Quantcast

I want a review of Avalanche DHF fork

Avy Rider

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Muskoka,Canada
Hey all,I just bought a pair of Avalanche DHF forks and I really want to hear as much feedack from owners as I can get.

I haven't ridden them yet and I'm so stoked to rip once the weather warms up enough.

I also have an Avalanche DHS 9"x3" rear shock on my Custom painted ,black 2001 Big Hit .The linkage is designed by Dan Stapleton in B.C. Canada and gives the bike 9" of rear travel.

Avy Rider

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Muskoka,Canada
Oh,I know the forks will be unreal...I just want to hear from current or previous owners to see what they have to say.

My other forks are Stratos S-8 and I was surprised by their performance over the last 2 years.

As I already have enjoyed the rear Avalanche shock,I knew that the forks would likely blow all others away,at least for freerideing and fun DHing.I don't race...it's not my thing.

I saw pics of Ian Collin's Turner with Avvy front & rear...I almost bought a 2001 Turner DHR from my buddy Gary B. but at the last minute decided to keep my Big Hit which I had just gotten painted.

Actually,I will have a set of newer linkage plates from Dan which will give slacker geomety,more sag and around 9.5" of rear travel.
Can't wait till that comes in!

By the way...how DO I post a pic here? Does the picture need to already be on ther web some place or can I just post one from my documents?

Avy Rider

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Muskoka,Canada
Thanks dude...let's see if mtbkanata allows remote linking.I'm not sure.

So,once again...I'd love to hear from any and all Avalanche DHF fork owners.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
i have a Karpial Disco with Avy front and rear for about 3months. then it got stolen. but i can tell you ever since i decided not to go that extreme again, i'm back at it. selling my Giant DH and probaly going to something big agian. cept i want the DHF-8-Ti. THEY ARE THE BEST FORKS ON THE PLANET. i could do anything, even totally clear a stair gap, had too much speed. watch my tires bottom out and my rims touch the ground, but the landing felt perfectly fine with Avalanche.

HTFR

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Chelsea, Quebek
hey mike.
I'll give you 300 for your S8.

You new ride will be fun for sure. hope to do some more rideing with you this summer,

p,s, I knoiw you don't know who I am!!!

Avy Rider

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Muskoka,Canada
The S-8 will be selling for $1000 dude.

Hope you were kidding about the $300 !!!

I've finally gotten the bike finished...Holy Hell!!!

The rear suspension is insanely plush!

I got a new linkage designed by Dan Stapleton in B.C.
The linkage now gives me perfect DH geometry and 9.5" of ultra smooth rear travel.

And so far,the Avalanche DHF forks are exactly like I imagined...smooth as a baby's @ss and NO fear of bottoming out!!!

I'll post pics soon, and thanks for the comments folks.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
Originally posted by Avy Rider

I hope your kidding about getting $1000 for a 2 year old S-8;)
Good luck:thumb:

It's sometimes easier to post pics if you save the image to your HD, and post from there. Just make sure they're less than 800x600 and less than 102k. It can be frustrating, believe me. Go ahead and try on this thread, you'll get it. If you mess up, you can edit your post or delete it.

Welcome to RM:thumb:

Feb 3, 2002
mile high

Hope you were kidding about the $300 !!!
1000 holy smokes, good luck with that , ahahahaha.

(i think he meant 300 us which is about right for that fork,
approx 10 million of your canadien dollars)

HTFR

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Chelsea, Quebek
Originally posted by streetweapon_dh
1000 holy smokes, good luck with that , ahahahaha.

(i think he meant 300 us which is about right for that fork,
approx 10 million of your canadien dollars)
hahaha no, 300 cnd, I'm not saying he should sell it for that but it was worth a shot. ok 400?:rolleyes:

that DHF...
sweet jesus

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Let's hope this pic is small enough that I can post it...

It's me putting my Avalanche front and rear suspension to the test!!!
Avy Rider...

How much did the rear shock set you back (with shipping and everything) in our Canadian pesos? What about the fork?

I'm either going for the Fox DH for Any DHS and then next season, 2004, put a new DH fork on...hopefully the DHF 8".

foesrider

Chimp
Aug 30, 2002
north east mass.
I have a DHF-8 I purchased last July and it works flawlessly once you have it dialed in it works fantastic.It's very stiff ,has awesome progression and is super adjustable I think it will take many years of abuse
I also have a MTN-3 rear shock that I feel I pretty much indestructible
I mean what else is there to say. you get what you pay for.and Craig from avy is the man. when it comes to setting you up I have never talked to a more knowledgeable person about suspension. he is very straight forward and tells you how it is. no b.s.
I own 2 shocks and my fork and don't think I'll use anything else. it's just a matter of saving up your money and making the investment

Avy Rider

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Muskoka,Canada
Damn...and I thought MY bike was nice...that's one sweet machine dude!

Avalanche outperforms anything else out there in my humble opinion.

And yes,Craig Seekins knows his stuff...after tweeking the settings for a while,the bike feels the best when set up the way he shipped it.

By the way,how do you like those bars? I believe they are Eastons right? What is the specific model...I may have to get those for my beast.Are they strong enough for bigger hucks and stair drops? Thanks!

foesrider

Chimp
Aug 30, 2002
north east mass.
thanks man .the bike is a lot of fun to ride.and don't fool yourself your bike is sweet! that thing has huck me written all over it.

yes those are easton bars EA-70 2.5 rise I like them because they come with a 5 year warranty (that's a longer warranty than most) I like the rise and the sweep and they are very wide 27"

Avy Rider

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Muskoka,Canada
Thanks for the quick reply...I do believe those will be on my bike very soon.

How are you liking your DHF's?
I think that the fork guards should wrap around a bit more to protect better.I installed some Lizard Skin inverted fork boots too so it doesn't worry me as much.

I love how progressive they are...mine are super plush over the small stuff but easilly suck up the biggest drops I am brave (stupid?) enough to attempt!

I'm getting my third set of linkage plates custom built for me...the 9" ones are incredible for hucking and the 9.5" ones were a bit too plush.Now Dan(Stapleton) is making me another set that will keep the travel basically around 9" but will have slacker geometry for Downhilling.

It's cool having someone who can cater to your every whim!
...The quest for perfection continues!!!