Quantcast

I want to move to Europe.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Anyone here ever expatriated themselves to Europa? I've been fantasizing about a move to France or Germany for a number of reasons. I know it's quite the bitch to do, but I'm pretty much willing to do whatever it takes. Experiences?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I was thinking Bayern, Nice, Marseilles, or perhaps Paris. Most of Germany isn't terribly apetizing topoclimawise, but Bayern would be pretty cool. I know a good chunk of German, and a nibble of French...

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Language will be your biggest barrier, unless you are loaded. I think you can secure residence in some Euro countries by owning property there. At least other Euros can, I'm not sure about Yanks. France may make you life hard because you are American. Switzerland is about the hardest country in the world to get into, no matter what. Do you have any good transferable skills?

http://www.intransit-international.com/moving_france_visa_work.html

Beware most 3rd party internet 'immigration services' - notoriously dodgy! Only use ones you know to be reputable somehow.

1) Do your internet homework
2) Visit the French Embassy and chat to someone.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Changleen said:
Do you have any good transferable skills?
Not particularly, I just graduated from high school and I'm bound for college in January. I was planning for my major to be International Studies or Int. relations, thereby giving me a year of studying abroad, and hopefully a way out, but its become apparent I wouldn't be able to do that until my junior year, so I've been thinking about leaving earlier. I'm trying to figure out how much money I would need, what paperwork/red tape I would have to go through, how I would get into school there, and how I would get work there. I know there is a high demand in Germany for bilingual english/german speakers, and after a month or two in Germany, I think I could be fluent, as I already have a pretty good foundation as it is.

Maybe Canadia is in my future... :blah:

RaID

Turbo Monkey
schooling wise youll have to sit some entry exams (not a exactly a walk in the park) and you have to pay for your schooling, unless you can get a scholarship somehow

youre best bet is to get information from the country's embassy
get incontact with them and see what the options are

good luck

sidenote
probably the easiest would be to marry a person from the specific country you want to move to

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
blue said:
Not particularly, I just graduated from high school and I'm bound for college in January. I was planning for my major to be International Studies or Int. relations, thereby giving me a year of studying abroad, and hopefully a way out, but its become apparent I wouldn't be able to do that until my junior year, so I've been thinking about leaving earlier. I'm trying to figure out how much money I would need, what paperwork/red tape I would have to go through, how I would get into school there, and how I would get work there. I know there is a high demand in Germany for bilingual english/german speakers, and after a month or two in Germany, I think I could be fluent, as I already have a pretty good foundation as it is.

You can study abroad in your 2nd year if you want, or maybe even your 1st if you really fight and finagle for it. Or, you could just apply to a European university and do a few years to an entire degree there.

You generally can't just up and move to any country unless you can support yourself there and/or already have a job waiting for you...I'd look at schooling options there at your age. Graduating from a school there will put you in a good place, with contacts and support, to find a job. Plus, you shouldn'y really try emigrating anywhere unless you've already lived there and are 100% sure you want to do it. I almost tried this once and am glad I didn't.

And hell, going to school will give you ample time to find a hot chick to marry when you do finally want to emigrate. Seen it happen more than once.

Austria's a really cool place, too, btw...kind of the Canada of Germany, I think of it. Studied there for a semester and really enjoyed it.

MD

likwid

Chimp
Aug 1, 2005
My gf is in yurp right now and threatening not to come home (she's a swiss native), I may have to join her at the rate of the failure of this country.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
i think every college kid goes through the "screw you guys, I'll just leave the country" phase, though, even after college, it still doesn't sound like a bad idea. My vote would be for the French Riviera, where they happen to speak English very well and you can just lie on the beach all day.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
My girlfriends mother is German...maybe I should marry her... :p

I emailed the German, French, and Austrian embassies to see what they have to say. I think I'm going to talk to my university and see what they can do as far as studying abroad come next fall (or even this Jan...if I'm lucky.)

Oct 9, 2003
Google whatever country you're interested in "study in xxxxx" Most european countries have study programs for foreigners. I live in Denmark, it's a nice place, but the riding here sucks. So don't come for that. Danish people speak english more less fluently (we start learning it in 3rd or 5th grade), the chicks are willing, the beer is good, canabis is widely accepted and the schools are good. All education is free (we pay high taxes) - but I don't how it works for foreign students. I took a year at an american university and can fully recommend studying abroad.;-)

http://denmark.dk/portal/page?_pageid=374,477840&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Myself and Caitlin are setting ourselves up to go to Stuttgart for a year...probably Junior year, unless I can somehow hurry it up a little.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
blue said:

why dont you attend a university abroad for a while to get the feeling??? its a great way to meet another country and socialize with the locals.

its hard to be fluent in a language, i mean to the point of picking up the local slang, the cultural references and messing with the grammar for humour and stuff like that. thats what makes a good translator/bilingual who gets hired vs a person who speaks 2 languages. that can take a good year or so, even if you have a solid foundation.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
blue said:
My girlfriends mother is German...maybe I should marry her... :p

I emailed the German, French, and Austrian embassies to see what they have to say. I think I'm going to talk to my university and see what they can do as far as studying abroad come next fall (or even this Jan...if I'm lucky.)

you can also try to reach the universities directly. i´ve had much better results that way.
they all usually have a international students department, that is very informed and up to date on what you´d need and very helpful.
ask them to mail you brochures, application packages and stuff like that.
you can also try to reach cultural exchange institutions in the US. like a german-american council, or a french-american society or something like that.

the alliance francaise is the first one to come to my mind. i learnt french there.
if you are interested in going to school there, travelling or anything, they can give you lots of very useful information. they also have a fine french school.
google its website. i dont know if there is any german institution like the AF, but there should be....

edit. here it is
http://www.alliancefr.org

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
dan-o said:
After living there for 3 years I couldn't agree more.
we left there 5 months ago - yeah we did 3 years as well... screw europe... couldn t be happier... germans have something permanently lodged in their orifices... bunch of sad faced w@nkers if ya ask me...

the best crew i met in europe were the dutch and belgians... with the exception of that guy here 'kevin'... i think he s a german in disguise ;)... seriously... good people... relaxed, happy, helpful and cool... just like people should be...

'i hate cough syrup and i hate the food in europe'...

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
narlus said:
partsy, try living on N8's street in shreveport and report back to us.
Speaking of people with things lodged in their orifices.:rofl:
Blue- any of your grandparents from Europe? Might be a way in.
One of my grandfathers was English the other German. In the case of the English I know that's good enough for residency. Probably good enough for the Germans too.

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
i have family in italy, whom i never met, i think i'm going next year, thenagain my dad says that eevry year..it'll be cool..i really need to speak italian by then, is spanish the same as italian?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
habitatxskate said:
i have family in italy, whom i never met, i think i'm going next year, thenagain my dad says that eevry year..it'll be cool..i really need to speak italian by then, is spanish the same as italian?
Yeah. Spanish is *exactly* the same as Italian....... I'm really surprised they even call it "Italian" what with it being exactly the same. :rolleyes:

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
SkaredShtles said:
Yeah. Spanish is *exactly* the same as Italian....... I'm really surprised they even call it "Italian" what with it being exactly the same. :rolleyes:
:stupid:
Also remember that Chinese is good for Japan and Korea too.:rolleyes:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
valve bouncer said:
Speaking of people with things lodged in their orifices.:rofl:
Blue- any of your grandparents from Europe? Might be a way in.
One of my grandfathers was English the other German. In the case of the English I know that's good enough for residency. Probably good enough for the Germans too.
No, But as I said 9 months ago when I posted this thread (Who the hell ressurected this pile of crap, anyway?) my girlfriend's mom is German, moved here when she was 18. She's trying to get EU citizenship (renounced her German cit after she was naturalized), as she wants to move back when she retires...I'm still wondering if my gf could easily get residency, thereby, through that terrible thing known as marriage, get me residency.

Bjern Fita

Chimp
Mar 6, 2005
Åsgårdstrand, Norway
I'm moving to Norway in 2 weeks. Free education, even as a foreigner. Free health care too. Really strict rules for getting residency though, lucky for me I've got a knocked up Norwegian girlfriend.