Quantcast

I want a new fork,.....choices.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Either I am going to get a 831 or a Float 36RC2 I have had a couple 36 Floats in the past and like them, but I am really interested in the 831.

Droptopchevy

Monkey
Jan 1, 2009
Morrisville, PA
Either I am going to get a 831 or a Float 36RC2 I have had a couple 36 Floats in the past and like them, but I am really interested in the 831.
I work at a shop and this is my first hearing about an 831. I feel left in the dust. Sounds like a dope fork from what I have read in the past few minutes, but is it out yet? I don't remember seeing on the order sheet I had for Fox last week.:confused:

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I feel like people just but these forks because they are cool. You shouldn't need adjustment to ride dj's. Just preload. IMO get a coil sprung argyle and be done.
I run air in my Argyle. Honestly thats what I thought when I saw the 831. Why would you need all of that on a DJ fork. Congrats to Fox for making things more complicated than they need to be.... again.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Don't forget you'll probably need a new hub, or some kind of adapter. They 831 is 15mm, I believe.
I agree with the above sentiments, simple is better for DJ/Park.
Low travel, very stiff, slow rebound. Done.
Been running rigid for a while now, myself.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I've been riding fox forks for the last 7 years. I been beating the piss out of them and I'm not a small guy. All they've ever needed is routine maintenance and seals once a year.

I'll pay more for what my experience has shown to be a superior product. Not everyone shares that sentiment. Its all good. peace yo

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
a buddy has one and he loves it. he lowered it himself, works great. whatre people paying retail on these things?

edit. he might have a 36 vanilla not a float

Zenkis14

Monkey
Sep 20, 2009
A float is really easy to lower while a Vanilla is much more difficult.

I'd imagine he has a Float, but is it a 36 or 32?

I want a Float 36

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
i have an 09 Float 36rc2 i lowered it myself to 80mm on my Dobermann Le Pink and I love it. mostly street and some trail
on the other hand I have two 831's. One is on my 08 Transition double that is geard and 31lbs complete. Use it for xc, aggressive trail, light dh, ect. The adjustabilty on the 831 is great for this bike and riding style. I am really liking it. It saves about a pound over the 36 rc2
I also have an 09 Commencal Absolute 4x with an 831. it will be my xc,ds ht again the adjustability for that riding is great. So far 25lbs without pedals.
I feel this fork was aimed more at the 4x crowd.
Is it just a 15mm Float 32...NO. It is tuned for more agressive riding
keep in mind it comes set at 100mm comes with an extra 20mm spacer and the spacer inside can be removed. So travel on it is from 80mm to 120mm.

I agree that if you are just dj or street then the adjustments are not needed. Go for something less expensive but nothing will be as light. And people are not paying retail.

Last edited:

Droptopchevy

Monkey
Jan 1, 2009
Morrisville, PA
The only thing I don't like about the QR15 system is that is it easy to fudge up the threads on the skewer taking it out and putting it in. I have been riding a QR15 Talas for about a year now and that is the only complaint. Makes changing flats out on the trails a bit easier. I do not plan on paying $831 for this new fox fork, but I may wait for it to come one of my 2011 bike choices.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
A float is really easy to lower while a Vanilla is much more difficult.

I'd imagine he has a Float, but is it a 36 or 32?

I want a Float 36
Well its a 36 for sure, and oil. I thought that the float was air and the vanilla was oil, but I don't really know. I just ride the bikes

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
The only thing I don't like about the QR15 system is that is it easy to fudge up the threads on the skewer taking it out and putting it in. I have been riding a QR15 Talas for about a year now and that is the only complaint. Makes changing flats out on the trails a bit easier. I do not plan on paying $831 for this new fox fork, but I may wait for it to come one of my 2011 bike choices.
look around they are not that expensive.

Also the axle is the same basic design as the Marzochi 66, RS Pike and I have never had a problem with either.

Droptopchevy

Monkey
Jan 1, 2009
Morrisville, PA
I work at a shop and this is my first hearing about an 831. I feel left in the dust. Sounds like a dope fork from what I have read in the past few minutes, but is it out yet? I don't remember seeing on the order sheet I had for Fox last week.:confused:
look around they are not that expensive.

Also the axle is the same basic design as the Marzochi 66, RS Pike and I have never had a problem with either.
Hence why I would never pay $831 for the fork. :weee: Had an older domain with the same style skewer as a QR15 and never managed to fudge it up, but the skewer with the Fox was softer and easy to mess up. Its all about saving weight on Fox's end.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Hence why I would never pay $831 for the fork. :weee: Had an older domain with the same style skewer as a QR15 and never managed to fudge it up, but the skewer with the Fox was softer and easy to mess up. Its all about saving weight on Fox's end.
I have 2 831s and an F120. I have no issues with the axles

godfather

Chimp
Jul 2, 2009
I've been running a TALAS qr15 for a year now with no issues at all, and my front wheel comes off everytime I throw it in the rack to go for a ride. About 1,000 miles this summer riding three to five days a week and no problems with the qr15 axle.

crohnsy

Monkey
Oct 2, 2009
T Bay
yeah not sure how you fudge up threads on the axle, no issues with my F120....

Interesting that you say Fox uses soft metal...........:rofl:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
... the axle is the same basic design as the Marzochi 66, RS Pike and I have never had a problem with either.
The RS Maxle axles prevent you from fudging them by decoupling the QR lever from the main axle body. You can't overtighten them. Once the right torque has been achieved, the QR lever would spin almost freely. The Fox axles are different. They screw into a fixed bolt in the right leg. You can change the point at where the axle is completely screwed in, so the QR lever doesn't intefere with the disk brake/fork leg/etc.

Personally, I really don't like the system. Even when it's simple, seems poorly designed/manufactured to me. And why the hell did they put the QR lever on the left leg???

IMHO the 831 is WAY overpriced. WTF, guys? DJing used to be cheap!

And talking about fork tuning for DJ/Parks, I never get tired of saying I love my Argyle 318. Lowered it to 80mm, stuck a couple of spacers to preload it a bit more, slowed the rebound, and closed the MoCo. I think I never touched any of the parameters again.

Last edited:

NSBikesRider

Chimp
Mar 3, 2010
Nottingham
the real funny thing is that your going for a fox fork, which is overly complicated/priced, yet your signature is about riding a simble bike... i bought a DJ2 fork for my chucker, when the RST's snapped in 2, and i found them to be a pain in the ass to set up, all the flapping arount... go ridgid, its the best goddamn expierience of your life, especially when your landing a 10 set and you think OH SH!T, wooow they are well tuffezz i wil have to buyzz myslef some more of tehzz rigdizzzz XD