I want this bike. Badly.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Holysh!tomgsomeonefinallymadeabikeforcrushinginacity

http://www.chargebikes.com/projects/project/files/Mixer/

WANT.

8 speed internally geared hub (with a trigger, none of that gripshifter sh!t). Shimano hydro discs. Bombproof tires/wheels. And it looks the business (something others have utterly failed at).

I'd always brushed off Charge as making crappy fixies for hipsters, but hotdamn! If I ever work as a messenger in a large city again, this would be number one on my list of bikes to buy.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
problem with kind of bike is the parts: low grade discs, the 8 speed hub from a cruiser.

I would go with Avid Mechanicals and a Rohloff.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
problem with kind of bike is the parts: low grade discs, the 8 speed hub from a cruiser.

I would go with Avid Mechanicals and a Rohloff.
The Alfine, from what I've read, is quite burly. A Rohly alone costs more than the MSRP on this bike, and has way too many gears to be comfortable for city riding. I wouldn't want to lock up a bike with a $1400 rear hub outside an office building for any stretch of time in almost any city.

Can't comment on the brakes...look like just OEM Shimano Deore-level discs (which have always had a reputation for being solid).

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The Alfine, from what I've read, is quite burly. A Rohly alone costs more than the MSRP on this bike, and has way too many gears to be comfortable for city riding. I wouldn't want to lock up a bike with a $1400 rear hub outside an office building for any stretch of time in almost any city.

Can't comment on the brakes...look like just OEM Shimano Deore-level discs (which have always had a reputation for being solid).
That's a good question about the Alfine.

If I was dead serious about a hardcore commuter, then I would probably be averaging 20 miles on my ride. Otherwise, I could ride any piece of crap.

So I don't know if the Alfine could hold up over a year. Maybe.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
That's a good question about the Alfine.

If I was dead serious about a hardcore commuter, then I would probably be averaging 20 miles on my ride. Otherwise, I could ride any piece of crap.

So I don't know if the Alfine could hold up over a year. Maybe.
Buy me one and I'll tell you...I have a habit of eating parts for breakfast.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Ridethis has it listed at $1250 :rolleyes:
Good, 'cause I just ordered a cheap commuter and if this was close (its not), I would have regretted it.

I dig the internally geared hubs, I had a GT iT1 for a bit and it was sweet. Bit of a pain to set up, but once it is, its pretty bombproof. The Alfine is supposed to be even better.

Those disc brakes would be fine on the road.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
I was rolling eyes at ridethis not the bike.
I have no idea of the prices of things in America nor do I have any clue about Ridethis or this kind of bicycle but I do have a fair idea of what is a good or not so good mtb so was just wondering about a comparison. My initial thought was that $1250 is going to get you something fairly decent these days.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I have no idea of the prices of things in America nor do I have any clue about Ridethis or this kind of bicycle but I do have a fair idea of what is a good or not so good mtb so was just wondering about a comparison. My initial thought was that $1250 is going to get you something fairly decent these days.
$1250 would get you something decent here if you shopped around.

Personally though...I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a commuter/city bike. Only because its going to get trashed and possibly stolen in my area.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
That thing is pretty killer.

I would put some drop bars on it and be very happy.

It is a little rich for my blood, but I have always wanted a road or cross bike with disk brakes. I bend wheels way to easily.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
That thing is pretty killer.

I would put some drop bars on it and be very happy.

It is a little rich for my blood, but I have always wanted a road or cross bike with disk brakes. I bend wheels way to easily.
I had a Kona Sutra with Mavic Speedcity wheels, Dura Ace Drivetrain and Avid discs. Awesome bike, I wish I still had it (it died when I got hit by a truck).

Monkey
I wouldn't want to lock up a bike with a $1400 rear hub outside an office building for any stretch of time in almost any city.
yet you have no problem riding a 1250 dollar bike to work and lock it up outside? You do realize that in Santa Cruz there are tons of thieves rolling in trucks carrying nitrogen bottles and hammers, right?

BTW What exactly is your commute route? gears in general are overkill for Santa Cruz unless you live in the hills.

Last edited:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
yet you have no problem riding a 1250 dollar bike to work and lock it up outside? You do realize that in Santa Cruz there are tons of thieves rolling in trucks carrying nitrogen bottles and hammers, right?

BTW What exactly is your commute route? gears in general are overkill for Santa Cruz unless you live in the hills.
Commute route? I'm a messenger...I ride everywhere.

You'd be correct about the gears, though. I can get away with my 53T front mated to a 7 speed 11-25T in the back without issue (but I'm a bit of a freak in the wattage output department). Biggest sustained climb is probably the one out of Wats on Freedom (or UCSC if you want to get picky, but that's quick), and even then they're both pretty mellow. I have done a delivery up Empire Grade, but that was my own choosing.

I often roll into the hills for sketchy services, but for the most part residences aren't on long, sustained grades.

On that note, I'm finally building up my new roadie at the end of the week...mmmm 10 speed goodness.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Thats the perfect bar bike. There is no designated driver.
No, this is the perfect bar bike.

I just want one because you can carry so much crap on it. I had a workstand, a wheelset, and some other miscellaneous crap on it. My boss, who I borrowed it from, has carried multiple bike boxes on it.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
More want.

From pressportal.com
Charge bikes are gaining traction in Australia, more and more commuters and couriers yearn to ride in style on a reliable frame and wheels so it’s no wonder this new brand of bike is becoming more popular.

The Charge Mixer 700C is the apex for street bike cred, think of it like a car from the 70’s fitted with the latest technology. Style, exuberance, reflex; this nimble handling bike responds like the best of them.

The Tange frame is tough, not the lightest tubing but certainly tough, once these wheels are spinning on a flat surface or downhill, there isn’t anything slowing it down. The rigid frame allows for quick turning and maneuverability through bumper to bumper inner-city traffic.

One of my favorite attributes of the Charge Mixer is the Alfine internal hub gearing system, we tested the Alfine earlier on a Ducati (push bike of course) and still remain impressed. The internal hub gearing allows for seamless confident gear changing so when your off the saddle you don’t worry about slipping on the cross tube. Because of the internal hub it has the look and sound of a single spinner, with no gears crunching or building up of dirt and grime as the gears are concealed.

It’s the subtle features that make this bike even more special, the signage is minimalistic with ‘Charge’ stamped on the headstem and Mixer just above the crank. They’ve even stamped ‘a bicycle company’ on the rear stays just in case you didn’t know it was a pushie.

After riding for about 10kms and becoming familiar with the geometry and the setup, one word really comes to mind, no its not ‘bloody unreal’ that’s two words, its ‘Quality’. This bike is fit with quality components; from the slightly narrow OEM Charge flat handle bar with comfortable Plunger MTB grips to the Continental Sport contact tyres, they’re extremely grippy in the dry but don’t show a lot of give for the wet with the lack of a decent tread pattern. They’re 700c in size so perfect for both the short commute and long distance ride.

The saddle becomes a real feature on this understated frame, and because the frame is quite large (a homage to the trends of past) the seat post doesn’t need to be raised as much adding to its ‘cool’ appeal. The saddle is also Charge branded, it’s called the ‘Spoon’ - leather stitched, perforated and padded enough to not have to wear the knicks underneath those skinny black jeans.

After a few weeks of riding in a mixture of different conditions; by the way watch the tram tracks of Melbourne, we were all extremely impressed. The weight of the frame is on the heavy side but hey, it only makes you stronger, and the hydraulic disc brakes will pull up no matter how fast you’re traveling. The rapidfire shift levers proved effortlessly perfect for shifting which is sometimes not the case with this technology.

Overall, a trendy bike that won’t disappoint, will definitely raise an eyebrow or two in traffic and perfect for someone who’s after a bike in between a mountain bike and a road bike who wants to ride in style.

4 stars out of 5
http://www.pressportal.com.au/news/1100/ARTICLE/5131/2009-09-01.html

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Thats the perfect bar bike. There is no designated driver.
You can still get a DUI on a bike. In most states, the BAC level (for a DUI) is the same for motor vehicles as it is for bikes. Granted, its a lot harder to get pulled over on a bike on suspicion of intoxication.