Quantcast

I want an Evil hardtail

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
why yes.... in the near future you will not be able to use such a blanket term as 'evil hardtail'- youll have to SPECIFYYYYY

kyle the sovereign looks super fun built up like that! I think youve inspired me to go toss a new tube in the back of the blue one and just go ride around the woods with the fork stuck at 5".:dancing:

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Originally posted by Pip3r
why yes.... in the near future you will not be able to use such a blanket term as 'evil hardtail'- youll have to SPECIFYYYYY

kyle the sovereign looks super fun built up like that! I think youve inspired me to go toss a new tube in the back of the blue one and just go ride around the woods with the fork stuck at 5".:dancing:
I would, so far i'm really liking the more trail oriented geometry, I'm running my Fox at 5" and it feels great to me.

edit:

It is for now until I can get my own, I'm suppose to let Heiki ride it some time, but he's gonna have to pry it out of my cold dead hands, LOL. I love my Imperial but this fits me much better, and suits my riding style better.

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
Originally posted by ssaddict
I'm suppose to let Heiki ride it some time, but he's gonna have to pry it out of my cold dead hands
:( I cant wait to get on that thing with it set up alittle bit like that. I had so much fun on it out at sea otter just in the parking lots and stuff.

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Originally posted by Acadian

(my riding style)

I have an XC background, never raced BMX, this is more of a trail bike than a dirt jump/dh hardtail. Lighter with alot more natural flex in the steel, much easier dropouts to run any gear SS and still play with geometry.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by Acadian

ditto

Hey Kyle, have you (or anyone else reading this with an imperial) ever set that frame up with 24" wheels? I know that frame has kind of a high BB and was thinking it would be a good one to use. I rode a Kona with 24" wheels on the DJs at Boulder City (brother Jed's bike) and really liked how it felt.

Numbers/opinions anyone?

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Originally posted by kidwoo
ditto

Hey Kyle, have you (or anyone else reading this with an imperial) ever set that frame up with 24" wheels? I know that frame has kind of a high BB and was thinking it would be a good one to use. I rode a Kona with 24" wheels on the DJs at Boulder City (brother Jed's bike) and really liked how it felt.

Numbers/opinions anyone?
My BB is about 12" with a 24" rear, 26" front, 4" fork, 2.5" tires. With 2 26's the BB is noticeably higher but the current setup, it's nice and low....

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
ditto

Numbers/opinions anyone?
A few of our street team members run 24" in the rear, but personally I never have. The BB really isn't that high if you run a 5" fork or less, and the center of gravity is so low that it feels really stable (and this is from someone who sucks at jumping). If you were just jumping it, 24's might feel more comfortable, expecially if you ride 20".

With 2.2" tires a 125RLC Fox, my BB was under 12.5"

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by Dߒ
My BB is about 12" with a 24" rear, 26" front, 4" fork, 2.5" tires. With 2 26's the BB is noticeably higher but the current setup, it's nice and low....

Wow, thanks. That's actually lower than I thought it would be. It sounds like two 24" wheels with a 3" fork and 175 cranks might be a problem. My dually jump bike now has a 12" BB and the longer cranks get a little close to the ground pedaling around corners. I guess I could live with 170s.

Thanks for the info.

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Wow, thanks. That's actually lower than I thought it would be. It sounds like two 24" wheels with a 3" fork and 175 cranks might be a problem. My dually jump bike now has a 12" BB and the longer cranks get a little close to the ground pedaling around corners. I guess I could live with 170s.

Thanks for the info.
Check this old thread out, photos of Imperials with different forks

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75701

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
A few of our street team members run 24" in the rear, but personally I never have. The BB really isn't that high if you run a 5" fork or less, and the center of gravity is so low that it feels really stable (and this is from someone who sucks at jumping). If you were just jumping it, 24's might feel more comfortable, expecially if you ride 20".

With 2.2" tires a 125RLC Fox, by BB was under 12.5"
Cool, thanks for the info.

Brad23

Monkey
Jan 9, 2004
West Oakland
Hey Kyle,

I met you briefly late Sunday at SO.
I didn't know you're a monkey.
Thanks for the time.

I'm curious about the Sovereign in a 24/24 setup.
Are you running 26's on it now?

Cheers, Brad

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Originally posted by Brad23
Hey Kyle,

I met you briefly late Sunday at SO.
I didn't know you're a monkey.
Thanks for the time.

I'm curious about the Sovereign in a 24/24 setup.
Are you running 26's on it now?

Cheers, Brad
I personally will probably not ever run 24's cause I do more trail riding than street and jumping, but I'll bet Donahue will set his up that way, or at least a 24 rear.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I personally will probably not ever run 24's cause I do more trail riding than street and jumping, but I'll bet Donahue will set his up that way, or at least a 24 rear.
I on the other hand am expanding my quiver........ah yes my children.........soon another to keep you company...................I adore each and every one...................

I'm also trying to get more speed at a place with 20-30 foot doubles that has claimed 2 rims in two visits.:D

so yeah what do you want for that thing?;)

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
the sovereign is so nimble already im not sure how great it would be with 24's. But the good thing is is that there will be a seperate dropout made for it so it wont change the geometry anyways! I liked it as was with the 26, maybe a bit slacker head angle for the burly stuff.
Im pretty sure donahue is actually running 26's as well as gears and a front brake this year.

the imperial with dual 24's and a 4" fork with a normal headset has a BB of 11.4 and a HA of 70. Throw in an e13 reducer cup if you want it even more nimble and that will get you a 11.2 BB and 70.6 HA

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i had my Imperial setup with 24s (2.35 Arrow Launches) with a 4" fork and like it a lot more than with the 26s (2.5 HighRoller F...2.4 MotoRaptor R) that are on it now, also with 4". i'll be going back to 24s after this weekend.

oh, and i'm also running the e13 reducer cups.

i prefer it to feel more nimble. i don't do trail rides on it 'cause i'm too tall, and i don't dh.

--edit--

i just wish i could get those freakin' drop-outs.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
There was a Polish company making Evil Imperial copies so some may be floating around. They were called Duncon Cock and Duncon Cocker (Polish people...)

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Yeah, they were pretty popular here in Argentina. You used to see them fitted with single crown Manitou Shermans/Travis, or Marzocchi 66s.
Yeah they had a strong distro in Argentina. I did a small translating gig for the back in the day. Still have their DJ frame.