Quantcast

I want a new guitar.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Something like a full sized hollow body electric, like a Gretsch Country Gentleman, Or maybe this Ibanez.
i don’t want a Bigsby, though. Never had one that stayed in tune for shit.

Thoughts?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i want a thurston moore/lee renaldo signature fender....not that you can find them....

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I wanted to try a hollow body as well, and got a low/mid-range Ibanez several years back from CL for cheap. Only put Gotoh locking tuners and new strings every once in a while, but I like it. You're clearly looking for upper-mid/high end though.

Pat Metheny signature series for something new? Always been a fan of Ibanez guitars.
IMG_20201122_194301726_resize_75.jpg

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Hollow body electric. I’m not smart enough to replicate the fiddly bits in standard position...
(kidding, sorta)

But CJ, that is certainly along the lines of what I am looking for.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Have you considered any of the Reverend models? They seem to be a company melding modern and vintage.
Maybe something like...

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Have you considered any of the Reverend models? They seem to be a company melding modern and vintage.
Maybe something like...
Those look nice. But I am looking for something more jazzy/woody.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
You just landed a new executive gig :fancy:

Splurge on a Gibson ES.

( That PRS is gorgeous, and arguably more versatile than a true jazz hollow body)
This.

The Ibanez above was the "cheap, hope I like it" version of the ES-335 I'd REALLY want.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Though I now survive on a steady diet of Norwegian church burning death metal and Kpop, growing up and learning to play I was a Wes Montgomery fan, if you really wanna hear great clean tone listen to his old records. I wish there were more live recordings of him out there.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Though I now survive on a steady diet of Norwegian church burning death metal and Kpop, growing up and learning to play I was a Wes Montgomery fan, if you really wanna hear great clean tone listen to his old records. I wish there were more live recordings of him out there.
Yeah, I had Wes tapes on rotation since I was 14. My first guitar teacher was an old jazz musician, he had to be at least 80 in 1981.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
1606101595537.png

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Saw a story that Fender was possibly looking at bankruptcy this year and it turned out to be a record year instead.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Yeah, I had Wes tapes on rotation since I was 14. My first guitar teacher was an old jazz musician, he had to be at least 80 in 1981.
highschool friend of forever teaches guitar....favorites being kotke metheny zappa angus young....starts talking guitar to me....brain is not having it...

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I sold both my left handed Tely and my Fender twin. The Yamaha Acoustic is not so much fun. I need new strings and a 9 volt battery... Regerts.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
@rideit I didn’t realize you play guitar. Next time we suffer up Mt Anterrible, we’ll have to nerd out.

+1 for what @Nick said, splurge on the good stuff. Good guitars never go out of style. I splurged 20 years ago when I worked at MARS, and still have the same fleet of top notch guitars.

A hollow body electric is one of the few types of guitars I don’t own, but if I was looking for one, I would definitely check out a Gibson and Taylor has a very intriguing model. Based on how great my Taylor acoustic is, their hollow body seems like something that likely plays great, sounds great unplugged, and plugged in.

Also, once you get something, pics or stfu

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Haha, I had my telecaster and an amp on that trip, but it never felt like the right time to bust it out.
Next time.
Just starting my searching around for the next one. I still have my first ever ‘real’ guitar (a Westbury Custom from 1980).
pics soon.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
TBH, I have a limited repertoire, but I can jam the shit out of an E major shuffle I have been working on in my bedroom for twenty years. Got any good chord progressions I could work on until we can tear the Crest a few new assholes next year?

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I’m an engineer, not a real musician, so I have always been terrible at jamming. :) I stick to playing covers, preferably old metal. But, I’m definitely down to learn something new to play after a day of rock smashing on the Crest.
Any ideas for something good to play unplugged?

Also, the PRS link above....gotdamn!!

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I just bought a used acoustic. Simon and Patrick of some kind. Sounds good.

I’m starting to get good at Kodachrome. Except the fast part at the end...

Next stop: free bird!