p

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
MY issue with snowboarding was you have two choices falling head or ass (and those are also your brakes when you haven't figured out how to stop yet). Beyond that, going down sideways sucked, I kept turning back up the mountain because I naturally wanted my shoulders to be square with the forward movement of the board. There wasn't much I liked about it. I am hoping going straight down might help.

If not...no winter sports for me. I don't much like the winter anyways, just trying to find something to accupy tme until my trails are open :)