Quantcast

I watched an incovenient truth last night

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Oh sure mankind will probably be just a blip on the history of the earth but and our end will most likely be our own doing the questions is do you want that end to come sooner or later? Your house will eventually rot away and fall down so why not just light it on fire now?
But the weeping mortar will live on to infinity.....

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Oh sure mankind will probably be just a blip on the history of the earth but and our end will most likely be our own doing the questions is do you want that end to come sooner or later? Your house will eventually rot away and fall down so why not just light it on fire now?

perhaps you also need to get right with jesus too..

i mean just in case...

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
The extreme views and oversimplification of the environmental debate are what i find offputting. I'm addicted to oil yet lead an environmentally balanced life overall (modest house, low consumerism, low impact business etc) yet the prius driver giving me the stink-eye thinks he's superior because he's saving gas on the 75mile commute from his 5000 sq/ft house packed with chinese made crap.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
The extreme views and oversimplification of the environmental debate are what i find offputting. I'm addicted to oil yet lead an environmentally balanced life overall (modest house, low consumerism, low impact business etc) yet the prius driver giving me the stink-eye thinks he's superior because he's saving gas on the 75mile commute from his 5000 sq/ft house packed with chinese made crap.
If the oversimplification puts you off, please don't oversimplify. Self-off-putting should only be done in private.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Maybe this might help you;
http://home.wanadoo.nl/bijkerk/Kreutz_J__1_[2].pdf

It is also known the ice core samples show that increases in CO2 lags increases in temp... not the other way around.
N8.

I'm sure you read this part at the beginning.

While a global spike of short duration is condidered to be hightly impossible, the observations of Kreutz are usually dealt with as primitve, coarse and with unawareness of anthropogenic factors and hence to be discarded. Therefore it is desirable to examine the original research of Kreutz to validate that judgment.
Read the thing will you? Their methodology is about as complex as a high school science project. They at least noted barometric pressure changes, wind etc but then they didn't control for them.

No wonder this thing keeps getting brought up. It provides a convenient number but it doesn't mean anything.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004

i mean just in case...
WTF do you keep bringing religion into this? It has nothing to do with it (other than being a convenient barb for you to utilize).

You're the one who voted for the current crusades. Maybe YOU should get right with Jesus? You may need to get a head start on the whole forgivness thing.

You and all of the other idiots who voted to murder Arabs and the planet.

I can sleep at night. Unfortunately so can you - sans conscience.

Dick.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I am not saying that Global Warming doesn't exist any more than I am saying Jeebus doesn't exist...

but I am saying that information on the subject is, more often than not, incorrectly potrayed as stone-cold fact by the media when it is at best conjecture and theory.
But the MAJORITY of the rebuttals are either coming from backing with an interest to to debunk it, or like that Kreutz "paper".....completely lacking in proper methodology and arhaic as hell.

You keep going on and on about the need to believe in global warming, but you're little republican rah rah squad is doing the exact same thing with a much less convincing body of work to do so. I'll agree that there are plenty on your oposing political team that don't understand it either........but there's a sh1t ton more evidence for them to work with that was conducted on sound science. Not some lacky getting money from exxon who thinks he's a biologist.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
...tell the militant environmentalists to sell it like it is, truth in advertising and all. Instead of the "OMG we are all going to get baked by the sun and be destroyed because you drive an SUV and use hairspray"...
just cuz you don't like how the message is delivered or by whom, doesn't give you permission to ignore the message.

ad hominem?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
i am saying that nature causes forest fires and that there is nothing we can really do to stop them from happening (short of cutting down all the trees I suppose).

We can react once they happen but it's pretty much impossible to stop them from occuring.

Global Warming could be similar... we can't stop it from happening... i
We can stop man-caused fires and we should stop those.

Suppose the little bad that man does is the tipping point to setting off global warming disaster?

Isn't it better to err on the side of caution?

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
WTF do you keep bringing religion into this? It has nothing to do with it (other than being a convenient barb for you to utilize).

You're the one who voted for the current crusades. Maybe YOU should get right with Jesus? You may need to get a head start on the whole forgivness thing.

You and all of the other idiots who voted to murder Arabs and the planet.

I can sleep at night. Unfortunately so can you - sans conscience.

Dick.

I am a nonbeliever... in jeebus nor your Church of Global Warming.

Deacon.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
We can stop man-caused fires and we should stop those.

Suppose the little bad that man does is the tipping point to setting off global warming disaster?

Isn't it better to err on the side of caution?

Perhaps...

Or maybe fighting a problem that may not exist is kind of silly...

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
Sorry to come so late to the party all...

i mean just in case...
Oh, the irony. You and Kihaji are invoking the Creationist style of argument that no evidence will ever be enough to convince you that global warming (or evolution in the case of the Creationist) is real/caused by man/etc. For every "missing link" there are two more created by it say the Creationists. For every fact dug up in a complex system, there's always some room to insert your, "Well I'm not convinced" line of argumentation.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Perhaps...

Or maybe fighting a problem that may not exist is kind of silly...
I completely agree.

In fact, what if Global Warming is real and there is benefits to it... I reference the Everglades in south Florida. The only ecosystem of it's kind that's being destroyed. A warmer, wetter planet would help such eco-systems.

But I don't really see how that helps man and since I'm selfish, I think we should try to minimize polution. Even if it does nothing for global warming, it'll make my lungs, blood, organs just a little cleaner.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus

ding ding

WINNER!

For the moment, belonging to the Church of Global Warming makes one socially accepted and gives its members a 'holier than thou' elistist attitude without really making them do anything other than profess belief in GW whether or not they actually understand the subject or not.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
But I don't really see how that helps man and since I'm selfish, I think we should try to minimize polution. Even if it does nothing for global warming, it'll make my lungs, blood, organs just a little cleaner.
We already know the effects of pollution on such things as asthma, etc, which has definitely been caused by increased levels of man-made pollution.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
ding ding

WINNER!

For the moment, belonging to the Church of Global Warming makes one socially accepted and gives its members a 'holier than thou' elistist attitude without really making them do anything other than profess belief in GW whether or not they actually understand the subject or not.
Rubbish. What "social acceptance" are you talking about? Are you seriously trying to wipe away years and years of scientific research by saying it's a popularity contest?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
We already know the effects of pollution on such things as asthma, etc, which has definitely been caused by increased levels of man-made pollution.
I don't know the studies, but I'm guessing it's that pollution is bad for people as individuals, yeah?

that's why we should "prevent"/"fix" this so-called "global warming"... for the immediate benefit of me.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
well, I don't really care, I was just sayin' there might be some benefit to the planet if it got warmer. But I like how it is now and don't think we should break it.
perhaps global warming has historically advanced mankind... for example the end of the ice age which brought about the dawn of modern mankind...

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
I don't know the studies, but I'm guessing it's that pollution is bad for people as individuals, yeah?

that's why we should "prevent"/"fix" this so-called "global warming"... for the immediate benefit of me.
Sorry, I didn't make it clear that I was agreeing with you. I was saying that you are correct that at the very least, we could combat problems that we know are already associated with pollution levels.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
perhaps global warming has historically advanced mankind... for example the end of the ice age which brought about the dawn of modern mankind...
In all cases in the past, the global warming/cooling has been from natural variability of the Earth. That's what you refuse to get. Yes, the Earth and the Earth's inhabitants will adapt to meet the natural changes of the planet. What we are seeing now, however, is man imposing change on the Earth, instead of the other way around, and at a much quicker pace than in any previous change.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
In all cases in the past, the global warming/cooling has been from natural variability of the Earth. That's what you refuse to get. Yes, the Earth and the Earth's inhabitants will adapt to meet the natural changes of the planet. What we are seeing now, however, is man imposing change on the Earth, instead of the other way around, and at a much quicker pace than in any previous change.
man never will conquer nature....

the earth shrugs and a quarter of a million people die in a tidal wave...

gonna stop tidal waves next?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
ding ding

WINNER!

Um, I wasn't necessarily agreeing with you as I feel both sides of the debate are equally at fault for misinformation.

There's no denying there has been and will continue to be damage due to civilization, it's an unavoidable by-product. IMO the key is finding ways to manage the damage without throwing the world on its head.

I see it as no different than trying to limit the very real damage bikes cause to trails. Yes it occurs but little considerations in technique can greatly reduce the overall effects.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
man never will conquer nature....

the earth shrugs and a quarter of a million people die in a tidal wave...

gonna stop tidal waves next?
Man is not trying to conquer nature. We are trying to conquer our own influence on nature. Trees are much stronger than I am, so if I saw one in half and it falls, well might as well try to stop a tidal wave, right?

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Um, I wasn't necessarily agreeing with you as I feel both sides of the debate are equally at fault for misinformation.

There's no denying there has been and will continue to be damage due to civilization, it's an unavoidable by-product. IMO the key is finding ways to manage the damage without throwing the world on its head.

I see it as no different than trying to limit the very real damage bikes cause to trails. Yes it occurs but little considerations in technique can greatly reduce the overall effects.
Well, I am not saying global warming doesnt exist... i am not a believer in it though. I say let the hardcore science stand or fall on its own merits then decide. The proof is in there someplace and eventually it will be understood.

until then, don't have a knee-jerk reaction to what the media says. their job is to create crisis.

along with that as well... don't believe a wanna be in power again ex-politician with an adgenda based film...