Quantcast

I went digital!!! got me a Digital SLR!

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Well, I have been shooting with a borowed digi cam for the past few years.:rolleyes:

I love shooting film with a camera that would instantly focus and snap perfect photos, and the ability to change lenses to fit specific situations was the reason I had stayed with 35mm slr cameras.

I have been wanting a digital SLR for years but the cost was way too high, and the shudderlag was still too slow on the less expensive cams.
I was talking with my dad about wanting one the other day and he said that he would help me out with paying for it. My father is an artist and loves cameras too!!! here are a few of his shots on his site http://www.thomasbrunger.com/photopage.html
we went out last night and bought a NIKON D50 with a nice 18-55 nikon lens. for the money I couldn't pass up the deal I got. I thought about a CANON digital rebel xt, but it was a little too expensive, and the lenses for my NIKON f4 will work with the D50, so it was a no brainer!!!

NOW I just have to learn all the functions...:drool: this thing is pretty sweet for the money!!! now I should have some ride photos to show!!! GIDDEUP!!!

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Brungeman, sorry my life has been nuts the 3 past days. Killer to hear you got the camera, we will have to do a ton of shooting coming up here...

I think you'll be pleased with the D50. I've had mine for a couple of months now, haven't got to use it as much as I would like to but love it when I do get to use it. Mine has one hot pixel on the ccd but nothing to moan and groan over, only really shows up at really high ISO's and even then its about a 1 sec fix in post processing.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I think you'll be pleased with the D50. I've had mine for a couple of months now, haven't got to use it as much as I would like to but love it when I do get to use it. Mine has one hot pixel on the ccd but nothing to moan and groan over, only really shows up at really high ISO's and even then its about a 1 sec fix in post processing.
that kinda sucks about the hot spot!!! I bought an extended warantee for it that covers stuff like that. I am still freaked about the whole electronic thing... I can visuallize gears and mechanical things not working, and have fixed minor probs on my film slr, but when it comes to all the microprocessors etc. you can have it!!! I want someone else looking at it!!!:)

brungeman said:
that kinda sucks about the hot spot!!! I bought an extended warantee for it that covers stuff like that. I am still freaked about the whole electronic thing... I can visuallize gears and mechanical things not working, and have fixed minor probs on my film slr, but when it comes to all the microprocessors etc. you can have it!!! I want someone else looking at it!!!:)
To be honest the first D50 I got wouldnt autofocus at all, I got it replaced within the first week. I could probably send this one off since i still have about 10 months on the warranty, I may do it before its out. I think its a fairly common problem among DSLRs and some manufacturers even require a certain number of hot spots before they will remap the ccd.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
hell yeah send it back to get fixed!!! that is a great shot BTW! I looked at the flashes briefly but kinda was more concerned with the memory, and not spending past the point where Bek would kill me!!!

brungeman said:
hell yeah send it back to get fixed!!! that is a great shot BTW! I looked at the flashes briefly but kinda was more concerned with the memory, and not spending past the point where Bek would kill me!!!
I probably will send it in now that the holidays are over, didn't really want to lose the camera for 2 weeks and miss christmas pics. My wife wasnt all that happy when I bought the flash but once she saw the difference it made in the pics she was more than happy.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
brungeman, so you know the flash that i was showing you over the weekend (canon 430 ex)? Finally got to start using it on the pup...This was shot under the diningroom table using the flash pointed veriticle to "bounce" the light and not make him look all burnt. Flashes are a good thing.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Nice :thumb:

I've been drooling over a D200 but am delaying gratification so I can bank some money for school ;)

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I know that dog!!! and I know there isn't a mean bone in his body, but he looks like he isn't too sure of what to make of you being there with him!!! he is lookin at you sayin "stay away from me and my chewed up bone!!!"

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
brungeman said:
I know that dog!!! and I know there isn't a mean bone in his body, but he looks like he isn't too sure of what to make of you being there with him!!! he is lookin at you sayin "stay away from me and my chewed up bone!!!"
he was so pissed, esp because i had to lie to him to get him to look at the camera like that...

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
What kinda lies did you tell him to get him to look? I thought he would have been looking at you pretty intensely without any lies!!!:)

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
i asked him if he wasnted to go for a walk or if he wanted a "cookie"...he wasnt a happy camper when he knew both werent true.

Sorry to derail your thread and steal your thunder. Are you going to bring the d50 on sunday?

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Yep!!! Apolo is a go!!! 10 oclock Sunday it is!!! I am stoked!!! where did your Parents get that cam bag/back pack? I am not sure if that is what I want for riding, but it sure is SWEEEET you marthafokker!!!

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
hey five what did you get? I had a Nikon FM that was stolen, and then I purchased a NIkon F4 that is sweet, but I hadn't used it much cause of the lack of lenses!!! But the D50 is sweet so far!!!

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
brungeman said:
hey five what did you get? I had a Nikon FM that was stolen, and then I purchased a NIkon F4 that is sweet, but I hadn't used it much cause of the lack of lenses!!! But the D50 is sweet so far!!!
I've got a D70 and a D100. I traded in my F3 w/ motor and a couple of nice Nikkor lenses (105 f/1.8 and 300 f/4) for the D70. I kept my Nikkormat, F and F2AS along w/ 3 other non-autofocus lenses. Lenses for the DSLR cameras, I have a 80-200 f/2.8, 18-70 f/3.5-4.5, 10.5 f/2.8 fisheye. I also got a couple of SB-600 flashes. The best thing I bought was a wireless remote for the D70. Check my sig for a photos I took at The Gathering this past weekend.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Check my sig for a photos I took at The Gathering this past weekend.
sweet shots!!! I have a bunch of film cameras and like em all for different reasons. I still think one of my favorite cams is an old Pentax spotmatic! after my FM was stolen,:mad: I started using it a lot again.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
brungeman said:
Yep!!! Apolo is a go!!! 10 oclock Sunday it is!!! I am stoked!!! where did your Parents get that cam bag/back pack? I am not sure if that is what I want for riding, but it sure is SWEEEET you marthafokker!!!
It is called the Burton Zoom, if you want one you better act fast, I think they may have discontinued it or atleast stopped it for the season. My guess is that they sell very few of that pack...

Brungeman went from newb to monkey in about 3.5 minutes, you keep this post rate up and you will pass my count by tomorrow.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
robdamanii said:
How's the shutter lag on the D50?

I've been looking at one for use as an underwater camera that can take good topside pics too, and need something with a real small shutter lag.
I would imagine it's similar to the D70 - and there is *no* noticeable lag at all on that one.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Brungeman went from newb to monkey in about 3.5 minutes, you keep this post rate up and you will pass my count by tomorrow.
BWAhaha!!!yea but I still post like a newB!!! I still havent stopped to figure out how to quote with the "original post" thing in it... I just copy and paste then use the "Quote" tag thing... Oh well!!!
I will check out that bag!!! did they buy it online or did they get it at a shop?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
brungeman said:
BWAhaha!!!yea but I still post like a newB!!! I still havent stopped to figure out how to quote with the "original post" thing in it...
Neither have i:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: ;)

Cool newz bout the camera. i've been having fun sharing photos with my camera too, maybe someday i'll get an SLR and try to become a real photographer, but so spensive!!!:)

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
brungeman said:
BWAhaha!!!yea but I still post like a newB!!! I still havent stopped to figure out how to quote with the "original post" thing in it... I just copy and paste then use the "Quote" tag thing... Oh well!!!
I will check out that bag!!! did they buy it online or did they get it at a shop?
www.froogle.com

do a search noob!

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
WOW!!! that is beautiful! great shot and great composition!!! nice job!!! it looks like a poster or pic in one of their pamphlets!!!

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Thats a great kit you got there what all do you have? is there room for a second body? it looks like you have it pretty well equiped!!! how much room is there in addition to the camera section? would there be room for other stuff? cause Manhattanprjkt83 will tell you I ride with a full I mean FULL camelback Mule... almost enough tools to do a trailside rebuild, enough water gu and cliff bars to go around, and tubes in both 26 and 29 sizes just in case... the last thing I would want is to have one of our group walking and not riding out of the woods!!! cause as we all say... "Chicks dig us cause we ride our bikes in the woods":rolleyes:

sweet stuff!!!

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Brunger, I dont know if i would run the pack for a mtb ride, i mean if your sole purpose was to shoot then it would rock, but there isnt a spot for a bladder in the pack, you would have to run bottles...the compartment at the top would fit all the riding stuff you could want eg tools, tubes, gu...but a pump might be a problem...

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
brungeman said:
Thats a great kit you got there what all do you have? is there room for a second body? it looks like you have it pretty well equiped!!! how much room is there in addition to the camera section? would there be room for other stuff?
I would have to make room for a second body by taking the video camera out or maybe the long lens.

The external pockets can carry a good deal of tools, parts, food, etc. Especially the large top compartment. The only challenge is a hydration bladder. I've taken to just strapping it externally with the ski/board carrying straps.

In that picture I'm carrying:

body
16mm fisheye
28-70
70-200
1.4 TC
2 strobes
video camera +wide angle lens

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
justsomeguy said:
I would have to make room for a second body by taking the video camera out or maybe the long lens.

The external pockets can carry a good deal of tools, parts, food, etc. Especially the large top compartment. The only challenge is a hydration bladder. I've taken to just strapping it externally with the ski/board carrying straps.

In that picture I'm carrying:

body
16mm fisheye
28-70
70-200
1.4 TC
2 strobes
video camera +wide angle lens
...and a partridge in a pear tree.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
In my Burton Zoom Camera compartment:

Canon Body
2.8 Fisheye 14mm
28-70mm
Canon 420 EX flash
hoods
cases for both flash and lenses
lense cleaning equipment
batterys

Still a bunch of room, hopefully will need to dump the kit lens to make room for my spare body soon ;)