Quantcast

I want a new guitar.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Not a guitar, but I've been thinking about picking up an electronic drum kit for awhile. I've played drums off and on for most of my life, but haven't had a kit in quite a few years now. I miss the cathartic release that playing can provide, but I don't hate my neighbors enough to subject them to the noise of an acoustic kit. End coolstorybro.
Do it. The current electronic sets are pretty impressive. Would really like to have one as well but I've decided on playing the bass as the current musical time suck.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Frets are good, tons of life left. Consistent at least. Small to what I'm used to. Action is like warm butter.
Electronics are fine? I'm used to hotter pickups but everything works. No scratchy pots, no noise. Very nice for a 36 year old guitar.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Ha ha, ‘87 = new. I enjoy that most of mine are now around 25 years old. Approaching “vintage”.
This is one thing I appreciate about guitars. And speaking of fret life, my Jackson is going to new need frets next time they need work. When the original set was leveled, they must be half as tall now. Too many E pentatonic solos…

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Back to @Nick ’s new guitar. That thing looks really nice. I had a friend back in the day with a black LP Custom, they are definitely the tuxedo of guitars. It should complement your shred machines nicely.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I wandered into a GC tonight. After almost a month of basically not touching a guitar, I can say I felt like Mandown, “not much of a guitar player anymore”.
It’s funny, I am learning a shitload about music and the fretboard, but unless you play every day, it’s pretty sad.
Got work to do!

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I wandered into a GC tonight. After almost a month of basically not touching a guitar, I can say I felt like Mandown, “not much of a guitar player anymore”.
It’s funny, I am learning a shitload about music and the fretboard, but unless you play every day, it’s pretty sad.
Got work to do!
It’s a double edged sword (no edging jokes, I promise). It’s easy to get caught up in the muscle training when you practice playing, but you can get off track on the theory side of things. Book learning theory is great but you gotta apply it to muscle movements at some point unless you’re strictly a composer. Finding the balance is tricky when you’ve only got so many hours in the day.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
To say what I am learning is ‘theory’ is a bit of an aggrandizement. Really it’s just learning all of the notes that I am playing by understanding their relationship to all of the other notes, and playing ‘mindfully’ of where I am, as opposed to decades of playing the same pentatonic figures. It’s so simple, yet so hard to keep track of while actually playing.
Yes, it’s just A-G, repeated over and over, but how in the fuck can an F# also be a Gminor, at the same time?
You know, 101 stuff. (That I forgot 40 years ago)
But then extrapolating that into triads, complete chords, notes, thirds, fifths, sevenths, etc, as well as ‘math’.
@SkaredShtles said there would be no math.
he lied!

Everyone now, please clap on the seventh and the eleventh measure!
Con Gusto!

Last edited: