Quantcast

I want to buy some American-made shoes:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Is this possible without spending well over $100 for some basic tennis shoes? I was looking at New Balance's site for the US made ones, and it's just outrageous.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Yeah, very few are made in the US and the ones that are, are through the roof.

Plus, I just wrecked a pair of NBs in about two months so Im hesitant to purchase them again.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Is everything on that site made in the states or something? Some nice shoes there, but I dont know where they came from.
They're definitely not US-only offerings on STP. And if you go to the description of an item it will tell you where it was made:

Vasque Endorphin Trail Running Shoes
(For Women)
$49.45 $90.00 Save 45% Item #96482

# Closeouts. Just like their namesake, Vasque's Endorphin trail running shoes are sure to give your feet a boost of happiness. Lightweight shoes are equipped with a tri-density midsole and thermoplastic urethane plate for stability and motion control, while breathable AirMesh nylon uppers keep your hard-working feet cool and comfortable, mile after mile. Padded collar and tongue
# Cushioned footbed
# Arch support
# Rugged traction sole
# Weight: 1 lb. 8 oz. pr.
# Medium width
# Closeouts. China.
# See our Running Shoe Fit Guide

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Isn't China part of America?

We make everything there so we don't mess up our own continent any more than we already have!

SteveW... crocs are made in China too?

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Try finding shoes that have good arch support. Most of them have flat arches and are made in China. I think the Chinese want us to have flat feet so we can't run when they invade us.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My tire sandals are made in the US. The guys making them were from Guatemala. They made mine in like 10 minutes. Still going strong after 15 or so years.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Why not make your own? Take a pair of shoes you have that you really liked but are now worn out, completely disassemble them and use the individual pieces as patterns for a new pair. You can buy all sorts of leather, cordura, wicking fabrics, etc. in the hobby/craft area of egay and places like Tandy have all the leather-joining tools and materials. New soles could be sewn on from any ugly closeout doner pair whose treads you liked. It probably sounds like I'm joking, but truly I'm not. I have made all sorts of stuff with hides of sharks, stingrays, kangaroo, cow leather...you name it. I've never made shoes before, personally, but I've seen it done and it doesn't look too difficult.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
So just to sum it up, American shoes are;
- hideously expensive
- poorly made
- not made in America anyway
Sh*t Shirl just support child slavery, you know you want to.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Hey BS..my wife is kind of in the same situation being Vegan and all...she will not buy any shoes from overseas because of labor conditions...and they also have to be leather free...the only shoes we found to fit here needs were New Balance...they are a bit expensive but we just cut back on other things. Her shoes last about a year but she's not very rough on them. Hope you find something that will work for you...D

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
fluevog shoes seem to be decently humane in their business practice (though only the high zoot models are made locally). they've even got a few vegan models. i've got a couple pairs. comfy (the angelic soles are amazing; satan resistant to boot), durable & stylie.

http://www.fluevog.com/files_2/about.html#j

A true Vancouverite.... I am not sure many people know what Fleuvog is outside of the cities in which they have stores...even then they are not really a 'mass market' shoe.

The angle soles are awesome for sure in the comfort department..although sometimes the grip take some getting used to.