Quantcast

I want a bike that can...

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
-Be a daily commuter
-Tow a kid-trailer
-Be happy on long rides in the mountains, that may include rough roads, steep climbs, fire roads, regular roads
-Be fine for regular road rides with roadies

I'm thinking of selling my Lemond Croix de Fer and my GT beater mountain bike commuter and buying a Surly Crosscheck with triple road rings. Anybody have any thoughts on this idea? Will I regret selling me 'real' road bike?

Anybody want to buy my like-new 61cm Lemond for $950?

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I regretted selling my 'real' roadie for a CX bike. Rode the CX bike for a year or so and had to buy another 'real' roadie for the group rides. The CX, though sweet, was just not up to the task of real organized road riding. Still have both and use them on different occasions.

ghostrider

Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
peter6061 said:
I regretted selling my 'real' roadie for a CX bike. Rode the CX bike for a year or so and had to buy another 'real' roadie for the group rides. The CX, though sweet, was just not up to the task of real organized road riding. Still have both and use them on different occasions.
What was lacking on the CX bike? Weight? Riding position?

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Depends what you used your road bike for (group rides, races, training...). I have been riding my cross bike on the road a lot lately because there is a bit of lava rock residue everywhere from snow melt. It is very comfortable, I could just use some better breaking.

ghostrider

Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Heidi said:
Depends what you used your road bike for (group rides, races, training...). I have been riding my cross bike on the road a lot lately because there is a bit of lava rock residue everywhere from snow melt. It is very comfortable, I could just use some better breaking.
I use mine for training, very occasional group rides, and just plain riding around.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I don't see why a cross bike wouldn't work then. Except like I said, the brakes are less functional.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
peter6061 said:
I'm curious what is the problem compared to road bikes. Weight? Handling?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
sanjuro said:
I'm curious what is the problem compared to road bikes. Weight? Handling?
geometry, hence comfort?

How about a nice steel touring bike with two sets of wheels -- cx and roadie?

The longer chain stays means less chance of hitting your heel on the panniers... and I'd think you'd want bag for commuting and family rides?

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I think coming from a road racing background, it was the angles and weight. I went from a Ti Eddy Merckx to a Bontrager CX. Both sweet frames, but very different. A year later I bought a Yeti road bike and kept the CX. I've raced both in their respective disciplines, and they both excel.

Now, with today's technology a high end cross bike could probably hold up fine in regular riding. I still maintain that the angles would probably hinder any real road racing or group training rides.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
My shop at the time was a Yeti dealer back in the late ninties. It's a '98 and I think they stopped 'selling' them in '99 or so. Still rides great though I don't ride it as much as I used to.

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
peter6061 said:
My shop at the time was a Yeti dealer back in the late ninties. It's a '98 and I think they stopped 'selling' them in '99 or so. Still rides great though I don't ride it as much as I used to.

Well if you are not riding the Yeti Road Project :wave: .Seriously i have been looking for one of those for awhile.Sweet bike.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
GravityFreakTJ said:
Well if you are not riding the Yeti Road Project :wave: .Seriously i have been looking for one of those for awhile.Sweet bike.
Well I've been going back and forth on that for a while. My only regret would be selling it and then wishing I hadn't. Something we all face when we sell a bike we love.

I'm going to hold on to it for a bit and see if I start riding it again this season. If it turns out I don't, I'll let you know. I think the last ride I did on it was a century back in October of '04. (What a waste of a sweet bike)

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Yeah, angles and weight may be different, but a CX bike is a good way to go if you're not racing. If you build it well, the weight gain will not be much. To increase usability, get a CX bike with a triple or compact cranks so you can tow that trailer and climb all the hills. And make sure any frame you get has the little things a road bike might have like water bottle mounts.

I got rid of my roadie in favor of a CX bike a while back and don't regret it. The CX is much better at rougher roads, dirt roads, winter riding etc. while not being much slower at all on the open road with the right tires on. I've done everything on it from the trails I ride my XC bike on to a full century.

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
peter6061 said:
Well I've been going back and forth on that for a while. My only regret would be selling it and then wishing I hadn't. Something we all face when we sell a bike we love.

I'm going to hold on to it for a bit and see if I start riding it again this season. If it turns out I don't, I'll let you know. I think the last ride I did on it was a century back in October of '04. (What a waste of a sweet bike)

I know how you feel.I could never imagine gettin rid of my Dean Ti. But out of curiosity what size is your Yeti?