Quantcast

I was almost hit...

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
by a damn hipster on a fixie! I stopped at a stop sign and started to turn left and he came flying by me without stopping, no helmet, and almost hit me. I was hoping he would plow the curb and dump it :disgust1:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
One time in the rain, a guy on a cruiser bike almost smacked me while I was in the crosswalk.

I asked him nicely to "stop" so we could talk about it.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
you should have gotten out of the car in a full sprint, tackled him, and took his bike.
I should clarify, I was on a bike as well...that was part of what pissed me off, he almost took out another cyclist

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Wearing his girlfriend's pants, a flannel, a Che' Guevara hat, some obscure Nike's they paid $500 for on Ebay? Probably was brakeless, had a 650c Aero front wheel, and chopped down MTB handlebars?

Next time, make it clear to this guy that it's a fashion statement, it's dangerous, and he will eventually end up in the windshield of a car.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Wearing his girlfriend's pants, a flannel, a Che' Guevara hat, some obscure Nike's they paid $500 for on Ebay? Probably was brakeless, had a 650c Aero front wheel, and chopped down MTB handlebars?

Next time, make it clear to this guy that it's a fashion statement, it's dangerous, and he will eventually end up in the windshield of a car.
You're close..capri pants, trendy cap with bullhorn bars instead of mtb...and yes, he was brakeless.

JewBagel

Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
oregon
I tried to make that point once to a kid who had come into the shop I was working at. He kept saying it wasn't a fad and that it was "so much more pure" than riding a SS with brakes. Mind you he was on a 300$ bikesdirect fixie special and wearing girl pants, dyed black hair, a lip and nose ring, etc... I asked him how long he had been riding bike and he said he had bought the fixie 3 months ago and it was the first bike he had since he was 7...first bike in 13 years. Yet because he was riding a fixie he automaticall knew more about cycling than a shop mechanic.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
Lately in Manhattan i see more hipsters walking their bikes with a starbucks and a Mac in their hands than ones actually riding

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I'm considered a bit of a hipster by my friends and still i cant understand the idea of fixie with no breaks. It's like using a sheep intestine as a form of birth control. It may be back to the roots but besides that you're spoiling the idea.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I got hit by a fixie rider while I was track standing at a stop light. Apparently he could not stop in time and knocked my back wheel. He made me fall clipped in.

Hate fixies.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I got hit by a fixie rider while I was track standing at a stop light. Apparently he could not stop in time and knocked my back wheel. He made me fall clipped in.
Did you then make him fall? I'm heading home in a few, hope I don't drilled by some jacka** with no brakes