Quantcast

I was the victim of a stabbing

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I was in my backyard cutting a hole in a cigar with a knife because I couldnt find my cigar punch. We have one of those freestanding cloth hammocks under a tree back there and I was joining my wife on the hammock the cloth ripped and we both went tumbling down. We laid there for a minute in shock and then went over to the porch to sit there instead... thats when I noticed I had a 1/4" long wound in my knee. Seems in the fall I had stabbed myself in the knee quite hard... today (2 days later) it hurts a bit to bend my knee fully as the stab went directly into the area where the cartilage is. Doesnt hurt to ride though :thumb:.

You could see on the blade how deep it went... a little over 1/4 of an inch. So basically I jabbed myself in the bone.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
golgiaparatus said:
You could see on the blade how deep it went... a little over 1/4 of an inch. So basically I jabbed myself in the bone.

I sat on an x-acto knife once. I felt a little pain in my ass and stood back up with the thing sticking out of my left cheek. It was sunk to the hilt. I plucked it out and it didn't even bleed. Just stung a little.

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
dam, I thought this was going to be a good thread..oh yeah please don't use guns around your house..ha...ha...

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Did you seek medical attention at all?

I had to rush a golf buddy on mine to the ER for 88 stitches after his thigh was unzipped by a freak accidental meeting with one of my pocketed switchblades that popped open while stored in a front pants pocket. It looked like he had a second bloody mouth in his thigh and the muscle damage caused him to miss a few hocky games, but all-in-all not a bad trade-off given the proximity of the wound to his babymaker.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
llkoolkeg said:
Did you seek medical attention at all?

I had to rush a golf buddy on mine to the ER for 88 stitches after his thigh was unzipped by a freak accidental meeting with one of my pocketed switchblades that popped open while stored in a front pants pocket. It looked like he had a second bloody mouth in his thigh and the muscle damage caused him to miss a few hocky games, but all-in-all not a bad trade-off given the proximity of the wound to his babymaker.
Jesus... no I'm okay, my blade was just a little guy. The same that I use to cut loose the vegis in my garden.

But Jesus! WTF are you doing with a switchblade in your pocket that can cause 88 stitches plus muscle damage... also, wtf are you doing with it in your front pants pocket if it can open accidentally? Is is retired now... oh and Jesus!

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
What I want to know, how did your buddy get cut when it was in your pocket..???...then again I don't want to know...

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
llkoolkeg said:
I had to rush a golf buddy on mine to the ER for 88 stitches after his thigh was unzipped by a freak accidental meeting with one of my pocketed switchblades that popped open while stored in a front pants pocket.

This begs the question, when this accident occured was the switchblade his front pocket or yours?:eek:

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
ktmsx said:
What I want to know, how did your buddy get cut when it was in your pocket..???...then again I don't want to know...
exactly...

Benchmade makes a couple of great autos that have a lock FWIW

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
golgiaparatus said:
But Jesus! WTF are you doing with a switchblade in your pocket that can cause 88 stitches plus muscle damage... also, wtf are you doing with it in your front pants pocket if it can open accidentally? Is is retired now... oh and Jesus!
It was truly a freak accident. After playing 18 holes, I started packing up my gear into the car and relocating my pocket things back into my pockets from my golf bag when one of the guys suggested "replaying" 9 of the holes distant from the clubhouse/ starter's hut. We discretely repacked our stuff onto the golf carts and headed off to poach a few extra holes, fueled by many beers and a generous serving of the dank.

Well, karma got the better of us and while bouncing along in the cart on our way to the third bonus hole, I reached into my right front pocket to retrieve my ball and apparently somehow triggered the recessed activation button on my 4" tanto automatic. After hitting his drive, Scott(my buddy) was sitting down in the passenger seat of the golf cart at the exact moment I was standing up to tee my ball. In a nanosecond, the blade, which though activated had been held shut by being constricted in my seated pants pocket, sprang open and through my pants pointing towards my buddy just as he was flopping into the passenger seat. So basically, the blade was aiming at his thigh while the handle was butted against my own so when he flopped in next to me as I started to rise, his leg was flayed open.

It was so sharp a knife, he didn't even feel the wound at first and it took a few seconds before it started pouring blood. I raced him back to my car and then to the ER just as the pain, lightheadedness and nausea began to grip him. He's a tough cat, though, and plays adult league hockey, so he's not a stranger to injury. Most of my friends are similar rough-n-tumble types and it was obviously a freak accident, so after some creative editing, we were able to tell the admitting doctor a believable enough story that he agreed not to file the mandatory police report for so serious a knife wound. To this day, Scott still refers to it jokingly as "The Day Chris Stabbed Me".

I still have the blade to this day, it is currently in my right front pocket(though in a ballistic nylon sheath) and anyone who has ridden with me at the 'shed more than a few times is likely familiar with it...a black 4" Benchmade ATS-34 Automatic Tanto. I did a lot of testing with it in the sheath and was even able to replicate the inadvertent button activation, but as long as I carry it in the sheath, it cannot open up at all to expose point or edge. Too bad it took such a scary event to teach me that even well-made, recessed-button switchblades are capable of accidental openings given the right combination of circumstances. Had we decided even five seconds earlier to play the extra holes, the knife would have been still safely contained in the shoe pocket of my golf bag rather than in my pants pocket.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
jdschall said:
I sat on an x-acto knife once. I felt a little pain in my ass and stood back up with the thing sticking out of my left cheek. It was sunk to the hilt. I plucked it out and it didn't even bleed. Just stung a little.
the same exact thing happened to me when I was about 10 or 11. No blood, very little pain. I still have a scar on my left cheek from it.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Most cigars have a little "cap" on the shoulder of the cigar that seals the end. Much better to peel that off with your front teeth for a clean edge than the ol' steak knife approach in my opinion. Steak knives always leave a rough edge and you end up picking leaf off your tongue the whole time....and you get stabbed.