Quantcast

I want to drain this and ride around in it

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
66 million gallons of water? I wonder how they filled it up?

edit...Chile's monster pool uses a computer- controlled suction and filtration system to keep fresh seawater in permanent circulation, drawing it in from the ocean at one end and pumping it out at the other.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
It'd be cool to wakeboard in that, until I fall.
If they don't have motorized and automated tow lines, then they failed.

Quiet Waters Park in South Florida has a great ski lake with tow lines, so it can't be that hard to do.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
What a tremendous waste of resources.
That's what I thought at first too. But by pumping a continuous flow of native water with the only purpose seemingly being to warm it, the only consumption is the heat........which probably already occurs to some degree just by being in a shallower container with a reflective bottom.

They surely could have done it in a more lavish way. It probably needs very little, if any treatment.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That's what I thought at first too. But by pumping a continuous flow of native water with the only purpose seemingly being to warm it, the only consumption is the heat........which probably already occurs to some degree just by being in a shallower container with a reflective bottom.

They surely could have done it in a more lavish way. It probably needs very little, if any treatment.
This one took five years to build, cost nearly £1billion and the annual maintenance bill will be £2million.
Those not familiar with the monopoly dollar we use that is over 4 million dollars a year to maintain. They are doing something to it and something tells me pool boys in Chile come pretty cheap.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
The heating is all done by the sun.

The sun warms the water to 26c, nine degrees warmer than the adjoining sea.

giantrider89

Monkey
Oct 16, 2006
P-town, MN
why are there about 7 people playing in about 10 football fields of water?

I cant imagine any hotel or resort having the customer base to come close to halfway filling that thing......

The title "I want to drain this and ride around in it" had me confused for a bit - every time I see a big rigid pool liner sitting at a store I want to put an engine in it and use it as a boat. You could use yours as an aircraft carrier to an order of magnitude.

Then I figured out that you wanted to ride a bike inside the empty pool... d'oh.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
The title "I want to drain this and ride around in it" had me confused for a bit - every time I see a big rigid pool liner sitting at a store I want to put an engine in it and use it as a boat. You could use yours as an aircraft carrier to an order of magnitude.

Then I figured out that you wanted to ride a bike inside the empty pool... d'oh.
thanks for the explanation... I didn't think of it that way. I too thought he wanted to cruise the oceans in a GAINT pool.