Quantcast

I Went Full-Lizard

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I was never happy with the RF bar I was running, as I noticed too late that it was 725mm and way too skinny, but I ran it for a couple seasons anyway. The stem was a PITA ritchey, super light, but the tiny T20 bolts went in backwards on the bottom side, and the 260° wrap made it all but impossible to remove a bar without scratching the hell out of it, like when I travel. I have a Ritchey 220° WCS trail and it does not suffer from these issues. So replacing both of these, I figured what the hell, bypass the normal $$$ envy stem and just go Full-Lizard. This only saves about 7g, but this is the AM version, it's 780mm and shorter than my previous stem. Will be doing some testing tomorrow on a training ride.
IMG_6331.JPG
IMG_6333.JPG

IMG_6338.JPG

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Who makes that again?
well, Scott, basically. It says Syncros, but Scott bought them out a few years back. They make a much lighter version, but I realize I ride pretty hard and this is a pretty critical component, plus I wanted wider. Now, I did start out with one of those funky wrap-around scott bars like 25 years ago...so full circle?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Well, you gotta put it in context, I was running a Next SL bar, something crazy light at 185gm, but it was way too skinny. The stem was also crazy light, but a little too long and I hated the T20 (yes, T20) bolts it used. Because of the design, every time I removed the bar for transport I scratched the hell out of it.

I spent a long time though considering the reach and width, and I'm glad I did, I think I made the right choice. Only saved 8gm from those stupid-light parts, but gained a ton more strength. Hell, this is a bargain compared to a $280 Envy stem :D