I want to crock a soup this weekend

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
narlus said:
:stupid:

make some corn chowder. i can PM you the recipe i've got at home
Yeah, PM me the recipe. Even if I don't make it this weekend, it'll be along winter and many soups will be crocked.

BTW people, open a crock pot recipe book and you'll see plenty of soup recipes. :blah:

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Tenchiro said:
Beer & Cheddar soup has been sounding tasty lately.
One of my favorites :thumb:

New England Cheddar Ale Soup

¼ cup butter
½ cup minced onion
1/3 cup grated carrots
¼ cup flour
½ teaspoon dry mustard
½ teaspoon paprika
½ pound grated cheddar cheese (2 cups)
3 cans Chicken or Vegetable Broth
1¼ cups Half and Half
12 oz ale (I've been using Rogue Dead Guy)

Directions
Melt butter in a large, heavy saucepan. Add onion and carrot, cover and cook over low heat about 5 minutes.
Blend in flour, mustard, and paprika. Stir in cheese and 1 can of chicken broth until cheese is melted.
Add remaining ingredients; simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Makes 7 cups
Tip: Garnish bowls of soup with minced chives or chopped parsley.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
BikeGeek said:
One of my favorites :thumb:

New England Cheddar Ale Soup

¼ cup butter
½ cup minced onion
1/3 cup grated carrots
¼ flour
½ teaspoon dry mustard
½ teaspoon paprika
½ pound grated cheddar cheese (2 cups)
3 cans Chicken or Vegetable Broth
1¼ cups Half and Half
12 oz brown ale

Directions
Melt butter in a large, heavy saucepan. Add onion and carrot, cover and cook over low heat about 5 minutes.
Blend in flour, mustard, and paprika. Stir in cheese and 1 can of chicken broth until cheese is melted.
Add remaining ingredients; simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Makes 7 cups
Tip: Garnish bowls of soup with minced chives or chopped parsley.

What's the recommended Brown Ale for this recipe?? Brooklyn?? Newcastle? Alternatives??:drool:

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
MMcG said:
What's the recommended Brown Ale for this recipe?? Brooklyn?? Newcastle? Alternatives??:drool:
So far I've made it with Pete's Wicked, Newcastle, and Brooklyn and it turned out great each time. I think the only reason the recipe states "brown ale" is to keep people from dumping a can of Bud in.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I really like carrot-ginger soup this time of year. Roughly chop a pile of carrots and a couple onions and/or leeks, saute in butter or oil until getting soft and just a little color. Throw in some chopped ginger, maybe a little garlic, then cover with veg stock. Simmer until everything is basically mushy, then puree in a blender. Put it back on the stove, reheat, and finish with some half and half or cream and slivers of fresh ginger, maybe some cilantro if you've got it, S&P to taste. If it's too thick you can thin it out with more veg stock or cream. Same idea works great for squash too. :thumb:

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
at my work we have this super good jalapino soup... and i can eat as much as i want for free... perhaps i can get a recipe tommorrow when i work, if your interested. if not, corn chowder, or potato soup with bacon.